• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You don't have to been a sys admin, know BASIC, or rocket science to root a phone. That's why I said read up on it, and see if it can unlock potential that you might want in your phone.

You can freeze/un-install bloatware that your carrier puts on the phone. Open up tethering for your other devices. Change your launcher/theme/icons. Speed up your phone. There are lot of reasons to root your phone and you don't have to install a custom rom. I run my S3 stock with apex instead of touchwiz. I just don't like a ton of extra **** on my phone that sprint put on it.

@OP if you want some more info on rooting and what it can do to your phone, shoot me a PM.
    Yes, rooting is usually fairly safe if one can follow instructions and knows how to navigate a command prompt and ADB. Yes one can do a lot with a rooted phone. But none of what you just named off is needed. Those are all things that a tinkerer would do. 90% of the population just wants to use their phone. Advocating that they root it because those things are available is silly. The OP already has a Droid X, if he wanted to root/unlock/customize, he would already know how. Since he didn't, I'm guessing that is not a priority for him.

I root/unlock all my phones but I don't touch my wife's, dad's, or brother's. They all know I could do it for them, but none of them have the need so I leave them be. None of them has said that they wished they could change their battery icon, replace their boot screens, or break the TOS and tether with their devices.

Last edited:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I will only root my phone because if there are issues I am going to be the one to fix them.
    And this is the right reason to do it. You want to do X and that requires root.

I see far too many people on the phone forums complaining or asking for help because they couldn't read directions right and messed up their device or they wanted some fancy new icon and splash screen because it looked cool but then it causes other issues with their device. Most of that is precipitated by the development of a "one click" rooting/unlocking package.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm hoping to get a Galaxy IIIs, but I'm waiting for the price to come down @ Verizon because of a company discount, and if I root, the main reason will to be removing bloatware. But I'll have to decided if I want to take the chance on voiding the warranty because when you root, it's a no-no with insurance.

Also, has anyone has any success with retaining the unlimited data plan moving from 3G to 4G, I've heard that they will not allow it, but I have yet to receive a notice from Verizon stating this.

GAM3INO

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Crown Point
    Got my S3 about 5 weeks ago. I've had an iPhone since the beginning of the iPhone, and I don't miss it one bit. I absolutely LOVE my Galaxy S3 on AT&T!!

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Also, has anyone has any success with retaining the unlimited data plan moving from 3G to 4G, I've heard that they will not allow it, but I have yet to receive a notice from Verizon stating this.
    Data is data. If you have unlimited now, you can keep it if you purchase a phone used or at retail price. If you get a subsidized phone (upgrade), you will be kicked to a tiered plan.

Top Bottom