• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Got a call from the old man. He bought a Colt Trooper .22 a long time ago, used like new, and never shot it.
    Went out to blast it, and no boom.
    Popped grips off and a little sliver of metal came out.
    So he was alarmed.

I go over and pop sidelplate.............everything looks great.
    Nothing chipped.

OK, maybe a burr from way back (it was tiny).

The old Mk3 has a transfer bar, or what they call a safety connector. It wasn't reaching the firing pin.
    Hmmmm.
    Only one place for it to go.......2 pins on trigger, the pawl goes above it.

No laptop with me, no other rig to compare. Told the old man that prev owner must have put in the wrong part..........it's too short.
    Got on web and did basic search, one pic............yup, a cocked .357........safety connector is about halfway over firing pin.

Hmmm, rimfire would have firing pin higher in frame.......well duh, there's the answer!
    Somebody put a centerfire part in a rimfire.

Numrichs shows the correct part in stock for $8.
    Proly why the gun is like new, prev owner proly lost the part, or it broke.........and put the wrong one in, making the gun inop.
    Dumped it at a gunshow 20 plus yrs ago.

I hate it when people dump guns they mess up, don't tell others about...........at gunshows or gunshops.
    Sometimes they are unsafe.

This one...........was just super duper safe LOL

Tiny sliver leads me to believe the orig part broke and that tiny bit was part of it.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Twice I have purchased guns super cheap because the previous owner took them apart and could not put them back together correctly. All of the correct parts were there, they just didn't work properly the way they had been reassembled. I bought them thinking I would have to find parts, but nope.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I like to pick up stuff that was reassembled incorrectly, not maintained properly, or was soaked with WD-40 all the time. Digital photos and the internet can be very useful in figuring out what is wrong or what should be. Glad you diagnosed it a got it running.

Top Bottom