• ...and so much more!
  • JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Last evening while looking for the bedroom TV remote (a daily task BTW) I noticed a single .45 cal hollow-point on the floor behind my dresser. That led me to check my Shield .45 EDC and sure enough there was nothing in the chamber. Couple of weeks ago I decided to clean and lube my carry guns. I always drop the mag and rack the slide for clearing in the bedroom. After cleaning took place out in the garage it appears I never racked one in the chamber before holstering the gun. So for the last 2 weeks I have not been prepared. I guess a press check each day is not a bad idea.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Maybe it's just me, but I always manually cycle a few rounds through the chamber after cleaning just to make sure everything is running properly. The last round cycled stays in there. Worst case scenario would be that a round scurries off somewhere and that mag ends up underloaded.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Last evening while looking for the bedroom TV remote (a daily task BTW) I noticed a single .45 cal hollow-point on the floor behind my dresser. That led me to check my Shield .45 EDC and sure enough there was nothing in the chamber. Couple of weeks ago I decided to clean and lube my carry guns. I always drop the mag and rack the slide for clearing in the bedroom. After cleaning took place out in the garage it appears I never racked one in the chamber before holstering the gun. So for the last 2 weeks I have not been prepared. I guess a press check each day is not a bad idea.
    Ouch that could have been deadly. Luckily no situation occurred that required it.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Maybe it's just me, but I always manually cycle a few rounds through the chamber after cleaning just to make sure everything is running properly. The last round cycled stays in there. Worst case scenario would be that a round scurries off somewhere and that mag ends up underloaded
    Good idea. I cycle the gun after cleaning but not with live ammo.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    G45 or G19 have mag dropped and reinserted, pushed out to "target" twice. Then press checked before holstering. Every day...

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I use an old style cleaning kit with trays for the various components. Once I have dropped the mag, I clear the gun and put that round in one of the trays in the kit. That way, when I am putting the cleaning items back in the kit, it serves as a reminder that I need to put one back in the chamber. Not high tech, but it works for me.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I had a similar experience as the OP. However, much different. My eldest son just finished AIT was given a few weeks before reporting so he decided to come home and visit dad.

About a week later we decided to go shooting. I brought my edc which at that time was a Beretta 92 stainless steel 15rd mags back then. We got to the range and I pull the clip of hollow points out then cycle the slide to remove the one in the chamber. There was none. My son pipes up saying he removed it because it was unsafe.
    He then got a chewing out. I also ran a few drills showing him what would happen if a person was running at me with a knife and I had no clue the chamber was empty.
    I gave him a stick told him to back off to 10 yards run at me as fast as he could and tap me with the stick. He did I timed it. Then I had him time me drawing gun and it dropping hammer on an empty chamber "click" then cycling a new round in chamber and then firing at target.
    He found out quickly that if the chamber is empty you are not going to get a shot off if a guy is at 30 feet with a knife running up and sticking you.
    I also told him to never mess with another person's firearms especially their edc without permission.
    Needless to say I was highly upset with him. He knew it and he learned from it.
    After that I started including a similar drill teaching the rest of my children and now grandchildren about it.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I had a similar experience as the OP. However, much different. My eldest son just finished AIT was given a few weeks before reporting so he decided to come home and visit dad.

About a week later we decided to go shooting. I brought my edc which at that time was a Beretta 92 stainless steel 15rd mags back then. We got to the range and I pull the clip of hollow points out then cycle the slide to remove the one in the chamber. There was none. My son pipes up saying he removed it because it was unsafe.
    He then got a chewing out. I also ran a few drills showing him what would happen if a person was running at me with a knife and I had no clue the chamber was empty.
    I gave him a stick told him to back off to 10 yards run at me as fast as he could and tap me with the stick. He did I timed it. Then I had him time me drawing gun and it dropping hammer on an empty chamber "click" then cycling a new round in chamber and then firing at target.
    He found out quickly that if the chamber is empty you are not going to get a shot off if a guy is at 30 feet with a knife running up and sticking you.
    I also told him to never mess with another person's firearms especially their edc without permission.
    Needless to say I was highly upset with him. He knew it and he learned from it.
    After that I started including a similar drill teaching the rest of my children and now grandchildren about it.
    We are both lucky we weren't killd n da streets!

Top Bottom