• ...and so much more!
  • Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    Here we go :runaway:

I am calling that the Glock 19 is by far the most versatile handgun of our day. You can't currently beat it overall in my opinion. Size, balance, simplicity, reliability, capacity, concealability, accuracy. Sure you will find different weapons that may be better in certain areas, but overall..the BEst!!

Alright here it comes let me have it. :rockwoot:

P.S. Picked up another one today in OD Green. LOVE IT!!!

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    :rockwoot:I have a 2nd gen GS prefix, trijicons, extended slide stop NY-1 trigger, frame smooth in some places from wear, thousands of rounds through, never for me a bobble, fail to feed, jam or anything, I carry it and a Baby Glock G-27 for CCW, and pull out the big boy G-22 if expecting trouble. Still if I could ONLY keep one, my guess is it too would be the G-19.:yesway::ingo:

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    I like my G19 so much that I went out and bought a G23 to go with it. All of the same advantages but with a little more oomph.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    If it works for you and you shoot it better than anything else then that's the gun you should have with you. That is not true for me. They don't point well for me nor do I shoot it all that well - personal preference. :dunno:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    "Best" implies a purpose and/or application. Best means nothing without context.

"Versatile" implies the ability fulfill multiple purposes and/or applications reasonably well. Versatile actually implies something is not the "best" at any one thing, but is generally good enough at many things.

Generally, those things that are the "best" at something are NOT very "versatile", because they're optimized for a particular application.

To be the most versatile handgun of our day, a pistol would have to cover the spectrum of what handguns are used for reasonably well.

Here are a couple of areas where the G19 falls short:
    The G19 makes a poor hunting pistol.
    The G19 makes a poor target pistol.

Target - The 9mm cartridge won't meet the power rating of those action sports that require one and it would get blown away at a bullseye event.

Hunting - Again, it's an accuracy thing and a power limitation of the 9 mm cartridge (in conjunction with a 4" bbl).

What would be more versatile?

Well, something chambered in .357 might be. It's a cartridge that can cover the spectrum from self-defense, to small game hunting (w/38 spl loads), on up to deer hunting. Married to a sufficiently accurate revolver w/a 6" bbl, I think it makes a far more "versatile" setup.

As much as I like the G19, and I do, I don't see how it can hold the title of "most versatile handgun of our day."

Folks like to post threads on this or that pistol being the best. It's fine to cheer for your favorite team. One can argue that the G19 makes a very good defensive piece. Some would say the "best." But it just isn't the most versatile handgun of our day.

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i bought the 26 with CC on my mind, but i kinda wish i had just gone with the 19. perhaps i'll keep an eye out for a used one (i dont want to give up my 26 :))

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The mid-size Glocks (19/23) represent the best blend of accuracy, power, capacity and concealability in the entire Glock lineup. At the shop, we sell more of the mid-size Glocks than we do the full-size and subcompacts in the same caliber, combined.

I have a couple G23s, and my wife has a 19. I sneak her gun out to shoot about as often as I can get away with it. ;)

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Glock Lover, didn't you just do this "glock is the best" stuff a while back? Did you just want to get specific with the G19? Glock offers no advantage over most quality manufacturers. Even with durability being their strong point there is just too much that outweighs it.

There are very few factory options. They have nasty triggers. They are fatter/chunkier then comparable pistols which actually hinders concealed carry. While grip angle is a matter of preference the human hand does not naturally cant as far forward as a glock grip. They have a poorly designed chamber though the G19 probably won't suffer the side effects. They will fire pretty far out of battery. They have no external safety. (You "thumb safeties will get you killed" guys can probably admit options are a good thing. Glock"s competitors have figured that out.)

All this compared to torturable, easy to field strip and parts availability. Oh, and a marketing department with skills nearing brain washing levels. Being devoted to any one brand (or model in this case) doesn't make it unquestionably "best."

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I had a G19 and ended up trading it in favor of my M&P 9c. I will admit, the G19 is a great weapon and I see why it is so popular. Personally for me, I didn't shoot it very well (I don't shoot any guns very well really but I shoot Glocks TERRIBLE).

The 9c is easier to carry and shoots better for me so it was a no brainer. I recently did pick up an XD9SC and I'm anxious to get it out and compare it to my 9c.

I'm glad your happy with your G19, it is a great firearm.

IUalum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I love mine and have such confidence in it I gave it to my wife, it is our "go-to" home defense weapon. I have complete confidence in it and she shoots it well.

Top Bottom