• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sporty_live

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Feel free to boycott them, more ammo for everybody else.

They made a mistake - they notified you. Would you have preferred they kept your money and said nothing? Then again, what do you expect them to do - offer you some *other* type of ammunition that is also out of stock as well? There is customer service and then there is unrealistic expectations.

And is the Lafayette Gander Mountain the warehouse/distribution center for their online sales? If so - then sure, be mad. If not - then I don't see how it's relevant.

That said, hey - at least it was in stock. How much do you want to bet if it was listed at $15 that it wouldn't have been on the shelf? You then wouldn't have even had the opportunity to pass on buying it.

They made a mistake and you're too critical, imho.

Sure, boycott them - more for the rest of us.

Why is it an unrealistic expectation for them to offer a replacement product of similar or greater value? Obviously you must not have interaction with the public on a customer service level as you simply dont get it.

My reference to Lafayette having ammo is certainly relevant in this situation. The fact that their stores are stocking ammo reflects the fact that, as a company, they have access to ammo. Many retailers offer a free service to transfer goods between their stores, why should their online store be any different?

As far as prices, they can set them however they choose as is their right. However, if you dont smell BS when they cancel an order for an item for $15 through their online site yet sell the same item in a brick and mortar store for almost twice that amount, you truly are drinking the Kool Aid.

Lastly,the whole "more ammo for the rest of us" is a bit tired, give it a rest.

debeerman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    In a van down by the river
    No sure what industry you are in but you are applying unrealistic expectations on customer service. In all actuality you found something that was an error or underpriced in current market conditions and are looking for some type of compensation you don't deserve for something that you never took posession of. They informed you that the item was out of stock and it was AT THE PRICE YOU WANTED. Just because you wanted it at a price and it was not available at that price don't mean they owe you anything. You never had the product.
    I have more than 18 years of managing customer service and sales reps. Your whining doesn't do anything for you. It is much more involved process than I am going to lay out here but the Reader's Digest version is I have all of my reps all trained if it is our mistake you make it right if the only feel it is a mistake on our part do what is reasonable if it it is their mistake do what you can however to a point the customer is not always right As a last resort and if they use too much of our resources fire that person as a customer. We flag the account as a do not sell and block the phone number(s) they call from their emails are blacklisted. Some people are just not worth the time and your rant puts you started down that path. A retailer does not have to sell to you just like you do not have to buy from them. Oh and BTW we have several businesses that are doing quite well, with nice margins and plenty of satisfied customers. We don't need all the customers just the good ones.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Why is it an unrealistic expectation for them to offer a replacement product of similar or greater value? Obviously you must not have interaction with the public on a customer service level as you simply dont get it.
    If it's available, then it's an option. That said - it's their business and they can run it how they wish.

I interact directly with more than several hundred customers per day, but I'm sure you already knew that.

My reference to Lafayette having ammo is certainly relevant in this situation. The fact that their stores are stocking ammo reflects the fact that, as a company, they have access to ammo. Many retailers offer a free service to transfer goods between their stores, why should their online store be any different?
    Their online store is not the same as their retail storefront - they are not going to ship product from a retail store back to a warehouse to fulfill your online order and to expect them to do so is part of why I said your expectations are unrealistic.

I could go into a huge list of reasons why this wouldn't happen, but you don't seem to be reasonable so I'll save my time.

As far as prices, they can set them however they choose as is their right. However, if you dont smell BS when they cancel an order for an item for $15 through their online site yet sell the same item in a brick and mortar store for almost twice that amount, you truly are drinking the Kool Aid.
    It's a conspiracy - they're conspiring against you with their local stores to charge you more... Wait ... couldn't they have just upped the price online? Sure they could - but I suppose for you it's easier to believe that they're out to get you.

Lastly,the whole "more ammo for the rest of us" is a bit tired, give it a rest.
    It's quite true - what you don't buy, somebody else will and I'm sure they may not be happy about the price - they'll be happy they didn't find an empty shelf.

sporty_live

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Brownsburg
    if it is our mistake you make it right

so what exactly was done on their part to make it right?

Just because you have 18 years experience managing customer service reps doesnt make you an authority. I have been in a customer service capacity in one form or another for 27 years and have been a Regional Manager covering offices in the Central and Eastern of the United States. Is your field of expertise in retail? office setting? maintenance? When weighing your decisions on how you handle a situation, how many variables do you take into account? Im sure you handle a customer that is 5% of your company's gross income a lot differently than one who is 0.0001%. I would also imagine that a customer you have had for 20 years is treated much differently than one who just walked in the door. As I am sure you are aware, it is much harder to keep a customer than to obtain a new one. While I am one of the countless people scavenging for ammo, I have also been a long time customer.

Have you ever heard the term "Give em the Pickle"? You should look it up.

Dagoney22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    NWI-Merrillville
    Well the problem is people are hording all the cheap crap....so Red, I'm willing to bet what you had picked up was a match grade round. My gander Mtn. prices are the exact same now as they where 6 months ago, it's just that all the bulk cheap crap is gone and only high end left (or remington which costs more for just saying remington) the employee saying that was a little out of line. but odds are he is probably tired of giving an actual explanation every 5 seconds when he gets asked the same thing all day long.

ganderslander

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Well, they seem to be the only major retailer taking advantage of the times...and us. Went in last week and they finally had some .308.....wait for it....$50.00 a box! I mentioned it to one of the guys working there and he had the stones to reply "what's wrong with making money."

it was Sierra match gold .308 its normally $45 a box but as everyone knows GM sells it for $50, everyone else is sold out & so did we so I guess $5 more wasnt too bad for most.

Combsie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Spencerville,IN
    I get so tired of you guys with your "It's capitalism,blah,blah,blah, you don't understand how capitalism works blah,blah,blah." The price on this stuff is NOT being driven up at a manufacturing level. Dealers are getting this stuff at the same price they always have or very slightly higher. When gas stations raise their price it is because they are paying more for it from THEIR supplier and the cost is then passed off to us. Very little per gallon actually goes to the store you are buying it from. When these gun/ammo dealers buy something at the same price they did 6 months ago and sell it for 3-4 times what they charged for it 6 months ago it is GOUGING plain and simple. Are there people with more money than sense that will pay it? Of course,there always are, but that doesn't change the fact that it is gouging. Just like the guys (who are actually the biggest part of the problem in the first place)waiting in line on shipment days to buy the stuff before it can even hit the shelves at regular price so they can turn around and GOUGE someone else with inflated prices that they created in the first damn place. Just because you CAN do something doesn't make it the RIGHT thing to do. I would also like to know how many of you who like to give lessons in capitalism and defend the gouging of your fellow sportsman have been taking advantage of others yourselves.

I wait in line on "shipment days". Only difference is I keep the ammo I buy. It's either that or pay 3x more from someone else.

bhogan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    i got 7 boxes of 308 i can sell u. if u want it let me know. no high prices just what i paid for it.

Top Bottom