• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    :ranton:I was in the market back around christmas time for a good air rifle, and settled on gamo whisper. simply spent the extra $100 for the gun with the noise supressor. well this weekend my buddy picked up a like new gamo hunter sport for $50 (sob):fawk: but anyway i decided to take mine to his house and see just how much quieter mine was over his. (Gamo says 52% quieter). come to find out my supressor some how made mine twice as loud. now im really mad at gamo, the two are identical, other than his has wood stock, and no supressor. they both shoot 1000 fps with lead ammo, and 1200 with alloy ammo. and mine was twice as loud with both types of ammo. can any body comfirm this? Has any one else compaired? :noway:

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I was on a similar path last year, and got fed up with the report of the hyper-velocity pellet rifles as well.

I came to the conclusion that an H&R/Stevens/Uberti single shot with CBs or Super Colibris is a superior weapon for low noise pinking or hunting. A CCi CB will go through a fox squirrel LENGTH wise, and is noticeably quieter than a 1,000+ FPS break action pellet rifle.

The sad part is, for the price of a Gamo you can buy two H&Rs, or a nice vintage Stevens falling block. :/

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    barrels are both spotless clean. his actually sounded like a pellet rifle, mine sounded like a .22lr. his just had a small crack with PBA alloy pellets when fired, and mine had sonic crack and echo of a .22lr.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I had been looking at the gamo with a silencer but read several reviews similar to yours so didn't. IIRC several owners said the rifle got a little quieter after prolonged use. I spoke to Gamo on the phone one day because I really wanted one and they said if you use a sound meter you will indeed see a reading of up to 52% quieter. It's all about perception, kinda like the tv commercials.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    OK I just shot my Gamo Shadow 1000 with wearing and ear plugs and all I could hear was the very loud twang of the spring. I know Springers require a heavy break in period. My shadow is not loud as a 22lr. Best of luck. Hopefully someone else with a Whisper will post.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Anyone with a whisper? Is yours as loud as mine? Starting to wonder if mine is just defective. Will not hold groups past 20 yrds either. Maybe I will call gamo.

DDay47

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Anyone with a whisper? Is yours as loud as mine? Starting to wonder if mine is just defective. Will not hold groups past 20 yrds either. Maybe I will call gamo.
    I have a whisper and it is very quiet with lead or PBA. I have the best accuracy with Crossman hollow points. I can easily shoot one inch groups at 25 yds.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    my whister is loud too, but the sound reduction is really only appreciated in front of the muzzle. i read somewhere that a test showed the sound reduction only at a distance. but definetly dont buy this if you are expecting significant sound reduction from a suppressor on say an AR15

Top Bottom