• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob Wyre

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greetings All.

Need advice on a non-electric transfer pump to move gasoline, off road diesel, and kerosene from 55 gal. drums to 5 gal. containers, ect. Would like to use a single pump but am begining to think that I may have to have one for gasoline and one for diesel/kerosen. I realize that the seals are different for gasoling as compared to diesel/kerosen.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    A couple of points....

1. Depending on the pump you get it may not seal the drum against moisture. The Harbor Freight $20 rotary pump comes to mind. I guess it's not a big deal if you pull the pump and put the bung back on the drum but it's got to be a mess. In addition the HF special spout is threaded to some off the wall metric thread which doesn't support standard US pipe threads / hoses. It can be fixed with a US pipe thread tap but again, it's extra work.
    2. The GPI piston pumps that you can get at Tractor Supply seem to work out pretty well and they do seal the drum. The come with standard fittings / hoses but they cost a lot more than the HF special.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I got mine from Grainger. For some reason I can't remember the brand name right now, which is bad because I've used them at work for 25 years.
    They're good pumps but they are high priced. They have both rotory and piston.
    A lot of barrel pumps won't properly screw into some of the newer plastic drums because of a raised lip around the bung hole.
    I wouldn't use a plastic barrel for fuel though.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    A couple of points....

2. The GPI piston pumps that you can get at Tractor Supply seem to work out pretty well and they do seal the drum. The come with standard fittings / hoses but they cost a lot more than the HF special.
    We have these on all our rigs, they work great, and you CAN get parts for them.

Bob Wyre

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    I will check into tractor supply style stores for pumps.
    I will be using metal drums which were previously filled with motor oil.
    I will be removing the pump from the drum when not in use and tightly closing the bungs.
    Any preference of rotary vs. piston style pump?

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I will check into tractor supply style stores for pumps.
    I will be using metal drums which were previously filled with motor oil.
    I will be removing the pump from the drum when not in use and tightly closing the bungs.
    Any preference of rotary vs. piston style pump?

Rotary is usually easier to modify, if need be, for powered use.

Top Bottom