• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    I own a compensated G23, and after the first clip, my port flashing is giving me a lot of fouling on my front sight. I can still see it clearly in daylight, and I don't plan on blinding myself by firing regularly at night with it, but I'm curious if there are any suggestions on changing my sights to something better suited.

I've considered night sights, but I'm not sure that they would make a huge difference. I also realize different ammunition is going to foul either more, or less as well. I'm fishing though, for any suggestions.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You might try a hi-vis type sight like a fiber optic. I reckon it would be pretty hard to completely foul one of those...though it would eventually happen

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    Does anyone have any pictures of Glocks so equipped? It would suck to go and buy the sights, pay to have them swapped, and then not even like them.

Earl Sinclair

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Several manufacturers make little red dot sights that mount in the rear sight dovetail, like this one:

JP Enterprises Red Dot Sights - JPoint 4 MOA Dot Sight FREE S&H JPoint4. JP Enterprises Red Dot Sights.

As with most things, pricing varies with quality in direct proportion.

Unfortunately, there is no front sight that will stay clean when mounted in the normal location on a compensated glock. Tried the fiber optics - not much better than stock, and the powder residue tends to melt into the plastic so it never comes completely clean. The only way to keep a conventional front sight clean is to move it behind the compensator port, but you'd lose so much sight radius I can't imagine you'd be happy with it.

Earl Sinclair

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I've had a 23c for about 10yrs now with Mepro sights on it. The fouling isn't too bad and the night sites still glow but just a bit dimmer when fouled. It used to be my duty gun that I carried every day but since changing departments 8yrs ago, it is just an off-duty pistol. I do love shooting it, I still shoot it the best. The night blindness is BS, you get the same flash as you would any other pistol, just in different direction. I've shot maybe 5-6k rounds through it and shot many night and combat courses with it. Great little gun.

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    Several manufacturers make little red dot sights that mount in the rear sight dovetail, like this one:

JP Enterprises Red Dot Sights - JPoint 4 MOA Dot Sight FREE S&H JPoint4. JP Enterprises Red Dot Sights.

As with most things, pricing varies with quality in direct proportion.

Unfortunately, there is no front sight that will stay clean when mounted in the normal location on a compensated glock. Tried the fiber optics - not much better than stock, and the powder residue tends to melt into the plastic so it never comes completely clean. The only way to keep a conventional front sight clean is to move it behind the compensator port, but you'd lose so much sight radius I can't imagine you'd be happy with it.

Earl Sinclair

:+1: Thanks for the advice! I'd probably have fried a set of them next weekend...not so good.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    You can try an uncomped aftermarket barrel... they only run around 100.

or you can try applying a bit of clear greast (slide glide comes to mind) to the front sight when you shoot it and that will keep it clean for carry situations as the grease will wipe right off w/ the fouling.

sianbrimons

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Elkhart
    You can try an uncomped aftermarket barrel... they only run around 100.

or you can try applying a bit of clear greast (slide glide comes to mind) to the front sight when you shoot it and that will keep it clean for carry situations as the grease will wipe right off w/ the fouling.

well being he's my older brother, (knowing him quite well) there's NO WAY he'll put an uncomped barrel on it, that's his favorite part :D, but that's a great idea about the grease, however i'm curious if the firing would burn the grease off within a certain amount of rounds, just a shame, he was really looking forward to putting night sights on it...

in the case he does decide to sell it, i declare 1st place in line (family first) :D:D

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    well being he's my older brother, (knowing him quite well) there's NO WAY he'll put an uncomped barrel on it, that's his favorite part :D, but that's a great idea about the grease, however i'm curious if the firing would burn the grease off within a certain amount of rounds, just a shame, he was really looking forward to putting night sights on it...

in the case he does decide to sell it, i declare 1st place in line (family first) :D:D

no, the grease doesnt reall burn off, the flame doesnt hit the sight directly, just the powder fouling... and it will work on night sights to.

Top Bottom