• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The weather is starting to warm up and that can mean only one thing! FWAPS will be starting up our weekly Thursday night practice sessions on 4/18, the week before our first match. Like last year, these practice sessions will be competition based, but very informal. $5/week or a $50 for the whole season to help cover costs of pasters and targets. Practice starts at 5:30 and usually run until about 7pm. If weather is an issue, cancellation notices will be posted here on INGO. Let me know if you have any questions.

Address and club info: http://www.fwaps.org/info.html

See you out on the range!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

Have to be on kid duty , will have to miss practice this week. For the FW regulars, if you can come out Sat am, that is the range clean up day. If you have a couple hrs free, it would be good to see a solid turn out from the USPSA guys in appreciation for FWRR hosting our matches!

-rvb

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Just as a heads up to everyone, the weather is not looking good for Thursday night. Please keep an eye on this thread for updates on whether or not to head out.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Weather looks GREAT for practice this Thursday (4/25).
    5 Day Weather Forecast for 46845 - weather.com

Fort Wayne area INGO'ers, if you have interest in improving core practical pistol shooting skills and possibly competing, but don't know where to start, these Thursday night USPSA practices are great for checking the sport out. Very low cost, no pressure, no scores, and help/tips if you want it. We can answer questions about the required gear, give a feel for how the matches are run, get you familiar with the safety and scoring, etc.... so that if you want to try competition you can show up to your first match feeling like you've already "been there, done that."

All we ask is that you arrive w/ your gun unloaded or not on you; if you have a hot carry gun when you arrive, let one of the range officers know and we'll get you cleared according to the rules. USPSA rules call for a cold range; don't handle your firearm unless under the direction of a range officer. :)

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Fort Wayne area INGO'ers, if you have interest in improving core practical pistol shooting skills and possibly competing, but don't know where to start, these Thursday night USPSA practices are great for checking the sport out. Very low cost, no pressure, no scores, and help/tips if you want it. We can answer questions about the required gear, give a feel for how the matches are run, get you familiar with the safety and scoring, etc.... so that if you want to try competition you can show up to your first match feeling like you've already "been there, done that."

All we ask is that you arrive w/ your gun unloaded or not on you; if you have a hot carry gun when you arrive, let one of the range officers know and we'll get you cleared according to the rules. USPSA rules call for a cold range; don't handle your firearm unless under the direction of a range officer. :)

-rvb

thread bump.

Sorry for the late notice, but for folks in NE IN who may be interested, tonight is the practice night for the Ft Wayne USPSA club. Cost is just $5.

[STRIKE]Tonight's forcast is 50% chance of rain/storms.[/STRIKE] Rain looks like it will hold off until later in the evening. As of now, we are still planning on holding the practice.

-rvb

Last edited:

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I stopped by tonight and found everyone already set up for practice. I was five minutes late and didn't want to interfere. Is there structured preplanned activities or do we just show up. I'm just getting started back in shooting and don't know procedures at the range

BROBERTS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Warsaw IN.
    You should of went down and said Hi. They would be glad to get you in the right direction. They don't bite!! Well maybe Matt :D LOL

Maybe next week.

Brent

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You can trickle in or out as needed. As long as we are there, we can shoot.

Last night's dot drill was good. Always a good reality check with that stupid thing, haha.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    You should of went down and said Hi. They would be glad to get you in the right direction. They don't bite!! Well maybe Matt :D LOL

Maybe next week.

Brent

Don't worry, I got my rabies shot recently...

Can you repeat stages in the vein of "practice" or is it more of an "unofficial" match?

From time to time we do setup stages to practice. It all depends on how much help we have at the time people want to shoot them. It gets to be hard to set up a stage in 10 minutes with only 2 people :)

I stopped by tonight and found everyone already set up for practice. I was five minutes late and didn't want to interfere. Is there structured preplanned activities or do we just show up. I'm just getting started back in shooting and don't know procedures at the range

Definitely next time stop on down and say hi. We operate in a very informal manner. You can come and go as you desire. You can shoot as little or as much as you want. Also, if you have requests for drills/skills you want to practice, we can do that too. We are all pretty laid back :)

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Can you repeat stages in the vein of "practice" or is it more of an "unofficial" match?

It's far from an unofficial match, definitely practice.
    It's quite informal. We never know how many are going to be there. Sometimes is a couple people, sometimes it's ten. That affects what we end up doing, too.

Ususally we only have a field-course type stage the week after a match... we'll leave some walls/faultlines/etc standing. In those cases, we'll often run the stage different ways.... change the location of the start position, require shots from different positions, shoot it all SHO, whatever to add to the challenge to make the practice beneficial. Even then, some folks just prefer to run it the same way over and over and that's ok, too.

Many times we just set up targets and and a couple boxes and maybe some steel and make up a variety of "standards" around those target arrays.

Sometime, such as last night, we just set up a target per person and do basic drills. Last night was "dot torture," followed by some group shooting, and a couple of standards (eg El Prez, which we ran different ways, eg head-shots only).

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Ok,I just assumed if it was USPSA practice there would be stages. How does it work then? (usually)

The vast majority of skillsets needed can be practiced/improved w/o running a full course. In fact, the latter can be counter-productive to a good practice due to reset time, number of repititions you're able to do, etc.

It's much better to issolate a skillset, and turn each shooter through quickly. And even better yet to have everyone shooting at the same time to maximize the trigger time and minimize the standing around time.

But I'm the sadist/masochist of the group. "Let's shoot that again, WEAK HAND ONLY!" [groans]

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

show up any time. being a weeknight, there's a lot of flexibility there. You're only "late" if we're packed up and heading out.

There's very little "structure" to these practices other than the safety rules outlined on the first page. Just show up, flag down a Range Officer, and they'll get you up to speed with the basic safety rules, range commands, what drill we're shooting, etc

-rvb

Last edited:
    Top Bottom