• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldridgj2003

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    central indiana
    I put a bull barrel on my 10/22 pretty much as soon as I purchased it. This gun jams ammo all the time. I only use Ruger magazines and have experimented with 4 different ones and all of them give the same results. Should I be doing some adjustment to the barrel or ditch it and find another gun which is cheap and fun.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Are you using the 10 rd mag or the 25 rd mags. If you are using the ruger bx25 mag that may the problem. Out of the box they have feeding issues. Easy fix for it though.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Is it a Tactical Solutions barrel?

I ask because my Buckmark barrel has a tight chamber. Factory barrel thing ran like a champ, with that barrel, FTE, failure to fires, etc.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Are you using the 10 rd mag or the 25 rd mags. If you are using the ruger bx25 mag that may the problem. Out of the box they have feeding issues. Easy fix for it though.

Never heard of this. I've got a few of the BX25 mags, and the first two I bought (when they were fresh to market) were ran through a machine gun multiple times with no issues. Whats the problem with them??

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    I put a bull barrel on my 10/22 pretty much as soon as I purchased it. This gun jams ammo all the time. I only use Ruger magazines and have experimented with 4 different ones and all of them give the same results. Should I be doing some adjustment to the barrel or ditch it and find another gun which is cheap and fun.

if it is a good quality bull barrel, i guarentee you its the ammo. i've got 5 10-22's and 4 of them have after market barrels. remingtons,federals, and any other bulk "cheap" ammo will either not feed, not fire, not eject, etc,

you get the picture.

what barrel do you have? what ammo have you tried?

eley, cci, rws, lapua, all work well, but are more pricey.

i've got all of the above ammo and you are welcome to try mine to see if thats the problem if you live anywhere close.

daryll

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Never heard of this. I've got a few of the BX25 mags, and the first two I bought (when they were fresh to market) were ran through a machine gun multiple times with no issues. Whats the problem with them??

I bought two and FTF with both. I googled it and it seemed to be a common problem. Fix was take them apart, soak them in warm water w/soap, let dry, reassemble. Have not had a problem since.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Buy a box of CCI Minimags, if it still isn't running right, then it sounds like you need to have a little throating done to the barrel.

downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    what ammo are you using with the rifle? I have found that remmington does not work well with my 10/22.
    Are you using the factory V-block? when you have a bull barrel and expecially a nicer one, you want to upgrade you V-block.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I think we all need a better description of how it is jamming before we can really help you out.

^^^^^^^^^^This!
    Is it taking the round out of the mag? Is it not feeding that round into the chamber? Is it not ejecting the spent casing? Each of these has different solutions. If it's an ejection issue it could be your ejector isn't seated properly or something a Volquartsen exact edge extractor might fix. If it's not feeding that's a whole separate issue. If it's not striping the round out of the magazine, yet another issue. I know these things can be frustrating, but identifying where the problem lies is crucial to relieving the frustration.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy

I'll try to help. Just give that POS to me and your troubles are over. :) Seriously, lots of aftermarket barrels do have tighter chambers than the Ruger factory barrel. This may or may not be the problem. I've had barrels from several well respected companies. Most worked very well but a couple I have seen touted highly here had over 50% failures to feed and/or extract. As suggested above, "ammo jams" doesn't tell us much. Specifics on the barrel, the ammo, and the nature of the failures might help.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you can get ahold of some cci mini mags you can eliminate the ammo being the issue. It a 22 won't run with mini mags it is not an ammo issue. Getting some might be an issue.

I say say get a spot ready for the race tomorrow any race and take it apart and put it back together again. Slowly with YouTube channel available to answer any issues you might tun into. Good scrubbing and look for any wear marks or ruff areas. Can not do any harm just do not rush it. Lots of ruger build sights with fine info on them covering anything from mild to wild.

I have age a ruger target with match chamber barrel and it states to use match ammo. That thing will run with bulk stuff but does prefer the better ammo. I do not get many jams with it either. Has to be something simple.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I bought two and FTF with both. I googled it and it seemed to be a common problem. Fix was take them apart, soak them in warm water w/soap, let dry, reassemble. Have not had a problem since.

Just curious, what does this do to fix the issue? I have a BX-25 that wouldn't feed. I was just about to call Ruger about it.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    10/22 magazines do need to be disassembled and cleaned from time-to-time but I've never had an issue with a new one. Who knows what may be happening in the assembly process today, though.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Is the extractor notch properly aligned? Stock V block? Is the rod and spring factory? Binding? Appropriate spring for the ammo you have? Are you running a bolt buffer? Getting spent cases stuck in the action?

Top Bottom