• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveg26

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Went to gander in greenwood last saterday to check and see if they had any s&w shields instock. Just wanted to see how it felt. Well nun instock so I ask the guy behind the counter if they had had any come in. He said they have had two and sold the same day. I said how much are they selling for he said 629.00 I told him that was crazy that s&w list them for 449.00 . I think I pissed him off by laughing at him. He said well that's what we are geting for them. I can't believe people would pay such a high price.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    its simple supply and demand. Just like when new xbox's or ps3's come out...buy at retail and mark up.

Its great having a free market. If I am the only person with something many people want, I'm going to net the biggest profit possible. Only makes sense.

Shwaisey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Gander employees understand the prices are ridiculous but they also have low respect for their customers.

Knuckle Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    NWI
    its simple supply and demand. Just like when new xbox's or ps3's come out...buy at retail and mark up.

Its great having a free market. If I am the only person with something many people want, I'm going to net the biggest profit possible. Only makes sense.

I was at Gander Mountain this past week and they had the Walther PPS in a .40 cal for $749, Blythes in Valpo was asking $599.

Respectfully, I agree it is great having a free market however simple supply and demand doesn't mean gouge your clientele.

.....just saying. :dunno: Seems to be normal for GM.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    They told my mom the other day that 45 acp are hard to come by, they wanted premium prices at $85 for 100 rounds of winchester 45 acp

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I love the posts where people get butthurt when someone won't sell them something for what they are willing to pay. It is called capitalism folks. They can charge whatever they want for a product. You, however, can pay whatever you want for the item. Assuming that the two prices are compatible, then a deal is made. If not, then ce la vie.

There is no such thing as gouging, only supply and demand. If something is in demand, and supply is scarce, then the price increases. This tends to keep people from hoarding a scarce resource by not allowing them to buy it all up cheaply. They only buy what they need and can afford, therefore leaving other resources for others to purchase. Works with the new M&P and with generators after a hurricane. If generators were cheap, you might just buy a couple, one to run your fridge, one for your tv and xbox. If they are more expensive, you would only buy one and make due without the tv and xbox and someone else gets to buy one to run their fridge.

If you don't like the price somewhere, tell them and then don't buy. Go buy where it is cheaper. Just quit moaning on here about your latest case of butthurt.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I agree with the above post to an extent, however, they are not doing it bc of supply and demand. They are doing it because people that buy guns there often don't know any better. People that know better are paying actual price at a GOOD lgs like Bradis or PSS.

steveg26

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Well im not moaning about butthurt im not in to that but you sound like a man with experience in that department. Im just saying the guy seemed like a jakass I went there to get a feel for the gun. I think it's sad that they take advantage of people that don’t know any better.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    People make LOTS of ignorant impulse buys. Goto bestbuy/walmart and check out the TVs. They make the more expensive TVs look great, and the lower priced looke like ****.

I'm a tech nerd, and continuously advise people to adjust the contrast, brightness, and check the inputs on a TV they are looking at. Big box stores are notorious at turning conrast and brightness to nearly unpleasant levels.

All companies do this stuff, not just gun companies.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I agree with the above post to an extent, however, they are not doing it bc of supply and demand. They are doing it because people that buy guns there often don't know any better. People that know better are paying actual price at a GOOD lgs like Bradis or PSS.

You seem to misunderstand the concept of supply and demand. If a retailer is selling something for a price, regardless of what you personally think of that price, and someone is willing to pay it, supply has met demand. There're a plethora of reasons people might choose to shop at Gander Mountain as opposed to smaller gun stores.

If you don't like the place, great, don't shop there. That goes for absolutely anything in life.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    caveat emptor - let the buyer beware

I have seen "this" thread in many forms on this board, from the classifieds, to the 1500, to chain stores, to local gun shops. All with the same op conclusion, that if someone is selling something for more than YOU are willing to pay, then they are somehow gouging or taking advantage of people. Or that they are ripping people off for not selling something below their cost and trying to make a profit (evil).

Peoples fundamental lack of understanding of basic economic facts is a large part of the reason the country is in the state that it is in.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    You laughed at the employee and told him he was crazy. He then says "That's what we are getting for them", and you feel inclined to write this thread? A) It's called CAPITALISM. If you don't like the price, go somewhere else. B) Why would you want to take your frustration out on the employee? He has absolutely no say in the price of that item. I could maybe see getting upset with the owner (IE Don's Guns), but Gander is a Corporation.

threedhuntr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Howard county
    Well im not moaning about butthurt im not in to that but you sound like a man with experience in that department. Im just saying the guy seemed like a jakass I went there to get a feel for the gun. I think it's sad that they take advantage of people that don’t know any better.

+1

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Well im not moaning about butthurt im not in to that but you sound like a man with experience in that department.

Really?

Facts and logic, man. Stick with facts and logic. Personal insults do nothing but underscore one's inability to debate and defend their stance on an issue.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    They told my mom the other day that 45 acp are hard to come by, they wanted premium prices at $85 for 100 rounds of winchester 45 acp

Nonsense. I work at Meijers in Anderson and stopped by the ammo just yesterday. There was plenty of .45 acp in stock. Admittedly though, they were lower in stock on handgun ammo overall than I have seen for awhile.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    prices are always to high
    is this guy still at it? ahh well..

heres my :twocents:. gander mountain is not a specific material / good selling store. stores / corporations that focus upon one certain item or group of items can generally sell them at a lower price, (hence why lgs' are often cheaper.) if you like buying your frogtoggs with your guns, by all means, but i know im pretty thrift when it comes to "stimulating" this economy of ours.

Top Bottom