• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • artbymac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Hey guys,
    Seen a few threads started on this, but I didn't want to hijack anyone else's converstation with questions of my own.

So, I'm looking for some basic "upgrades" to my G19. I have just a couple "Rules of Thumbs" to follow here:
    1. I want to keep the Glock pretty stock. I bought the Glock for the legendary reliability, not to trick it out with every aftermarket part known to man.
    2. I don't want to spend an appreciable amount of money with respect to the original pistol cost. If I wanted 3k into a pistol I'd have bought a Wilson (not that I could even fathom that when I bought the G19, but...)

SO, that being said, here are my thoughts...
    Upgrade #1: Grip. I'd like something with a little palm swell, or something a little meatier than the factory polymer. I'm thinking Hogue Handall here as it is quite cheap with my Brownell's discount and if I don't like it, easy to swap out for somthing else. I've also considered Brooks Tactical A-Grip. Thoughts here?

Upgrade #2: Slide Release. Always been a pet peeve of mine on the Glock, I just can't seem to get solid Thumbs to release contact. I was thinking the Glock factory extended release here. Objections?

Upgrade #3: Mag Release. Like the slide release, but not as annoying, never could quite get the ergonomics of this down for a speedy drop and mag change. I like the simplicity of the TANGO DOWN extended mag release, plus it came highly recommended from a friend who is a Glock enthusiast. Survey says?

Thanks in advance for your input guys, looking foward to some minor tweaks to really finish my off my baby (it was my first pistol). Say it with me....awwwww.

-Thumbs

artbymac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Spencir,
    I considered night sights, and I still may go that route someday. Right now I have a switch activated CT mounted to the rail so I haven't paid much thought to the sights. Aside from a nice set of Mepros or Trijicons, I quite like the factory sights on the Glock. I might someday pony up for a Surefire X300, in which case I'll probably consider night sights.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    I would leave it exactly as you bought it. Do not modify the grip (grip reduction) as is devalues the gun. You will find it works great without any extras!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Ill only comment on what works for me. It may be different for you. The hogue grips could slip off so if have phylodog stipple the grip.

Don't screw with the "slide release" because if your using if for a slide release your doing it wrong based on my training. Get training.

Be very careful which mag release you choose. You do not want to drop a mag when you dont intend to.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Spencir,
    I considered night sights, and I still may go that route someday. Right now I have a switch activated CT mounted to the rail so I haven't paid much thought to the sights. Aside from a nice set of Mepros or Trijicons, I quite like the factory sights on the Glock. I might someday pony up for a Surefire X300, in which case I'll probably consider night sights.

Having night sights on a carry gun is much more important than having a laser and a weapon mounted light.

Here's what I would suggest for you.

Get night sights. And carry a good flashlight.
    Extended mag release.
    More magazines and ammo.

That is it. Your Glock 19 is perfection without anything else. 1911's and M&P's wish they could be more like the Glock 19, but they never will be.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Extra magazines, a good high-quality belt and a good high-quality holster. I'm not a huge fan of night sights even though I've had, and still have, several with them. I agree totally with those that say to not permanently modify the frame with a grip reduction or stippling; Talon Grips or skateboard tape work wonders for getting better grip and the Hogue aftermarket grips can give you the feeling you are looking for without altering the gun and possibly voiding any factory warranty.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I want to keep the Glock pretty stock.

Best idea.

Upgrade #1: Grip. - If you don't like it, get a Gen4.

Upgrade #2: Slide Release. It's not a slide release, it's a slide stop lever. One should train to rack the slide to release from slide lock, it is the natural action of the gun. Many trainers teach their students to ALWAYS rack the slide each and every time.

A problem with the extended slide stops is those who shot with a good thumbs forward grip can hit that by mistake and lock the slide back while shooting. It's happened to me before and the reason why the first change I make to any G34/35 that I get is to replace the extended with a regular flat one.

Upgrade #3: Mag Release. TANGO DOWN :yesway:

This one is my fav for Gen3 Glocks. The Glock extended is just too long while the Vicker Tango Down is just perfect.

Upgrade the sights to something more durable than the stocks sights, then spend the rest of your money on mags, ammo and training. We have plenty of great trainers right here in Indiana and plenty of others who come to our State and teach.

artbymac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    I should clarify a few things that I see cropping up...

This gun is not new to me, nor am I new to guns. I've shot it plenty and quite like it. Maybe I should have prefaced by saying I wasn't looking to be convinced if I should get those pieces or not, just looking for ideas or other brands others may have used as I'm in the shopping around process.

I have enough mags...for now. That collection is always growing.

This is not my carry gun. My carry gun does have night sights, couldn't agree more with the comments in this regard. The only reason I have a CT on the G19 is because it came with my Buck Mark in the box. I slapped it on the G19 to have some fun with it. Eventually I will get a set of Mepros or Trijicon night sights.

I'm not permanently altering the grip whatsoever, just want something to enhance the ergonomics a bit for me. I didn't think the Gen IV was much better for me ergonomically, nor can I justify the economics behind another $500-600 for a gun when I can spend $10-30 on some type of aftermarket grip. The grip for me is more about texture (I tend to slip on the polymer after a time at the range) and adding a bit of palm swell or girth, hence why I thought about throwing a few bucks at the Hogue. I've read the issues some have with slippage. I think I'm willing to roll the dice here as it's not my carry gun.

