Gaining Steam? Nearly 100 Lawmakers Descend on Mount Vernon to Talk Convention o

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Hmmm. Not sure how I feel about that. IIRC, once they're "in" they can change any amendment. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Hmmm. Not sure how I feel about that. IIRC, once they're "in" they can change any amendment. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

So they can propose any amendment they want, but it still has to be ratified by 75% of state legislatures before it becomes an actual amendment.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I had the opportunity to meet Long several months ago. He exuded arrogance and certainly didn't earn my trust.

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    How would each respective state choose their two delegates and two alternative delegates? Is Mr. Long taking it upon himself as President Pro Tempore, and organizer of this gathering, to be our representative?

I do not disagree with the premise of gathering to discuss the planning for potential action. I do not trust Mr. David Long of Fort Wayne. At times, he has stalled bills much like Harry Reid and asserted his power over the Senate.

Indiana State Senator David Long Continues to Personally Block Attempts to Stop Obamacare | Tenth Amendment Center Blog

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    They are following the advice of conservative author and talk show host Mark Lavin. I believe the book is called "The Liberty Amendments". I would definitely consider this a Tea Party, grass roots sort of thing, and not something to fear. In fact, it is very positive news that they have dome SOMETHING to begin discussing reigning in our run away federal government!

The IRS, NSA, EPA, BATFE, DHS, TSA, the MASSIVE deficit spending, the redistribution of wealth through Obamacare and other programs...these are all things that are destroying our country from the inside. They are all tyrannical examples of the federal government ruling the people, whereas this country is meant to work the other way around. The government is supposed to exist FOR the people. Local governments are supposed to do what is best for their people, and so on it goes up to the state level. The feds are meant to provide an army and represent the common interests of the states, but they have become all powerful, and bloated beyond control!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    i dont see how this would be good, except to get rid of the career congresmen. Can you imagine a congress that has no need to please the public to get re-elected? Congress would be worse than it is already

From what I've seen in my near 50 years on this here rock, Congress uses our money to 'please' only certain voters to get re-elected and consider remianing in office their primary and most important duty.
    I'm still in the fence about term limits, but taking a fire hose and washing out the current vermin that presently infest out hallowed governmental halls (to include 'civil' servants) would be a damned good start.

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    I like term limits but also see the possible undesirable affects.

I'm thinking that a recall vote on every state and federal ballot might be better.
    Just a Yes or No that He/She needs to be recalled.

After all most who work are evaluated at least annually, why not elected officials?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    From what I've seen in my near 50 years on this here rock, Congress uses our money to 'please' only certain voters to get re-elected and consider remianing in office their primary and most important duty.
    I'm still in the fence about term limits, but taking a fire hose and washing out the current vermin that presently infest out hallowed governmental halls (to include 'civil' servants) would be a damned good start.

I don't favor term limits. I do favor recalls, and I would like to see a process for recalling every elected official, but done in a way that is resistant to abuses by butt-hurt ideologues, like what happened in Wisconsin. The disadvantages with term limits is that you get rid of good people as well as bad, not that we find a lot of good office-holders.

Also, with term limits, we still have to wait for the end of a term to get rid of the *******s. I would love to see Jo Jo the Union Ho recalled. But as it is we can't make him accountable for his actions for another 5 years.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I do NOT favor term limits (we have ways to get rid of bad elected officials already, called 'elections'). I fear what a representative/senator who no longer has to appease his constituents might do.

I DO favor a return to senators representing their states, not the people w/in their state (would like to see states work to retain more power)
    I DO favor an amendment that would require all laws apply equally to elected officials. They should get the same healthcare, the same investment trading regulations, etc as us 'commoners.'

-rvb

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Can't tell from reading the article just what they have up their sleeve. Not sure if this is a good thing or bad. I am so tried of elected officials finding new ways to cram unwanted laws down our throats. I hope this isn't just another one of those.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Can't tell from reading the article just what they have up their sleeve. Not sure if this is a good thing or bad. I am so tried of elected officials finding new ways to cram unwanted laws down our throats. I hope this isn't just another one of those.

There's nothing wrong with a healthy dose of skepticism when it comes to machinations of politicians.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Since whatever they come up with will require 3/4ths of the states to ratify, I think it is unlikely much will come of it. I hope, if nothing else, that it will scare the Congress into behaving more responsibly, but I doubt that as well. I guess we can dream of term limits and a balanced budget amendment (with spending restrictions of some sort) coming out of it. I believe I read that the states may even be able to limit the topics to be considered in the convention under the 10th Amendment.

flnt38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    I am with Ryan all laws passed should apply to everyone. they are supposed to be our elected representatives not some elite that are above the law. although it seems that they are the elite and above the laws they pass.

Top Bottom