• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I was just in the Castleton Gander Mountain, and, as usual, I walked out shaking my head at their gun prices. I did find an acceptable deal on ammo (350 rounds of Blazer Brass 9mm for $89.99). But some of their prices were just amazing. A Kahr CM9 for $599? Seriously? I can get the same gun from Indy Gun Safety for $391.59 through their distributor (Davidson's).

It was all I could do to keep myself from approaching the customers who were looking at handguns at the counter to wave them off and tell them to save, in some cases, $200 or more on a pistol.

It doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't a huge national operation like Gander Mountain have enough of a volume discount that their prices would be BETTER than a real LGS rather than worse?

I'd rather buy from a LGS anyway, and I guess it's a good thing that GM's prices are so bad, because it makes GM less likely to drive the small shops out of business. But how is this possible?

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    They charge that much because they can and there are enough people out there dumb enough to keep them in business. When they sell there own brands on sale it is usually a fair price for a decent product. Example, I like to buy a Guide Series Rod/Reel Combo there every other year or so. Recently I actually found a Zero Degree Mummy bag clearanced out for $40. That is a good price on a zero bag. Much like you I mostly walk out shaking my head. I don't even go near the guns and ammo anymore, however if I have a gift card I will buy targets there. Really, you like blazer ammo for the same price you can get remington off sale other places in $50 packs? Maybe you know something about blazer I don't and if so let me know man. Thanks

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I was just in the Castleton Gander Mountain, and, as usual, I walked out shaking my head at their gun prices. I did find an acceptable deal on ammo (350 rounds of Blazer Brass 9mm for $89.99). But some of their prices were just amazing. A Kahr CM9 for $599? Seriously? I can get the same gun from Indy Gun Safety for $391.59 through their distributor (Davidson's).

It was all I could do to keep myself from approaching the customers who were looking at handguns at the counter to wave them off and tell them to save, in some cases, $200 or more on a pistol.

It doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't a huge national operation like Gander Mountain have enough of a volume discount that their prices would be BETTER than a real LGS rather than worse?

I'd rather buy from a LGS anyway, and I guess it's a good thing that GM's prices are so bad, because it makes GM less likely to drive the small shops out of business. But how is this possible?

Indy Gun Safety currently has the position of Gander Mountain Greeter available. The greeter's job will be to stand at the Gander Mountain counter and inform them they could save big by shopping at Indy Gun Safety. Position is purely commission based. :D (God I hope my purple is working!)

PS=We have the CM9 in stock!

Seriously though, there are many strategies in any market. If I had a big fancy store with zillions of guns to look at, you can bet my prices would be set to cover costs and profit. Price is not everything to some consumers. Value is important. Some consumers see the value in shopping in a nice, easy to find store with a great selection. Gander's business plan calls for a "value added" strategy. Our business plan for the gun shop as a new entrant to the market was to be a "low cost leader". Both plans are quite valid and will appeal to different audiences seeking the same products. While I would love to pile on to bashing my competitor, to say that Gander is preying on uneducated consumers is kind of a stretch. Their business plan is similar to many retail stores, as is ours. You may not see the value in these services, so you may tend to be my customer. Others will flock to Gander
    [STRIKE]like dummies and pay way too much[/STRIKE] for their stuff. :D

We have a niche market and cater to it, but the customer can really get almost anything from our web site. Thanks for the mention!

Last edited:

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Gander Mountain has purchasing agents that buy supply; whether that be a firearm, ammo, or a kazoo, that's their job. That being said, they are purchasing some items (i.e. firearms) at the same cost as most dealers are selling them for. I'm not saying that Gander doesn't mark their stuff up, they do. It's a convenience factor. People don't have to mess with researching, they can walk right in and there's a thousand guns to choose from. Someone has to cover the cost of the inventory...I doubt they are going to sell out every firearm, every day. Not to mention how many people actually know about Gander. It's advertising...that costs quite a bit of money. From TV, to paper, to radio...we've all seen/heard it. Further, you probably know that catchy guitar intro they use. By bashing them on an internet forum gives them more publicity, and as one once said, "there is no such thing as bad publicity..."

What cracks me up is that people are constantly griping over Gander's prices, but these are the same people that continue to go in there. It's almost like there's a temporary amnesia that happens until one sees the price tags. Let's face the facts folks:

Gander is over priced.

I don't see that changing. But, if you want to make a difference, instead of griping on an internet forum, take your concerns to the head of the festering sore and see how far that gets. The better bet is to JUST NOT SHOP THERE. Nobody walks into St. Elmo's and says, "Hey, you know...you can buy that same shrimp cocktail at Kroger for 5 bucks..."

