• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    I've tried the drop in heater in a bucket with nipples, and it didn't work. The small amount of water in the nipples easily freezes. Circulation might help, but I went back to the metal waterer on a heater. I haven't found anything better. It's on a 100' extension cord through the winter (along with a 120V infrared heat lamp in the coop).

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    On similar topic anyone doing this no electrity? I don't want power in my coop and have been hauling new water every day.

I built a small kerosene wick lamp inside a metal stand that holds the metal bottom waterer. It can go about three days between refills of kero. Basically took a metal bucket and cut the bottom out and added an air hole at the bottom for the stand. One of those big honking candles work too.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I wrapped the coop with plastic. I purchased one of the buckets with heatet from rural king, I have it plugged into a thermostat that kicks on and runs to 40 degrees. I fill every couple of days. I have 10 hens.

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    Walked outside in just a shirt this morning.

Thought about this thread.
    LOL. Also thought of this thread at 4am this morning. Let sons dog out and had to go retrieve her-she wouldn't move after potty session. Looked over at coop and all hens were squeezed so tight on roost, you couldn't drive a nail between them.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    Rural King has a heated waterer for $65. 3 gallon jug is removable. Pointed at the top to keep them roosting $hiting in it. Has a removable grate for when they do. No hauling out water to coup. Just bring the jug in and fill it up from the slop sink and take it back out. Done. Best money we spent on chickens. It take twenty chickens 2 days to empty it. In the summer we run four waterer soldiers and change out weekly. Don't waste money on the $30 heated pan, they are junk and not outdoor or water proof and stop working within a month.

Top Bottom