• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    My buddy and I went to Gander Mtn. yesterday, to pick up his walther p-22. Lucky ass got a rain check on an in stock only deal, 249, from like a month ago. Anyway, back to my story.

In the firearms section, I was looking at the 10% off, but still overpriced deals they had on the tables (OCing as always), when I hear:

Employee 1: (firm voice) Sir, are you a police officer?
    Me: Uh, no. (?)
    Employee 2: You're going to have to conceal that or check it in immediately.
    Me: Why, it is my personal defense sidearm.
    E 2: Do you have a CCW? It's state law.
    Me: Excuse me, I have a Licence to Carry handgun, not a CCW.
    E 2: You have to conceal a handgun if you're going to carry.
    Me: I believe you are incorrect sir, IN laws do not adress how to carry a handgun, my licence doesn't even say concealed.
    E2: I'm telling you, you have to go check it in to make sure it is unloaded and locked in the store.
    Me: I'm not pulling it out of my holster, Is no OC store policy or something?
    E 2: No, it's state law.
    E 1: Sir please go check in your firearm, now.

I told my friend to give me his keys I was going to the car, I spoke to the store manager (or manager on duty) on my way out, and he "confirmed" it was state law and store policy. I notified him I and everyone I know will no longer be shopping at gander because of this, and also notified him IN law does not address how to carry. Thank you, good-bye.

When my friend got to the car, he was telling me Employee 1, the grumpier of the two I guess, said "These damn kids get a carry permit, and think they can do whatever the hell they want.." WOW THAT'S RUDE. Talking behind a customers back. Took everything I had to NOT go back in (unarmed) and tell both guys, hey F*&K you donkey-hole!

Note for wardrobe people, I was wearing blue jeans with a blue long sleeve shirt, tucked in, and the gun was not a second thought to my apparel. I was matching, I SWEAR! lol.

I was also disarmed (asked to put it in my car) on friday at an IN bowling alley by security, who says hes a ILLINOIS cop, and carry at "certain places" is prohibited. Didn't know a bowling alley was one of those places, but according to this guy they are. :laugh: I don't want to go into that story, in which I WAS CC..... kinda, I must have been printing.

I will be getting ahold of corporate me thinks, to see what the REAL corp. policy is. And I've found the next "meeting point" for NWI's next OC event.

Speaking of....... who's ready?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Yup, people don't know the laws, then get pissy when you correct them. like the "Sir, it's illegal to carry a gun in a restuarant that serves alcohol" at Cheeseburger in Paradise :rolleyes:

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    A buddy of mine bought his first handgun over the summer, so I said he should get a copy of the Indiana Handgun Law book. He went to the Gander Mountian on the south side of Indy to try to find one and was told that no such book existed.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You won't find the book at Gander Mountain. In fact, the only places I've ever seen it for sale is on Bryan Ciyou's website and at the 1500. Some local libraries have it as well.

I suspect that they thought he was referring to some sort of pamphlet published by the state rather than a book written by a private individual.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    The Gander Mtn. on the south side has a sign at the front door that says something like, "All firearms must be checked at customer service to ensure they are unloaded. This does not apply to customers with a valid LTCH."

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I think I would have waited for the inevitable call to the police and let the officer educate the store about the handgun law. If they wanted to give me a trespass warning, I would be fine with that, as I would never be shopping within that store again.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think I would have waited for the inevitable call to the police and let the officer educate the store about the handgun law. If they wanted to give me a trespass warning, I would be fine with that, as I would never be shopping within that store again.

I'm not sure I would have trusted the officer to know the law either.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    True, but with an unlawful arrest, the officer opens himself and the department to civil action (or settlement).

Best bet, if the officer doesn't know the law either, politely inform him that he should contact his supervisor for clarification before arrest.

mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    I will be getting ahold of corporate me thinks, to see what the REAL corp. policy is.

Let me know how that goes. Why not send corporate and the local store a copy of the Indiana code (copied from the state website) and ask them to underline or highlight the section that requires you to carry concealed.

Sir, it's illegal to carry a gun in a restuarant that serves alcohol" at Cheeseburger in Paradise

Nate, how about send the same info to Cheeseburger in Paradise and ask them to show you were carrying in a bar is prohibited?