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Only one factor determines market price what the market will bear. As long as their are plenty of people out there who want to buy from a big retailer and don't want to do their research or have to be bothered with shopping around places like Gander will have an occasional special price on something that is competitive but most of their stuff will be overpriced.
    Also Gander having a lot of overhead as compared to POP guns or Bradis has to make more gross per item to come out in the end and Guns are one of the things they use to bring people in to buy a pair of socks or a shirt.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I hate to do it but Gander At Greenwood has M&P 40's for 499.99 which is $50 less than people are asking for used one on this forum and they had a sale flyer on a Remington 1100 shotgun that was within $50 of what people are asking for in the For sales.,

Ammo yes but don't throw a blanket on the whole place

Reaper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Fishers, IN
    I went there when researching a firearm last year and asked the guy behind the counter to assist me. when I told him I visited some local shops but wanted to compare their cost, he said "DON'T BOTHER! We can't compare." Even their staff know that if you looked anywhere else, the price is way better. At least on firearms!

Now, that said, I am still stuck making other purchases there becuase no other store in reasonable distance carries as much variety of camo and other accessories. I wish there was a local hunting/outfitter shop that stocked a large quantity of gear. There are plenty of local firearms dealers, but where do you get gear?

Chesh97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    NE Indiana
    I think the internet has really damaged me for "shopping local". And i'm not just talking about guns. Anything.. I can't even bring myself to buy stuff from Best Buy, because I know I can get stuff online from buy.com or amazon cheaper...

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    91   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    I think the internet has really damaged me for "shopping local". And i'm not just talking about guns. Anything.. I can't even bring myself to buy stuff from Best Buy, because I know I can get stuff online from buy.com or amazon cheaper...

Sad, but true for me as well. Holsters are a great example--no local retailer can maintain stock of many varieties of holsters for every gun. It's easy to find holsters for Glocks and 1911s, J-frames, M&Ps, etc.--but try finding a holster for a Beretta Bobcat, NAA Pug, Kahr, etc. Any of those things can be purchased on eBay for a decent price, so I only rarely buy a holster from an actual bricks-and-mortar store. Same deal with the less common versions of speedloaders, magazines, night sights, etc., etc. It's got to be tough for the smaller shops especially; they usually just stock a few generic nylon holsters, but I can imagine that it's not worth trying to stock many nice leather holsters, which will just sit on the rack for years.

remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    My two cents on Gander Mountain? I like them. Yes, they are priced high. I go in to look around once in a while, but rarely buy anything because, as a college student, my wallet is a little more sensitive than most people's. I do peruse their ads every week, because once in a while they do have a sale that you just can't pass up. And I don't think I've ever personally bought something from there that wasn't on sale. Yeah, a lot of times their sales just bring down the price to what you should normally expect to pay elsewhere, but like I said, once in a while they have one of those deals you just can't pass up. For example, right now they have an M&P 15 with a total of 4 mags for less than $700. Granted, the 3 mags are a SW offer and I do believe that is a standing offer if you buy an M&P 15. But like I said, if you shop the sales, you can occasionally get a good deal over there.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    My two cents on Gander Mountain? I like them. Yes, they are priced high. I go in to look around once in a while, but rarely buy anything because, as a college student, my wallet is a little more sensitive than most people's. I do peruse their ads every week, because once in a while they do have a sale that you just can't pass up. And I don't think I've ever personally bought something from there that wasn't on sale. Yeah, a lot of times their sales just bring down the price to what you should normally expect to pay elsewhere, but like I said, once in a while they have one of those deals you just can't pass up. For example, right now they have an M&P 15 with a total of 4 mags for less than $700. Granted, the 3 mags are a SW offer and I do believe that is a standing offer if you buy an M&P 15. But like I said, if you shop the sales, you can occasionally get a good deal over there.

I still shop the Ganders around here in Castleton and Greenwood because occasionally they have a nice used gun that is priced right. Don't bother with new guns though. There selection of used guns lately has taken a dive though. I don't like the all guns behind the counter format either.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Gander Mountain has purchasing agents that buy supply; whether that be a firearm, ammo, or a kazoo, that's their job. That being said, they are purchasing some items (i.e. firearms) at the same cost as most dealers are selling them for. I'm not saying that Gander doesn't mark their stuff up, they do. It's a convenience factor.
    "

I have a hard time believing that Gander isn't buying firearms at a lower price point than my local fun store. They do a lot more volume comparatively speaking.

wild willy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Some people do the same thing when they buy cars.....Got to the first dealer and what ever they tell them, they pay. Like Ron White says....."You can't fix stupid"

Top Bottom