• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheltie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    N.E. Indiana
    Is anybody becoming bored with G-10? I think it serves it purpose well but I'm just ready for something new. Has anyone heard of any newer handle material coming out?

I guess I'm just looking for something less tactical and more classy or sharp looking.

Titanium is ok but I wish makers would do more than just make it a slab. Chris Reeve doing the inlays is a nice touch.:twocents:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    there are alot of more dressy options out there than g10. g10 is first and foremost DURABLE. not really made to be super attractive. masecraft has some really nice stuff when used on knives. but the more exotic and dressed upi you make something, the less durable it becomes.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I see manufactures changing the steel and geometry of knives but I think the next big thing will be handle material. :)

i don't know..... the knife industry didn't invent g10. i think it was NASA or a contractor there of. it was in use in the aerospace industry far before knives (floor of the space shuttle, ect)... i don't see any deficiences in g10 for knives, so i doubt a company will sink funds into a part of a product which won't SIGNIFIGANTLY improve the ability of the knife. the STEEL makes a big difference on different jobs, the handle treatment for g10 can be CHANGED to met different tasks. more grip, less grip.. a steel can't change properties to met each task... the g10 can....

might not be pretty, but there are other materials for that.. i have a friend who goes by "Sweet".... his name is ben. he is making some VERY cool looking materials that are resin based. very cool stuff.

Sheltie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    N.E. Indiana
    Maybe you could talk Sweet into showing off some of his skills.:)

I have a Joel Bolden knife he did with resin and blue jean material. The handle material has actually gotten more friendly as I use it.

IMG_1558.jpg

Hey Cubby here is a hint:;):spend:

D2 steel
    Sharp looking slabs (maybe from Sweet)
    Left hand sheath

Top Bottom