• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    This begs the question... If I run across a NON-registered MG that has its SA counterpart in the civilian market, can I simply convert it to SA. I do understand once an MG always and MG, but I was always under the impression that was for registered MGs.

Its illegal as an MG, only because its unregistered...right? So removing either the Unregistered (by legal registration ) or removing the full auto aspect should make the firearm legal to own.

So I buy a box of parts at a garage sale. in it I find a Colt AR15 lower with a 3rd hole. I check the MG registry and the serial is not there. Can I weld the hole closed. install SA FCG parts and live my life?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    This begs the question... If I run across a NON-registered MG that has its SA counterpart in the civilian market, can I simply convert it to SA. I do understand once an MG always and MG, but I was always under the impression that was for registered MGs.

Its illegal as an MG, only because its unregistered...right? So removing either the Unregistered (by legal registration ) or removing the full auto aspect should make the firearm legal to own.

So I buy a box of parts at a garage sale. in it I find a Colt AR15 lower with a 3rd hole. I check the MG registry and the serial is not there. Can I weld the hole closed. install SA FCG parts and live my life?
    Can you? Yes. Will you have committed several federal felonies? Almost certainly. The big issue is where you will live that life.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse

the receiver is a machinegun, registered or not, the proper way to deal with them is to destroy the receiver, and replace OR destroy the receiver by cuttong and reweld it together WITH whatever required blocking bars or whatever the BATFE deems necessary

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    the receiver is a machinegun, registered or not, the proper way to deal with them is to destroy the receiver, and replace OR destroy the receiver by cuttong and reweld it together WITH whatever required blocking bars or whatever the BATFE deems necessary

.....until it isn't.
    The receiver is not always the machine gun. The "Machine Gun" is whatever ATF deemed it to be at the time they deemed it to be when they deemed it to be a Machine Gun.

VUPDblue with - " It is very dependent on the type of firearm in question." - answered the OP for now until we know what the weapon is. (and the circumstances would be nice) Still waiting for the OP.

They cutting instructions are also very dependent on the type of firearm. ATF has detailed cutting instructions for each type of gun. I have never heard of a cutting technique without taking at least a 1/4 inch of meat during each cut and it's usually 3 or more pieces required. (Class 3 manufacturers will probably have more leeway on this) Of course ATF can change any of this at any time which they have several times already. They have also changed their mind on which part they consider is the actual receiver on two firearms in the past that I can think of.

In fact they change their minds so often, you'd think they were all girls....

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    .....until it isn't.
    The receiver is not always the machine gun. The "Machine Gun" is whatever ATF deemed it to be at the time they deemed it to be when they deemed it to be a Machine Gun.

VUPDblue with - " It is very dependent on the type of firearm in question." - answered the OP for now until we know what the weapon is. (and the circumstances would be nice) Still waiting for the OP.

They cutting instructions are also very dependent on the type of firearm. ATF has detailed cutting instructions for each type of gun. I have never heard of a cutting technique without taking at least a 1/4 inch of meat during each cut and it's usually 3 or more pieces required. (Class 3 manufacturers will probably have more leeway on this) Of course ATF can change any of this at any time which they have several times already. They have also changed their mind on which part they consider is the actual receiver on two firearms in the past that I can think of.

In the example in question, (ar15) the receiver is the machine gun.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    In the example in question, (ar15) the receiver is the machine gun.

Ah!
    Sure enough. I took his post without completely reading what he was responding to.... directly.

I just really anxious to see what the OP found.... hypothetically of course. :rolleyes:

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    .....until it isn't.

AK were allowed to be demilled and imported with a single saw cut until very recently, droves of kits are still around and kicking, and the new “opinion” on AK kits pertains to importers.

ATF hasn’t stated that individuals HAVE to demill AKs by torch cut, and it is still held that the old individual guidelines hold for individuals, making saw cutting of receivers still G2G until somebody decides to write in and ask.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

1. Don't live your life in the Bureau of Prisons. I've visited two, not happy and not fun.

2. Who is checking the MG registry? Just how is this accomplished? Who the heck has access to tax records? Now we are going to prison for this?

3. A machine gun is a machine gun, no matter the welding done to it.

Top Bottom