• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i had not been there in ages and i wandered in on a lark Friday evening.... holy hell its changed.

most importantly, its firearms dept is no longer a corner with a couple hundred guns... starting from the entrance til halfway across the back wall, is FILLED with guns. the wall is stuffed with long arms and a glass case runs the same distance with handguns. i've never seen so many guns in a retail setting. it was very, very very impressive. anything you could have wanted, short of a Tavor (i asked.) even had a .50 cal of some sort and a scar .308. thousands of firearms. they mean business.

prices still high, as per usual but selection is unbeatable. i picked up an SR1911 commander for 800 (yeah price sucked)
    they have also gone to digital 4473 forms, which i'd not seen before and seemed to take as long as what we're all used to.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    I agree the transformation is incredible. I got tired of seeing a couple guns on their shelves!
    However, like you said, the prices have not changed!

And talking with a close friend, I was told that since it was their "Grand Re-Opening" they received a lot of the guns from other stores just to make it look good!
    I cant confirm that, however pay attention if any other GM's are going to be a Grand Re-Opening...
    I would like to see if their stock depletes really quick!

Overall...I like the new look of the GM in Fort Wayne!

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    I agree the transformation is incredible. I got tired of seeing a couple guns on their shelves!
    However, like you said, the prices have not changed!

And talking with a close friend, I was told that since it was their "Grand Re-Opening" they received a lot of the guns from other stores just to make it look good!
    I cant confirm that, however pay attention if any other GM's are going to be a Grand Re-Opening...
    I would like to see if their stock depletes really quick!

Overall...I like the new look of the GM in Fort Wayne!

as someone who used to travel to indy frequently i always found the GM in fort wayne very much disappointing. im unsure if other stores received the same treatment, but if not this could be the firearms crown jewel of gander. service was pretty good, they still have the take-a-number stuff but i grabbed someone and said i was buying and wasn't just coonfingering, that changed the game. between that and the selection it made up for the extra 50 or so i would have paid elsewhere.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    A lot of the Gander stores are getting remodeled. The new store in Avon is going to have a lot of guns too. The Terre Haute store is getting the big gun department this winter.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    very true, cant beat the selection, and if you are a new shooter or relatively new, that is the place to go to handle everything you can, see every different maker, caliber, etc. people will pay slightly higher prices if they feel they have been serviced well, if a guy takes the time to get out 10 different guns for you to coonfinger then people feel bad walking away and buying somewhere else. pretty good business model nowadays, where people are scared to bargain(carmax is a perfect example of the ridiculousness of self-esteem with people today). everything is negotiable if you ask me, i ask for discounts, extras on everything! always ask, you never know.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    Like everyone says, nice selection but pricey. Have a friend who bought a pistol a few months ago and it included a free cleaning and inspection within30 days of purchase. If you run into any problems after your first range visit, that could be a nice option.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Gander is ok. Alittle overpriced on everything, very overpriced on some things. But the new stores are great, for sure.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    They Got rid Of All Their Reloading Stuff Tho..Atleast I Couldn't Find It If They Still Had It. Other Than That It Is night And Day Difference In There!

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I can't argue with the selection. One thing I liked about their old setup was being able to handle and shoulder the long guns without having to wait in line and ask one of the employees.

mugable

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I went in this past Sunday and picked up some ammo.
    First time I had been in since the remodel.
    I really wanted to pick up a certain black polymer gun chambered in 9mm but couldn't justify paying the sticker price when I know I could get it cheaper elsewhere.
    Their selection has greatly improved though.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The one in Castleton is as you describe the one in FW, and their selection has been pretty stable since they remodeled. There's a little reloading stuff sneaking back in, but it's catch as catch can; wouldn't go there expecting to find anything particular.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    You do realize they price match within 60 miles right?

GanderMountain.com Policy
    We will match any competitor’s printed catalog or internet price within 14 days of your purchase! This offer applies to all in stock, regular priced merchandise. We do not price match online only retailers. This offer excludes firearms, ammunition, special orders, advertised specials or sale prices, misprints, and closeouts. We reserve the right to not sell any product below our cost. Just mention where you saw the lower price and your representative will match the price at the time of the order, or credit you for the difference on your previous purchase. For questions or details, call Customer Service at 1-888-542-6337.

This offer excludes firearms, ammunition, special orders, advertised specials or sale prices, misprints, and closeouts.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah i am a bit biased as many of you know but as far as pistols go they have cut WAY back from when they opened and good luck talking to someone. Not to mention the fact that their prices are INSANE.

Come out to ZX and check out our guns where prices arent insane and you can talk to someone without having to take a number.

Top Bottom