• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Someone mentioned the height of the sight. My RMR stands .850" above the slide at its tallest point. The taller cowtiness sights are about .300" tall. It would be tough in my opinion to shrink the sight much more and still have a decent box to look through.

For comparison, my Trijicon HD sights are about .200" tall.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It would be tough in my opinion to shrink the sight much more and still have a decent box to look through.

How about a "lens-less" pistol RDS? Wouldn't it be cool if you could bolt a small plate onto the top of your slide and it would "suspend" a red orb that was your sighting dot?

I can dream, right? :D

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    How about a "lens-less" pistol RDS? Wouldn't it be cool if you could bolt a small plate onto the top of your slide and it would "suspend" a red orb that was your sighting dot?

I can dream, right? :D

A friend of mine who has long been a proponent of RDS on pistols says his ultimate concept would be an integrated RDS with a tubeless lens that folded into the slide for storage/holstering, but immediately deployed and turned on when the gun was drawn.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    "Engineered to accept six models... " so I assumed they were interchangeable. What Smith actually did was design six adapter plates. I'd have to see one to decide if I like that idea or not.

I found the adapter plate thing to be a little chintzy, as it puts the RDS up off the slide a little bit. Some models of RDS will allow co-witness with the iron sights, while others will not (which kinda defeats the purpose of having those bigass sights on there to begin with). Having the slide machined to take a specific sight allows for a much lower and cleaner installation.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yeah, I thought the core was the answer, but I wonder now. I really need to see one up close. Of course, I'm getting the itch to set up another one, and the core isn't available...

Ridgeway

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    I saw this on Shooting USA, it looks like Smith is going for the factory pistol class in various shoot competitions.

Glock will follow pretty quickly would be my guess.:rockwoot:

Yeah, right after they release the single stack 9mm & the carbine. :popcorn:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    That's a point I had not thought of. Thanks for pointing that out.

If you have a light on your gun with the laser, the BG will struggle to trace that laser back to its origin. In addition to allowing you to ID the target, the main advantage of a TL is that it disorients the BG and makes it hard to pinpoint your location.
    Also, a laser doesn't work so well in bright sunlight. RDS isn't affected.

It appears that the green lasers don't seem to have this problem nearly as much.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    A friend of mine who has long been a proponent of RDS on pistols says his ultimate concept would be an integrated RDS with a tubeless lens that folded into the slide for storage/holstering, but immediately deployed and turned on when the gun was drawn.

Like a pop up flash on a camera. That would be cool.
    It would be an upgrade to have it do the "psssssssst" sound as it went up.

I thought the ones that "time out" and turn off also have a motion sensor that turns it back on when picked up?

I had a brain storming episode after attending a pretty mind blowing seminar on 3D imaging technology a while back. I posted a thread about similar ideas you guys are mentioning regarding the future of red dot sights.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...39246-crazy_site_and_bullet_design_ideas.html

Top Bottom