Finally, the slide release or slide stop lever, whichever terminology you prefer... I understand those of you with some degree of professional/tactical training will preach to me about proper functioning of the slide. I got it. Again, this is not my carry gun, nor is it a duty piece. Without starting a holy war of technique here, I'm just looking for something that will give me a bit more positive hook up when I'm handling the gun. Locking the slide to the rear, releasing it when I'm done, etc. I don't want to argue "proper gunfighting" actions here.

-Thumbs

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I should clarify a few things that I see cropping up...

This gun is not new to me, nor am I new to guns. I've shot it plenty and quite like it. Maybe I should have prefaced by saying I wasn't looking to be convinced if I should get those pieces or not, just looking for ideas or other brands others may have used as I'm in the shopping around process.

I have enough mags...for now. That collection is always growing.

This is not my carry gun. My carry gun does have night sights, couldn't agree more with the comments in this regard. The only reason I have a CT on the G19 is because it came with my Buck Mark in the box. I slapped it on the G19 to have some fun with it. Eventually I will get a set of Mepros or Trijicon night sights.

I'm not permanently altering the grip whatsoever, just want something to enhance the ergonomics a bit for me. I didn't think the Gen IV was much better for me ergonomically, nor can I justify the economics behind another $500-600 for a gun when I can spend $10-30 on some type of aftermarket grip. The grip for me is more about texture (I tend to slip on the polymer after a time at the range) and adding a bit of palm swell or girth, hence why I thought about throwing a few bucks at the Hogue. I've read the issues some have with slippage. I think I'm willing to roll the dice here as it's not my carry gun.

Finally, the slide release or slide stop lever, whichever terminology you prefer... I understand those of you with some degree of professional/tactical training will preach to me about proper functioning of the slide. I got it. Again, this is not my carry gun, nor is it a duty piece. Without starting a holy war of technique here, I'm just looking for something that will give me a bit more positive hook up when I'm handling the gun. Locking the slide to the rear, releasing it when I'm done, etc. I don't want to argue "proper gunfighting" actions here.

-Thumbs
    Sorry it wasn't my intent to beat you up on your technique, only answer the questions you asked based on my personal training. If you want to do it your own way and it works for you then More power to you. I could have flipped into a-hole mode on the slide issue but I truly tried to avoid that approach and still am, even though its an issue I believe could get someone killed. Even if a gun is not your carry piece I don't personally train different even with a safe gun. It could cause confusion when you are carrying for real.
    Beat of luck and I mean that.

artbymac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Trigger Time, Hickman,

Appreciate it anytime someone takes a minute to comment. Didn't mean to come off as dissmissive or defensive at all, so let's start over.

I don't have any formal training, just my own experience so I won't argue with those that have formal training on techniques or nomenclature.

Solid ergonomics and fit are one of my "foundations" if you will, and I'm simply trying to improve my G19 in that regard. I love it; had it for years, but it wasn't until I started handling some other pistols that I found I wanted to make the "fit" a bit better.

Agree about mags and nightsights. Those are coming someday.

My intent with the original post was to see if anyone had used those products, or something similar and could comment on them.

Thanks,
    Thumbs

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    ...I don't have any formal training, just my own experience so I won't argue with those that have formal training on techniques or nomenclature ...

Thumbs, there's the rub. You're new here. You don't need no stinking training because you've been shooting for years.

Maybe you are a regular Wild Bill Hickok with firearms and already have it nailed down, and you're a good egg. But I was the same way -- owned several guns, thought I was competent with them, and was pretty resistant to advice kindly offered by others. It wasn't until I sought out formal training that I discovered how little I knew about my weapons and how to safely and effectively employ and enjoy them.

Most folks here just want to help. You asked a couple of good questions and didn't offer any background. You did mention something that signals that perhaps you're not as well-informed as you think (the slide lock issue) and then get your knickers in a twist when a couple of people suggest that perhaps you need some training.

We guys think we should know it all. I see it at the range all the time. It rankles us to have someone even hint that maybe we're missing a few crayons in our box, and we get defensive. That's the way most guys are wired. No big deal. But if you get butt-hurt over helpful criticism that fellow INGOers offer you, it won't be long until you storm off, mad because someone had the temerity to question your training or expertise. And YOU will be the loser.

There's a lot of good info here, and a lot of good people willing to share their knowledge. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride a bit in order to learn a little.

Oh, and -- welcome to INGO! :D

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I tried the Hogue grip sleeve on the Glock years ago.

It felt fine, but I did not like how the tackiness/stickiness of the rubber would tend to grip clothing/cover garment, rather than letting the garment flow/slide over the grip.

Therefore, I ditched it in favor of better concealability.

Depending on your hands/length of thumb, an extended mag release might be useful. However, be watchful for any tendency of such a release to unintentionally release the magazine. If that happens, get rid of it.

I don't use the slide stop as a button to push on, in favor of design-independent techniques, so I see no value in a slide stop upgrade for myself. YMMV.

The only mods to any of my Glocks are steel night sights.

Top Bottom