• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Probably a very very slow leak from when I drained it last fall... There's lots of sediment inside that I hear knocking around so I try to drain it yearly. Guess it was so slow I didn't notice when I closed it back up. I've watched it for a couple minutes now and it hasn't actually dripped down yet. See what I mean though.... no skills with this sort of stuff.

Yeah, I know what you mean about that sediment. Down here, in limestone country, I've had so much limestone sediment build up in the bottom of mine, it reached the bottom element (electric water heater). That drain valve looks like the one on mine. If so, once you've got the water drained, you can take the top off that valve. Once you do that, you can clean the sediment that will be laying under the washer, where it closes off the flow. Also, I've seen those valve leaks stop after awhile--my theory is more sediment works its way down to the valve and blocks the remaining flow.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    My Uncle's willing to drive from Muncie to help me install it in the next few weeks. He has some friends at the plumbing supply shops that will let him buy, so he's going to see what he can get.

Lowes will charge $303 to install and haul away the old one, and it's $318 to to buy one that is similar to what I have now. That's a lot better than $1100 from calling a couple places.

Friend got his cousin to give me an $850 quote for a Bradford White installed. Is it worth the premium? I'm thinking not really.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yes. 6 year Whirlpool, similar to this one, is $318 at Lowes. I can't imagine installation being more than a couple hundred through them.

My Uncle's willing to drive from Muncie to help me install it in the next few weeks. He has some friends at the plumbing supply shops that will let him buy, so he's going to see what he can get.

Lowes will charge $303 to install and haul away the old one, and it's $318 to to buy one that is similar to what I have now. That's a lot better than $1100 from calling a couple places.

Friend got his cousin to give me an $850 quote for a Bradford White installed. Is it worth the premium? I'm thinking not really.

It might be. If it's one thing I've learned with having rentals and guns, buy right or buy twice. There are some things from the big box stores that I refuse to buy. Waters heaters and sump pumps are one of them. There's a reason it only costs X instead of Y. Installation is a different story in terms of value. But I have never had the maintenance costs with the better water heaters that have been necessary with the el cheapos.

One question though: how did the insulation on the furnace get wet? Is it touching the floor where the water was running a wick up?

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    One question though: how did the insulation on the furnace get wet? Is it touching the floor where the water was running a wick up?

Yes, there are places where the insulation is touching. I'll replace the insulation after I get the water heater replaced.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013

Yes, its a better water heater and you can actually get parts for these if you need them.

That's the big problem with the Big Box brands, it's not easy to get replacement parts for them.

It's not like the old days of a pilot and thermocouple. These new units are a whole different story.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The water heater is newer, manuf in week 48 2004. The lady I bought the house from replaced it just for good luck...

nNmvEGH.jpg

Around here, you're due for a new water heater. Do you have a water softener? A gas water heater, in my experience rarely lasts more than 8 or 9 years.

Top Bottom