I'm not a fan of OC and never will be but I do abhor the ignorance of people quoting non existent laws and ordinances. I've seen dozens of posts like this on various forums and with one exception (the Subway story originally posted on GlockTalk a long time ago) I've never seen any feedback on followups to these unfortunate events. Correcting them verbally without any data to support your statement becomes a he said, she said sort of thing. Maybe we should all carry around a copy of the pertinent sub chapters to show people.

While I don't believe we will ever change these people's attitudes towards handguns we may be able to stem some the crap coming out of their uniformed mouths and it's a cinch if you don't do anything other than discuss it on a forum they are likely never to read they will just continue to pass on false information.

Looking forward to see what kind of response you get.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Oh, I went to corporate. This happened probably 9-10 months ago. Took me a while to get a call back, but eventually got the owner of the midwest region's stores. After a long winded explaination, and the "look, we're gun owners too" excuse (which is THE most annoying response, EVER) I got a "corporate doesn't have a policy, so we can do what we want. It's unsafe to have a gun."

Me, nor anyone in my family, nor anyone I consider a close friend, has gone since, and I let people know how anti they are every chance I get.

Let me know how that goes. Why not send corporate and the local store a copy of the Indiana code (copied from the state website) and ask them to underline or highlight the section that requires you to carry concealed.

Nate, how about send the same info to Cheeseburger in Paradise and ask them to show you were carrying in a bar is prohibited?

I'm not a fan of OC and never will be but I do abhor the ignorance of people quoting non existent laws and ordinances. I've seen dozens of posts like this on various forums and with one exception (the Subway story originally posted on GlockTalk a long time ago) I've never seen any feedback on followups to these unfortunate events. Correcting them verbally without any data to support your statement becomes a he said, she said sort of thing. Maybe we should all carry around a copy of the pertinent sub chapters to show people.

While I don't believe we will ever change these people's attitudes towards handguns we may be able to stem some the crap coming out of their uniformed mouths and it's a cinch if you don't do anything other than discuss it on a forum they are likely never to read they will just continue to pass on false information.

Looking forward to see what kind of response you get.

mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Well, I can imagine how disappointing that response was. I really didn't expect any kind of positive response but at least once in a while it would be nice to hear them admit they were wrong even if they said we're still not going to change our policy.

There is a difference between being a gun owner and being a gun carrier. Just owning a gun doesn't mean you have gone to the trouble of applying for a LTCH or doing the research and understanding the laws or even having the desire to carry a gun.

Don't worry I haven't visited a Gander Mountain for years. Never show anything I couldn't get somplace for cheaper or at least more convenient.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Correcting them verbally without any data to support your statement becomes a he said, she said sort of thing. Maybe we should all carry around a copy of the pertinent sub chapters to show people.

As annoying as it sounds always carrying around "backup documentation", I think OCers should really consider it. As I've heard that many people's goals in OC is one of education, this would be a great idea.

Obviously no one needs to get a bad attitude, and the idea here is not "HAH! I HAVE PROOF AND YOU DON'T-- NAH NAH!" But using the above example as a guideline:

Employee 1: (firm voice) Sir, are you a police officer?
    Me: Uh, no. (?)
    Employee 2: You're going to have to conceal that or check it in immediately.
    Me: Why, it is my personal defense sidearm.
    E 2: Do you have a CCW? It's state law.
    Me: Excuse me, I have a Licence to Carry handgun, not a CCW.
    E 2: You have to conceal a handgun if you're going to carry.
    Me: I believe you are incorrect sir, IN laws do not adress how to carry a handgun, my licence doesn't even say concealed.
    E2: I'm telling you, you have to go check it in to make sure it is unloaded and locked in the store.
    Me: Listen, I understand if its your store policy, and I will certainly comply with that. However, if you take a look here, I have the Indiana IC code that shows there is no "CCW ONLY" provision. I'm perfectly within the law. Now, if you're telling me this is store policy, I'll have to make a phone call to your corporate offices to confirm it. You really do owe it to yourselves to do your homework on this, as you are turning away good business for no reason. I'm part of a 2,700 Hoosier-member organization that will hear this story and will now think twice about patronizing your stores because of this.
    E 2: I always thought it was illegal. At any rate, we don't want you to have it here, so please remove it.

Just a thought.

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    As annoying as it sounds always carrying around "backup documentation", I think OCers should really consider it. As I've heard that many people's goals in OC is one of education, this would be a great idea.

Esrice, that was what I was thinking after I read that first post. Maybe there can be a "sticky" that contains a link that all of us can print off the IC? :D

Last edited:
    Top Bottom