• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Stopped by the GM n the Fort today, just to price some ammo and to fondle some lever action rifles. Found a lever action Browning .22 with plastic woodgrain stock for $600. I just shook my head and put it back on the rack.

Saw an Uberti Cattleman in .357 with the 4.625 barrel in the used weapon display case. They wanted $499. I bought mine brand new on Gunbroker for $250 plus $25 S&H and $25FFL.

Saw another man purchasing a S&W Bodyguard. Did not hear the price, but I had to force myself to walk away. I wanted to warn the guy, but decided MYOB was the best course.

What would you have done?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    If asked or offered the opportunity in any way, I would have said something. But I would not have stuck my nose in. Im not sure what kind of person buys from Gander Mountain instead of a LGS. Maybe they just dont know the difference or maybe they have money to burn.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If asked or offered the opportunity in any way, I would have said something. But I would not have stuck my nose in. Im not sure what kind of person buys from Gander Mountain instead of a LGS. Maybe they just dont know the difference or maybe they have money to burn.

I confess I was guilty of this when I started buying guns a few years ago. I only bought a Mossberg .22 and a Model 500. In my defense, they were on sale for a decent price! :D However, in general I agree with your sentiment.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson

Wondering what a LGS is?:dunno:
    I wonder if someone should collect all these acronyms and post a sticky with their meanings.

Oh wait does it mean Local Gun Store maybe?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Wondering what a LGS is?:dunno:
    I wonder if someone should collect all these acronyms and post a sticky with their meanings.

Oh wait does it mean Local Gun Store maybe?

Yes Sir Local Gun Shop. We love our acronyms.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've never been in a Gander store, but I frequent the Bass Pro in Clarksville, and I have had to bite my tongue a few times while browsing near the gun counter. A few months ago, a guy was fondling a Remington 1911, and the sales guy was feeding him all kinds of crap about it. They were asking $90 more than what I had seen that same gun going for at a LGS the same day. I was walking towards the guy to tell him about the LGS, when he put the gun down on the counter and turned to walk away. The sales guy just stood there looking stupid.:): I would have had a hard time watching somebody get boned that bad, but the customer must have known what was up.

I did buy my Ruger Alaskan at Bass Pro a few years back. I had searched just about every gun shop within a 150 mile radius of here, and Bass Pro was the only place that had em. Surprisingly, they had them priced at or about the going rate for that gun at the time, and I got enough reward points to buy some ammo, so those types of stores can actually be helpful at times, but it's a crap shoot as to getting a helpful employee.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I've never been in a Gander store, but I frequent the Bass Pro in Clarksville, and I have had to bite my tongue a few times while browsing near the gun counter. A few months ago, a guy was fondling a Remington 1911, and the sales guy was feeding him all kinds of crap about it. They were asking $90 more than what I had seen that same gun going for at a LGS the same day. I was walking towards the guy to tell him about the LGS, when he put the gun down on the counter and turned to walk away. The sales guy just stood there looking stupid.:): I would have had a hard time watching somebody get boned that bad, but the customer must have known what was up.

I did buy my Ruger Alaskan at Bass Pro a few years back. I had searched just about every gun shop within a 150 mile radius of here, and Bass Pro was the only place that had em. Surprisingly, they had them priced at or about the going rate for that gun at the time, and I got enough reward points to buy some ammo, so those types of stores can actually be helpful at times, but it's a crap shoot as to getting a helpful employee.

Gander Mountain will have sales every so often and certain items will be at decent price. I have not been in a GM in a few years but from my experience even the sales only brought the price down to decent, I never saw an actual deal on firearms at GM.

Igotgills2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Fort Fun
    I bought a 10/22 at GM several years back new at a fair price. That was about the last deal I've seen there TBH. Not too long ago i was in GM buying some baits and while waiting in line to check out, i watched a guy walk in with several gun cases. He was promptly greeted and ushered to firearms by an "associate". I decided it was worth the trip back there to see what he had. Nice Ruger O/U and bolt from what i could see but had to be careful with all of the eyes on him. After about 15 minutes of "negotiation" based on the credible values in their book, i realized this guy was hard up for cash. His posture said it all... He was taking the deal and wasn't happy about it. I wanted to jump in and offer him more but that may have caused an issue. I understand companies need to make money, just wish owners were aware of their options when/if they needed to sell their firearms.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Every once in a while GM has a good sale on guns. Their prices are ridiculous once you "know better" I still go there to play with guns then have my local FFL purchase it for me!

DocSkunk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Kendallville
    I work up at the FW GM time from time. i know the prices are abit high. They used to be low as others said, but with the times and being corporate owned the prices go up so they can make more money, and open more stores. I dont like selling someone a $200 firearm for double the price, but i do what my job entails. But i have found some decent deals there time from time, sometimes in the used firearm section, but i know they rip some people off when buying guns. But take everything with a grain of salt. Just dont sell there and you will be fine, specially if Tyler is your helper known to give people a low price for a firearm to buy it cheap for himself. Eddy will ignore you unless you can pry him off the PC. Dave Manner his a superiority attitude but if its old he knows his stuff. Bob is a nice man, as well as Adam are the two you want helping you. Unless you see me i can help you, my AR and rifle knowledge isnt up to par but i am getting better lol, and im not afraid to tell you i dont know and will radio someone who knows. So dont let some prices keep you from Gander, i have been in some LGS and their prices have majority been higher, unless you know the owner and time from time cheaper firearms. just depends on the time, and weapon.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Only gun I have purchased at GM was my 10/22 TD a short while back at the GM on the south side. They have been hard to come by so I paid a little more than I had to because I wanted it and they had one. The guy I got was extremely knowledgeable and friendly, even took $20 off the price with out me even asking, which at least covered the tax. Good experience.

MeltonLaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Downtown Indy
    GM's prices are, for the most part, prohibitively high. Though if you watch the used counter for newly purchased, i.e. they stole the gun from whomever sold it to them, you can find a deal. Month or so ago found a like new Kahr PM9 with 3 magazines for $499.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    How Do They?

I just don't understand how Gander Mountain stays in business. In my area, their prices are usually a minimum of 10% to 30% higher than other places.
    I guess if you make such a big profit on each sale, you don't have to do much volume.

Top Bottom