• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I also had shooting glasses made. I had focal length set at finger tip distance. They work great.

BUT... the Sig 365 SAS fiber optic sight is visible enough for me to shot without any glasses. My astigmatism shows two circles but when aligned properly, also has two dots inside of those two circles.
    4e310ed0f0e3d624fb57fcea155d1478.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    For me it's Ameriglo Hackathorne's, until I have to go to a red dot.

Reading glasses give me a great focus on the front sight. Just can't figure how to find the time to put them on early in the gunfight?

Glock-Pistol-Mods-Part-II_Jeff-Gurwitch_DefenseReview.com-DR_C.jpg
    It must be horrible being the poors, your gunfights don’t come with appointments and reminder notifications?

resdep

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    I went to my local WalMart optometrist, took a blue gun with me and explained what I was after. We decided on a pair of single vision glasses to use for bulls eye shooting. It took 3 tries to get them correct but I love them. The price was right also.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I also had shooting glasses made. I had focal length set at finger tip distance. They work great.

BUT... the Sig 365 SAS fiber optic sight is visible enough for me to shot without any glasses. My astigmatism shows two circles but when aligned properly, also has two dots inside of those two circles.
    4e310ed0f0e3d624fb57fcea155d1478.jpg

Dang!
    Hop Be Shootin GANSTA...
    dUGgmDn.gif

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I had glasses made just for shooting, my optometrist let me bring two firearms in his office when I had my appointment.

I also sometimes use a Merit eye glasses diopter. Lyman qlso makes a cheaper one.

View attachment 82831

I too use the Merit Optical Attachment. Been using one since the mid 80's. Great way to have the target, front sight and rear sight all in focus.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I'fe been shoooting all my lif and I don't even weer glases. Never even had mu eyes checkedd.
    Yu guys are justr a bunch of old ferts. :p

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When I was wearing glasses, I found progressive lenses worked well. The rule to using progressives is to point your nose at what you want to see.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I'm hoping they would be for daily use. Just wonder how my brain will handle it if my left eye has the regular bifocal and my right eye is focused on the front sight making things at 30ft slightly out of focus.
    I tried this with contacts. I put one in my dominant eye that was set to see close so I could read texts better (and see my front sight). I tried it for a week or so. Couldn't get the hang of it.

Figured I would work thru the headaches, but trying to see out doing other things was too much of a pain. Sometimes I work on stuff up close and sometimes I work on stuff at distance.

Didn't want to get in the habit of needing special glasses that I might not have with me if I needed them emergency wise.

I know people who have done the mono vision and grown to like it. I can't say what they do on a regular basis where they would need both eyes the same tho.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I tried this with contacts. I put one in my dominant eye that was set to see close so I could read texts better (and see my front sight). I tried it for a week or so. Couldn't get the hang of it.

Figured I would work thru the headaches, but trying to see out doing other things was too much of a pain. Sometimes I work on stuff up close and sometimes I work on stuff at distance.

Didn't want to get in the habit of needing special glasses that I might not have with me if I needed them emergency wise.

I know people who have done the mono vision and grown to like it. I can't say what they do on a regular basis where they would need both eyes the same tho.
    My impression was to put the distance in the dominant eye? I know we're talking about seeing the front sight here but my impression was dominant for distance.
    I was worried I was going to have to try this and then found an eye doctor that was extremely confidant he could fix me up with bifocal contacts and he was right, it's fantastic. I also have progressive glassesaand wear them some too.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My impression was to put the distance in the dominant eye? I know we're talking about seeing the front sight here but my impression was dominant for distance.
    I was worried I was going to have to try this and then found an eye doctor that was extremely confidant he could fix me up with bifocal contacts and he was right, it's fantastic. I also have progressive glassesaand wear them some too.

I had lasik done in 2012. I could see distance perfect after that and up close went to hell. I was trying to see the front sight with my dominant eye. That was the test at least.

Now after all these years my distance is suffering as well. Doubt I can afford lens replacement so might have to go back to contacts or <gasp> glasses.

Getting old sucks

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Not that instagram would spy on me or anything, but an ad for sspeyewear dot com came up in my feed, they put a magnifier at the top of the lens on what looks to be safety/shooting glasses. You could also google "top focal tactical" probably.
    I know this isn't exactly what the OP is asking about, but related and thought it might help someone on here.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    As I age, I suffer from this issue. I've tried all type of corrective lens options. Some worked better than others but I went ahead and just fixed it for good.

With or without corrective lenses, high noon or midnight...I can see the dot.
    8f26d8da14c9856ea196bcfb17c624f5.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    ^^^^ This is where I will go if this one last attempt doesn't work for me!

I mentioned that I would follow up on my customer service issue with SSP Eyewear. I have to really sing their praises on how they treated me. The owner of the company called me and we worked everything out on the phone.

Not only did they send what I had ordered (about $42 worth of lens and a frame), but for my troubles, threw in two more pairs(1 set no correction, 1 set with top focal readers) of lens in a bronze color that supposedly helps with eye fatigue in the sun.

Then he threw in a pair of glasses with Polarized lens with bottom readers for fishing! In all, he sent me about $80 worth of stuff. I am going to try these for driving. Maybe now when I glance down at the dash, I will be able to read!

If these don't work for me, then nothing will and I will be moving to optics.:)

Top Bottom