• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I was at the Gander Mountain in Greenwood near County Line road last week and overheard the salesman behind the counter providing what sounded like some possibly troublesome advice.

The representative was telling the person that, if they were not licensed to carry, that they would want to lock the ammunition in their trunk, and the gun in their glove box.

I'm licensed to carry and am familiar with the law - but I'm curious your thoughts/interpretation on this advice.

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    I would think that is correct without an permit... to keep the ammo and gun separated. Probably both separated in the trunk actually, such as driving through Illinois. No one needs the gun falling out of a glove box when going to get insurance and registration cards should they get pulled over.

Hopefully he said as well to just go get a permit. :)

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The issue to me was that the law states it needs to be in a case and not readily available. I don't know about your glove box, but I can't fit a cased weapon in mine and I don't think a glove box constitutes a 'case' (although it might?). I would fear such a determination would be up to the individual officer and, as such, would open the individual up to potential issues depending on who pulled the person over.

The glove box, also, in my opinion is readily accessible/available?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    As far as I know the ammo and firearm must not be in the same reachable area? Don't quote me I am known to be wrong.
    The law specifically says "unloaded, not readily accessible, and secured in a case." Having both the firearm and ammunition in the trunk would be fine, as I understand it, so long as the gun was unloaded and in a case. As far as whether that case can contain the ammunition or not isn't specified - nor is it specified that the ammunition must be separate beyond that it must not be loaded into the firearm.

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    Oh right... I wouldn't be comfortable with even an unloaded gun in the glove box without a permit. I'd treat it like as I said, driving through Illinois. (Which is a big gripe of mine.)

Tdcompton

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    When I was looking at shotguns I called a local GM and asked which camo pattern the gun they had in stock was dipped in... The reply.. "It's green, brown, and tan..."

I hung up on that idiot... I still don't know if he truly had no idea what he was talking about or if he thought that I was just another dumb female, but needless to say I took my money elsewhere less than an hour after that call.

Nmathew24

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    When I was looking at shotguns I called a local GM and asked which camo pattern the gun they had in stock was dipped in... The reply.. "It's green, brown, and tan..."

I hung up on that idiot... I still don't know if he truly had no idea what he was talking about or if he thought that I was just another dumb female, but needless to say I took my money elsewhere less than an hour after that call.

Although there are some nice guys who work in places such as GM, they don't know much. I had a huge issue with Dicks a few months back... now I refuse to even go look at their firearms.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I was just in GM to pick up a coat (they surprisingly had them on-sale during the snowstorm) and happened to be checking out what they had in the firearms cases out of sheer curiosity. Was hoping to get lucky and find a Shield or XDs or something :).

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    One of 10,000,000 reason i refuse to do business with the local gander. EVERY time i go in i see another reason to steer clear.

As if the prices werent reason enough, i have seen "associates" fan customers with pistols, give wrong advice etc etc.

Good place to let go under due lack of business IMHO!

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I was in one of the biggest selling gun shops around indy a few weeks ago and i guy was looking at a 357. He was telling the guy behind the counter thay he was wanting to deer hunt with it. The counter guy said oh you cant deer hunt with a pistol.. I had to jump in that conversation. A few minutes later another guy was asking a different counter guy about hunting coyotes with an AR15. The counter fellow said oh most people get in trouble because you cant have more than 5 rounds in a clip when coyote hunting. I could be wrong but ive never heard that or seen it in a indiana hunting guide. The only thing ive seen is for waterfowl on bullet limit. He was also telling the customer some incorrect information about AR15's but i kept my mouth shut. I dont hate place for it because not everyone that works in a gun shop is a gun/hunting nut. Bad part is it mis informs people/customers who dont know any better.

coyoteslayer22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Yea I think a lot of people thay work in places like gander and dicks are just workers. They have no idea about guns or laws just that this one goes bang louder than that one and this one shoots farther..I have had a few bad visits to gander mountain on county line road in greenwood too.I now have a few select people behind the counter that I like go deal with. I have had to many times of being ignored since I'm only 22 they will walk right past me after standing there for 15 minutes to help the older gentlmen next to me

Nmathew24

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yea I think a lot of people thay work in places like gander and dicks are just workers. They have no idea about guns or laws just that this one goes bang louder than that one and this one shoots farther..I have had a few bad visits to gander mountain on county line road in greenwood too.I now have a few select people behind the counter that I like go deal with. I have had to many times of being ignored since I'm only 22 they will walk right past me after standing there for 15 minutes to help the older gentlmen next to me

Ah see my friend you need to make you self appear older then you are, and you will not be passed up...as much. I had the same issue.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Ah see my friend you need to make you self appear older then you are, and you will not be passed up...as much. I had the same issue.
    Speaking loudly (read: not yelling) and authoritatively about needing assistance tends to help as well. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I know I've stood at a counter before needing assistance and been ignored, I called the corporate number and explained to them that I had been standing at a counter in one of their locations for assistance for XX minutes and have been repeatedly ignored... Not only did I get assisted, but you can't fix a problem if you don't know it exists.

Beyond that - what bothers me the most is when people give advice and they obviously have no idea what they're talking about, and they're telling somebody that doesn't know any better to recognize this. If you're going to give advice, especially about something that could end up with you in jail, you should probably have a good idea of what you're talking about imho.

After I showed the actual law to the person, the man at the counter continued to insist that I was wrong and that there are "good cops and bad cops, and it depends on whether the cop that pulls you over is having a bad day or not and that the customer should listen to him because he's been there, done that." I chuckled and walked away at that point and wished the guy I was talking to the best of luck.

coyoteslayer22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Yea I do agree with you about speaking loudly about needing help. I just sometimes feel that why should I have to ask all the time when they get paid to ask you. I dont think I should be waited on hand and foot by any means but that is thier job to ask you.. I'm glad you atleast tried to give that person the right information thats all you can do. Some people just cant admit when they are wrong. I have too however heard that the gun and ammo need to be separated and out of reach but I would have to side with you that in a case and in the trunk would work especially since you have the law to back you up.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Kind of like walking into an AutoZone asking for muffler bearings.
    More like going to AutoZone to get a steering wheel, and the guy behind the counter telling you that you absolutely must drain your power steering system and disconnect your power steering rack to install your new wheel...

It's advice that's on-topic, but absolutely terrible.

Top Bottom