• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I believe there are three major advantages GM has over the LGS.
    * *1.). Store hours. When I leave work at 6:00 pm M-F the only store open is a GM. I drive right by two of my LGS on my way to GM. My guess is that the people with the money that can afford making gun purchases work full time. Many of us fit that work M-F schedule and that is when we find many of the LGS open. There is also Saturday for us to shop, but I don't know about you but I have all that work to do around the house before I can play and by then the LGS is closed. GM is opened until 9:00 pm so i can go after supper. Sunday? Forget it, my LGS closed - only GM is open. Advantage GM.

2.). Marketing. it is a known fact that those multipage advertising circulars work to get people into the store. When was the last time you received such a thing from your LGS or even yet, when was the last time you saw a 1/2 page or full page add *in the paper by your LGS? Sales create excitement. How will the GM customer ever know that gun they have their eye on is cheaper at the LGS? They won't because GM is their destination. GM does a much better job marketing than the LGS. As someone already mentioned, the cleanliness. Again, people make big money studying these things and regardless of what the customer thinks, sub consciously customer prefer the cleaner, more organized and newer looking store to shop in. GM has access to all of these studies, and employee people that marketing is their job. The LGS is usually ran by the owner and family, and then some other people that know things a out guns. I suspect that the LGS are not hiring people with marketing degrees. Advantage GM.

3.). Inventory & Selection. When you want to look at the new M&P that just came out, do you want to go to a store that has one that you may hold in your hands and drool on or the store that can order if for you for less money? You might not like the way it feels in your hand. You want to see it now, not order it and be stuck with it. Besides, when we want something we want it now. We do not want to wait a week or two for it to come in, then have to leave work early to get to the store before they close. *GM can afford a good selection of guns, which regardless of price, it is the gun that is in stock that is going to sell. Plus like someone already pointed out, GM domes a fine job of also stocking fishing, camping and clothing. *Advantage GM.

Jay's Sporting Goods in Clare, Michigan started in Jay's garage. *Jay's offers all the advantages of a GM while still being family owned, the best of both worlds. This smart man understood the experience that the customer wanted. Although Jay has passed away, his wife and son continue on. Today Jay's is bigger than the average GM and employees hundreds of people. Jay's is open 7 days a week and does not close down for the rifle deer season like other LGSs do. People don't go to Jay's to get the best price on a gun, they go because they know it will be in stock along with hundreds of other guns. They have a choice of what they will buying, maybe they will buy two guns because they can't narrow it down to just one. Used guns. Jay's used gun selection would put to shame some LGS new gun selections.*

These are my personal opinions derived from having owned/managed my own store for 6 years and now shopping as a customer at both GM and the LGS when possible. GM makes it easier to shop. I realized that I have stated a lot of generalizations about GM and LGS but I believe that is what we are doing in this thread. *There are GM that are not as stated and there are LGS that do a great job, like Jay's.

I think this post pretty much nailed it. With the large amount of capitol GM has, they can hire more people to be able to rotate employees and have longer hours, and spend more in advertising to get their name and product lines out there to "the public".
    We've had a really good LGS here for a couple of years, maybe less (Primitive Peddler, now Peddler Firearms, sorry Bandit, can't remember exactly how long) but I still run across people that are "gun people" at work or wherever, but have either never heard of it, or don't know where it is.

Everyone knows what Gander Mountain is. Brand recognition.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Yikes

Where to start?

I don't have a time issue since I'm retired. - Draw
    I live about halfway between Gander & my favorite LGS. - Draw
    The Greenwood GM has moved all their guns behind the counter, probably to keep dopes who have no intention of buying from beating them up. - Draw
    Gander's gun prices are the highest I've seen anywhere. - LGS
    Knowledgeable sales people. - LGS
    Friendly sales people. - LGS
    Gander's ammo prices are beyond ridiculous. - LGS

Well, by golly! Gander wins none of these scientifically researched and totally unbiased categories and loses every one related to price and customer interaction.

Cliff Notes version: Gander sucks. I like my LGS.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    GM does seem to attract the crowds. I've seen over a half hour wait in the Castleton store on a Saturday (they were calling numbers). The staff is friendly and patient. They were a bit better about answering the newbie questions than some of the smaller shops. The prices are high, but then again like every big store they have sales. Price check was 550@GM and 489@BGF.

As for ammo Meijer carries it at a decent price if you don't care for Walmart. Tracking down someone at Meijer is every bit as hard as at Walmart. I usually just head for the nearby photo deparment and they open the case for me.

