• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    How does the 10mm compare to the .40 S&W?

In a Glock, the size difference is not huge, but it is significant.

However, the WEIGHT difference feels huge in hand. My G20 feels like a tank compared to what my G22 was.

For a tactical gun, that extra weight might make it a poor choice. I love my G20, but I wouldn't recommend it as a first gun or primary carry gun. I think a G23 or G19 is far superior for that role.

Still, you *can* carry a G20. You give a up a lot to get that capacity and potential firepower (good ammo).

ETA-- and a G20 is still lighter than most 1911s...

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I really like a nice single action trigger. I like a gun with good weight and balance. The 1911's I've fondled felt great in my hands, trigger felt great.

You have answered your own question. You shoot a hand gun... with your hands. You'll be a better shot with what feels right in them.

With a quality belt and holster, even a full size 1911 is easy to live with on a daily basis. I have other guns, I carry my 1911. (See above: the fit is just right for me)

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    It's funny you should mention that, cause I love 1911's more than just about everything. I love the genius behind the design. You know how some hot rods have a great stance? That's what the 1911 has. One of those things you just have to own. I love the heritage. I love the many many years of proven use. I love their feel. Pretty sure I'm gonna get a Glock.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's funny you should mention that, cause I love 1911's more than just about everything. I love the genius behind the design. You know how some hot rods have a great stance? That's what the 1911 has. One of those things you just have to own. I love the heritage. I love the many many years of proven use. I love their feel. Pretty sure I'm gonna get a Glock.

I carried my 1943 Remington 1911 all day today. No worries.

Old_grunt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Bloomington
    How does the 10mm compare to the .40 S&W?

10mm Auto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this doesn't get me into trouble with the admins. Basically, to answer your question, the .40S&W was derived from the more powerful 10mm Auto. I've fired Hornady 180g jhp and, after getting the equipment, loaded 500 rds of Remington GS 165g jhp, using Starline brass, CCI 350 Magnum primers to touch off 11.5g of BlueDot. Various sources indicate that the 10mm Auto is comparable to .41 Magnum, rather than .357 Magnum. Handloading is the way to go, since factory ammo is typically a 20 round box that sells for $20+. As I said, I find the feel of a M1911A1 & Browning Hi-power to be small and the Glock 20 feels right to me. It normally rides in an Old Faithful IWB hybrid, that is a very comfortable (and affordable) holster, for daily use.

Whitey1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    You said you could spend up to $1100 for a good 1911, for that money you could have a Glock and a starter 1911. See what you like, then sell the other and upgrade the one you keep.

migioto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    Brownsburg
    I would say that you should try out a 1911 before you buy one. I have one and I love it. My next pistol should be a glock 21. But I am familiar with both.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Hmm, this is perplexing. You love the weight, balance and feel of a 1911. You also prefer to be in single action i.e. cocked and locked. You like the Glocks but not the way they feel or the accuracy. Now if only there were a full sized handgun that had outstanding ergonomics, high reliability and awesome accuracy as well. Hmm, quite a puzzle for those who only look at the top two or three selling brands. I think maybe, before you buy anything, you should czech around. There is a gun that meets all of your requirements and the people who purchase them seem to only buy more. Seriously, czech around.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    CZs - best kept secret (at least in 'Merica) in handguns. Next to the 1911, the cz75 is the most widely copied design, and they sell a metric poopton of them worldwide.

There isn't a better 9mm made.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Can't tell for certain if this is a cz75b but likely it is. Prolific throughout most of the rest of the world, we've only been getting them for about 20 years. They've been popular lots of places.

2013-09-21T140846Z_01_AFR507_RTRIDSP_3_KENYA-ATTACK.jpg

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Hmm, this is perplexing. You love the weight, balance and feel of a 1911. You also prefer to be in single action i.e. cocked and locked. You like the Glocks but not the way they feel or the accuracy. Now if only there were a full sized handgun that had outstanding ergonomics, high reliability and awesome accuracy as well. Hmm, quite a puzzle for those who only look at the top two or three selling brands. I think maybe, before you buy anything, you should czech around. There is a gun that meets all of your requirements and the people who purchase them seem to only buy more. Seriously, czech around.

As long as were tossiing others in the mix why not look into A beretta 92? Or why not take your time and get what really fits you in the long run you will be happier

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    As long as were tossiing others in the mix why not look into A beretta 92? Or why not take your time and get what really fits you in the long run you will be happier

Because the OP said he liked a single action trigger of a 1911 and the higher capacity and simplicity of a Glock. The Beretta only has one of those 3. That's why not.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    And here I was thinkin I was bein witty. Turns out I'm just ignorant. :dunno:

My initial comment was probably snarkier than it needed to be. It was mostly directed at the rest of the crowd that only consider the top three and seem to think that everyone needs to own one of those. Based upon the description of what you would prefer to have I think the CZ family, and particularly the 75B, would be worth your time to investigate. Sometimes to get what you want you have to break away from the crowd.

Top Bottom