• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler_durden

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Westfield
    I had just finished a little range time at a local gun shop/indoor range and I was browsing the new guns when I see a younger guy (early 20's) looking as well. He sees my Glock 19 in a paddle holster and starts asking me about how to get your LTCH. Then he starts asking about my gun and the conversation goes as follows:

Kid- What is that?
    Me- It's a Glock 19. There is actually one right here. (Pointing to the 19 in the case.)
    Kid- Does it jam alot?
    Me- Haha no. It never jams. It's a very reliable pistol
    Kid- Oh, is it like a Taurus?
    Me- No it's a Glock

There was a little more at the end where he asked more about polymer pistols so I pointed out the XD's and M&P's saying how I have heard great things about them.

He then asked more about the license and that he heard you have to carry it concealed. I informed him his source was incorrect and that was about the end of the conversation.

I like answering questions about guns for people that may be new to them. I will say I was almost speechless when he asked about it jamming, I couldn't help but laugh.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Pretty good. I heard asked the other day "do you guys have any single shot, semi-auto Mossberg H&R 22s?"

Again, one has to contain themselves and politely correct ignorance. There are plenty of things in this world I'm ignorant on...and I hope someday when my ignorance needs corrected, I hope the person that assists me is tactful.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    Yep, patience is the best policy.....Sometimes we forget we were that person when we first started out in our love affair.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Guns are not easy to understand for "non-gun people" and some things are quite hard to understand even if you try.
    Like if you tell someone that you have a Glock chambered in 40 Smith & Wesson.They will know S&W as a gun maker and will get comfused because you also said the brand was "Glock".
    They might not even know that "40 Smith & Wesson" is a caliber and will ask you "so your Glock chambered in 40 Smith & Wesson is a 9mm right?".
    I mean you cant blame them, some things about guns are clear as mud ... even for us "gun guys".

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Very good point indeed. Remember that people might be asking questions because they are interested and want to learn. Unfortunately a smart allecked answer might be a turn off.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Kid- What is that?
    Me- It's a Glock 19. There is actually one right here. (Pointing to the 19 in the case.)
    Kid- Does it jam alot?
    Me- No it's a Glock

He then asked more about the license and that he heard you have to carry it concealed. I informed him his source was incorrect and that was about the end of the conversation.

Did you remember to tell him that Glocks have to be carried concealed on account of their looks, or the lack thereof? :):

Da Bing

Mark in GA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    I agree. We need to take the time to answer patiently with folks who are new to guns. In fact we need to turn as many people over to our side as we can. There are many people who are on the fence on the gun issue. We need to convince them that we as gunowners are logical, responsible, law-abiding citizens.

Mark in GA

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Kid- What is that?
    Kid- Does it jam alot?
    Me- No it's a Glock, it just Kaboom's on ya!

FTFY

By a Taurus owner who has 3 currently and 5 total and never had a jam.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Very good point indeed. Remember that people might be asking questions because they are interested and want to learn. Unfortunately a smart allecked answer might be a turn off.

^^^Very True:yesway:^^^ I try to answer most questions with respect, I have no problem at all if someone is just trying to learn.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When he asked about jamming, you should have said no, Glocks never jam, they are the one that blow up and put your eye out.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There is a lot of junk information in the world, not just about firearms, but about every subject. A opinion posting on an internet site from an unemployed 30 year old that eats cereal and watches cartoons in front of his mothers TV does not look much different than an opinion posting by someone who has been in the industry for years. I try to take the time and explain to the best of my ability. I also try to help people sort out opinions from facts. I always take consideration that the person asking may not be able to sort facts from opinions. The person may also be awkward at conversation, and make poorly worded statements in an effort to get to the actual question. Everyone needs to learn from a fair teacher.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Plus one OP for explaining it to him. Last thing we need is for some all-knowing arrogant dude being condescending and turning someone away from guns because"most gun owners are jerks"

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Are they revolvers?

Nope, don't like revolvers unless it's my BIL's Taurus Raging Bull 454 Casull.

Now my Taurus's

PT-940 first purchased 11 years ago and still going with over 4000 rounds through it.

PT-92AR nary a problem (traded it for my PT1911)

PT-1911 decided to sell it and get out of the 1911 market because I wanted a sa/da .45 and had over 500 rounds by me and plenty by the former owner with no problem.

PT-809 my current carry firearm, over 5000 rounds through it and plenty of INGO'rs have seen me fire it with no problems at HandK's training excercise.

PT-709 Slim, just under 300 fired with it and no problems, I need to carry this more after it gets over 500 rounds.

Opps, make that 6, I forgot about the PT-845 I bought in February, it's only got 150 rounds through it, but they was all jhp's and no problems either.

So that's 6 with no problems. But according to all the reported problems by clerks and others in the know, it should be physically impossible for me to own 6 Taurus firearms and never have a problem, because as we all know EVERY gun they make is a POS.

Top Bottom