I was in the Lima Road GM store in the Fort yesterday. They set up the "take a number" system as I approached the firearms section. There was a good crowd checking things out. I looked over the used handguns and the new rifles. Found some interesting items. Fondled a Winchester 94 and a Marlin 336. Very fine weapons. Also fondled the Stoeger double-barreled 12 ga. Very nice!

As I was looking about, the tall, thin, bearded employee we have mentioned previously commented that a certain used pistol was priced almost equal to the new ones because the company considered it "almost new." He did not sanction the price, just explained why the price was set that high. Must admit, I was impressed with the operation. It was the best I have seen them perform, and the guy clearly knew his firearms.

I did notice that their prices on .380 auto, .38SPL, 9mm, and .40S&W were all priced at least a dollar higher than I had just seen in Meijer. Even their specials were higher than everyday prices at Meijer. FYI, Meijer is about the same as Walmart locally.

Overall, GM is improving.

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Overall, GM is improving.

It's a good sign to be reading comments like this from members on this board. Turnover is stupid high for this company, but a number of the part/full time staff recently hired are high quality, both in person and knowledge. Nice to see that reflected by experiences.

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    You can haggle with Gander Mountain. I bought my Stoeger shotgun there and the salesman got approval to take 25bucks off the price. People complain about GM prices but i have found that Indy area gun shops are just as high as Gander Mountain.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Rich people have money to burn so they don't care much about price. These people buy at Gander Mountain in Castleton and other richer neighborhoods. However, as Oboma and Company takes away their money (since they didn't earn it themselves) they will become like the rest of us....as in paying attention to the dollar spent on any particular item.

I dislike rich people who flaunt the fact that they are rich.

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    You are going to the wrong shops if that is the case...

Anyone can check the MSRP with a smart phone. That is what I did in the case of buying my shotgun. The problem with most shops is they do not have the selection that GM has. I do not like having to order a firearm. I am wanting a Smith .460 XVR. I don't know of any gun shops that stock them on a regular basis. My only option is GM. I cannot find one at a gun show either. GM is still 150 dollars below MSRP. If you know where I can find one cheaper please let me know.

LadyRuger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I am wanting a Smith .460 XVR.
    If you know where I can find one cheaper please let me know.[/QUOTE]

What do you plan on shooting?

Not knowing which barrel you are desiring, and not finding a Smith 460 XVR on the GM website, here is the price on the 8-3/8" Barrel on a 460 XBR - MSRP is $1319 and cheaperthandirt.net shows $1037.32 but since galleryofguns.com is out of stock, I can not see the cost there but suspect it may be less. The longer barrels at Cheaper reflect similiar savings.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Anyone can check the MSRP with a smart phone. That is what I did in the case of buying my shotgun. The problem with most shops is they do not have the selection that GM has. I do not like having to order a firearm. I am wanting a Smith .460 XVR. I don't know of any gun shops that stock them on a regular basis. My only option is GM. I cannot find one at a gun show either. GM is still 150 dollars below MSRP. If you know where I can find one cheaper please let me know.

Well, that appears to be an item that is not as common as many others. I'm assuming you have already inquired at many of the local shops that are known to have better pricing (as to what it would cost you to have them order one? ) and that you have compared online pricing. If so, then go ahead and get one at GM.

GM does have the occasional deal, but I'd never say that " that Indy area gun shops are just as high as Gander Mountain " as on the vast majority of guns it just doesn't seem to be the case.

JC PAINT WORKZ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I look at GM all the time when I'm in there for something else. But would probably never buy a firearm there or ammo for that matter. Might as well go throw 40-50% in the trash can

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I believe there are three major advantages GM has over the LGS.
    * *1.). Store hours. When I leave work at 6:00 pm M-F the only store open is a GM. I drive right by two of my LGS on my way to GM. My guess is that the people with the money that can afford making gun purchases work full time. Many of us fit that work M-F schedule and that is when we find many of the LGS open. There is also Saturday for us to shop, but I don't know about you but I have all that work to do around the house before I can play and by then the LGS is closed. GM is opened until 9:00 pm so i can go after supper. Sunday? Forget it, my LGS closed - only GM is open. Advantage GM.

2.). Marketing. it is a known fact that those multipage advertising circulars work to get people into the store. When was the last time you received such a thing from your LGS or even yet, when was the last time you saw a 1/2 page or full page add *in the paper by your LGS? Sales create excitement. How will the GM customer ever know that gun they have their eye on is cheaper at the LGS? They won't because GM is their destination. GM does a much better job marketing than the LGS. As someone already mentioned, the cleanliness. Again, people make big money studying these things and regardless of what the customer thinks, sub consciously customer prefer the cleaner, more organized and newer looking store to shop in. GM has access to all of these studies, and employee people that marketing is their job. The LGS is usually ran by the owner and family, and then some other people that know things a out guns. I suspect that the LGS are not hiring people with marketing degrees. Advantage GM.

