• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Great post, Denny.

Unfortunately, the rep merit board says, "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Denny347 again."

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Suicide by cop. It's possible the officer recognized this and wanted to stall. I have little issue with the retreat. My only critique is that the officer would likely been better off retreating back to the patrol car where it serves as a barrier and possibly access to more weapons. I get the "drawing the line" but make sure the line is genuinely needed where it was drawn. If I have traffic shut down and no pedestrians, way more leeway. 3rd parties too close, line will be closer. With mental health problems only growing worse, suicide by cop is only going to get worse and we are not going to shoot our way out of this. Our measured response demonstrates how much value we place on the life of the person in crisis.

If we must spend money, then I say public mental health should get first dibs.

It is shocking, maybe not to the coppers here, how much of "crime" is simply manifestation of the collapse of public mental health.

The shooting: textbook self-defense. Should be no issues.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

It is shocking, maybe not to the coppers here, how much of "crime" is simply manifestation of the collapse of public mental health.

Clayton Cramer (and anyone seriously involved in gun rights should know who he is) documented this in his book My Brother Ron: A Personal and Social History of the Deinstitutionalization of the Mentally Ill. It's $1.49 for the Kindle version on Amazon, and well worth reading.

His older brother suffered from schizophrenia all his adult life, and Clayton intersperses his personal experience with his brother with the systematic dismantling of the laws and facilities that were used to handle the dangerously and severely mentally ill in the 1970s.

RTWT.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I haven't watched the video since it originally came out but didn't the video from the non-shooter cop have a taser drawn on the guy? It looked like to me the perp. saw the taser and purposefully tried to avoid that cop and went for the one with the handgun instead. Body language appeared to indicate he was wanting to get shot/killed vs "shocked" and apprehended.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I haven't watched the video since it originally came out but didn't the video from the non-shooter cop have a taser drawn on the guy? It looked like to me the perp. saw the taser and purposefully tried to avoid that cop and went for the one with the handgun instead. Body language appeared to indicate he was wanting to get shot/killed vs "shocked" and apprehended.

Both officers shot and hit the suspect.
    The 1st officer called for "less lethal" just prior to the suspect's charge/his shots, but only ever held his pistol then re-holstered before the 2nd charge.
    The 2nd officer did re-holster and draw his taser (swap 1), then drew his pistol again (swap 2) after the 1st officers shots. 2nd officer re-holstered for the taser again (swap 3) after the suspect stood up and began taunting the officers to "do it". Swapped back to his pistol again (swap 4), after the suspect closed the distance to his partner for the final time.

It does seem as though the suspect did everything possible to increase his chances of being shot and killed.

Top Bottom