• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Part Description: A genuine Colt part, this ambidextrous AR-15 safety is made of high quality mil-spec steel. Fits Full Auto M16 rifles. All NFA rules apply.

I guess my next question would be why this one if you have a semi-auto rifle

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    If you own a dremel tool or a hand file you can easily modify it so that it is semi-auto only. Appendix B of the BATFE handbook approves doing this, and you are running an unnecessary legal risk if you don't modify it.

diagramlg.jpg

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    I understood the rules to be if the single part doesnt make the firearm a machinegun it is okay to install it. Example would be using a fa bolt carrier in a semi only rifle. I dont see using just the safety as intent, unless you have a gun full of fa parts I believe it to be okay.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My question is, why would someone pay $40 for a single part they don't really need when they could get a full LPK for about $20 more.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    I would pay the extra for a single part if it worked the way I needed it to or wanted it to. Or just to be shallow, if it looked the way I wanted it to.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I understood the rules to be if the single part doesnt make the firearm a machinegun it is okay to install it. Example would be using a fa bolt carrier in a semi only rifle. I dont see using just the safety as intent, unless you have a gun full of fa parts I believe it to be okay.

In that case, he doesn't have to worry about you prosecuting him. It would probably still be a good idea to follow the BATFE guidelines though to improve his odds with all of the other prosecutors.

I know that probably sounds snarky, but it is not meant that way. I am just pointing out that not being prosecuted in the first place is better than being technically correct, and your chances of prosecution drop significantly with some very simple modifications.

Last edited:

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The reason I chose this one was because it was ambidextrous and I like the look of it.I'm getting a full auto bcg as well.I'm just trying to understand if it's a problem.It seems like it would either not go into the third position or the third position would be another SAFE setting.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The reason I chose this one was because it was ambidextrous and I like the look of it.I'm getting a full auto bcg as well.I'm just trying to understand if it's a problem.It seems like it would either not go into the third position or the third position would be another SAFE setting.

No autosear (or LL, etc.), no problem. Hell, you can even own the auto sear as long as you don't mill and drill the lower to accept it.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

Why not just play it safe and buy an ambidextrous (semi auto) selector and not risk it? It's not like they are uncommon or expensive.

Rossko85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2014
    Brownsburg
    It still boggles the mind that a few little pieces of metal that have hardly any weight, can still have weight ya know? Wow...I like the diagram provided! Nice to know...

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The third position would be fire as well. It'd be Safe-Semi-Semi. You'd be in trouble if ATF could get your gun to fire in full-auto (even if that is by malfunctioning) and you had the part in there. Just dremel the middle hump and you'll be fine. I think it'd be cool to have a selector that went to the third position, even if that didn't do anything.

Top Bottom