3.). Inventory & Selection. When you want to look at the new M&P that just came out, do you want to go to a store that has one that you may hold in your hands and drool on or the store that can order if for you for less money? You might not like the way it feels in your hand. You want to see it now, not order it and be stuck with it. Besides, when we want something we want it now. We do not want to wait a week or two for it to come in, then have to leave work early to get to the store before they close. *GM can afford a good selection of guns, which regardless of price, it is the gun that is in stock that is going to sell. Plus like someone already pointed out, GM domes a fine job of also stocking fishing, camping and clothing. *Advantage GM.

Jay's Sporting Goods in Clare, Michigan started in Jay's garage. *Jay's offers all the advantages of a GM while still being family owned, the best of both worlds. This smart man understood the experience that the customer wanted. Although Jay has passed away, his wife and son continue on. Today Jay's is bigger than the average GM and employees hundreds of people. Jay's is open 7 days a week and does not close down for the rifle deer season like other LGSs do. People don't go to Jay's to get the best price on a gun, they go because they know it will be in stock along with hundreds of other guns. They have a choice of what they will buying, maybe they will buy two guns because they can't narrow it down to just one. Used guns. Jay's used gun selection would put to shame some LGS new gun selections.*

These are my personal opinions derived from having owned/managed my own store for 6 years and now shopping as a customer at both GM and the LGS when possible. GM makes it easier to shop. I realized that I have stated a lot of generalizations about GM and LGS but I believe that is what we are doing in this thread. *There are GM that are not as stated and there are LGS that do a great job, like Jay's.

Where to start?

I don't have a time issue since I'm retired. - Draw
    I live about halfway between Gander & my favorite LGS. - Draw
    The Greenwood GM has moved all their guns behind the counter, probably to keep dopes who have no intention of buying from beating them up. - Draw
    Gander's gun prices are the highest I've seen anywhere. - LGS
    Knowledgeable sales people. - LGS
    Friendly sales people. - LGS
    Gander's ammo prices are beyond ridiculous. - LGS

Well, by golly! Gander wins none of these scientifically researched and totally unbiased categories and loses every one related to price and customer interaction.

Cliff Notes version: Gander sucks. I like my LGS.

BUT, BY GOLLY! GM "WINS" customers every day. And the following is meant as NO DISRESPECT TO INGO OR OUR LGS....

BUT, your average Carmel/Fisher dude has never heard of us. He doesn't know an INGO from an ANCHOR. Nor a PPS from a BBQ. Nor what a 1500 is. Holy Crap....he prolly only moved to town in the past few years. He isn't aware that an entire sub-culture of "gun aficionado's" like us even exist!

He's the guy that grew up with a Red Rider BB Gun (25 years ago), just got home from the kid's soccer game, needs to check out some softball equipment, and is thinking about buying "a gun" maybe for "deer huntin' or somethin'..."

Oh yeah, and GM and Walmart both had circulars in the paper today that advertised products in all of those areas. One stop shopping!

Is "HE" ever gonna purchase from our LGS, even if they are $200 less than GM? Nope. They don't exist as far as "he" knows.

Are "WE" ever gonna purchase ONLY from GM and ignore our LGS? Nope.
    Because "we" ARE aware of our LGS and the benefits they bring to "our" community.

It's almost as if we have two mutually exclusive cultures. GM/Walmart meet certain needs. And our LGS certainly meet certain needs. Should one try to be the other? I don't think so. But let's not bash one, over the other.

It's OK to be different!

Just my :twocents: other opinions may vary......

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I was at gander Mtn in Ft Wayne today. 3rd time in 6 weeks, still no small pistol primers. Inquiring at the gun counter, same answer as last 2 times "We get that stuff on Thursday"! O.K., "what day is it??????" Blank stare from behind the counter........................

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    GM Castleton

All new staff recently, not such a bad thing given some of the oddballs that had been there but the new guys and the gun manager just don't get it. Their gun prices across the board are ridiculous. Braids and Plainfield SS beat GM every time without trying. Ammo prices are also way, way too high. Recently GM had PMC .223 at $8.99+$9.99/20 and Plainfield was at $7.99.Ask them about that at GM and they mumble or just ignore you. Better yet 5.56 NATO XM855 $279+ at GM. Natchez Shooters Supply on line $179!!!
    In sum, GM sometimes fun to look around but don't waste $$$ with their high prices.

Top Bottom