• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    A friend is joining the management team at Gander Mountain. He'd like to hear from INGO members about Ganders service. No profanity and the more factual information the better. I'll forward your information and who knows - it might make the Mountain come to us.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    It's really quite simple. Because Gander's prices aren't great by any stretch of the imagination, these following things are even more important than normal!

Ensure that the guys at the gun counter are

1. Helpful
    2. Courteous
    3. Friendly
    4. Cheerful
    5. Knowledgeable
    I can tell you from experience that those guys who work there are none of the first 4. I don't know about the 5th because they never talk or even acknowledge my presence.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    pretty much my only complaint is the gun counter. Many times I have gone in there to look, possibly buy and I am either ignored or asked where my better half is. :rolleyes:
    the one time I did buy I was encouraged to buy something different than what I was there for. (a revolver over a semi auto handgun) It finally took my better half (cough cough) to walk over and stand over him before he would sell me what I wanted.
    Yes I am a woman and there are a lot of women out there who don't know or understand firearms, however they do not need to treat all women like they are like that.
    After the last fiasco (and of course getting our FFL) I won't/wouldn't buy guns from them again.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Well here are some of my issues I have found with Gander.
    1. Gun counter is ok, however they are not very knowledgable.
    2. The guns on display are treated poorly, alot of the ones I look at have scratches on the metal and stocks, yet they want to sell them as new.
    3. The gunsmith is very poor, I would not trust him around any of my firearms.
    4. I had an issue that was supposed to be ressolved by a store assist. manager. Never taken care of and no reply back.

Educating there employees should be number 1 priority, the ones I deal with are nice and friendly-but this isnt Walmart, please know what your talking about, especially when it comes to firearms.

I do like visiting and once in awhile making a buy on something that may be on sale, but they seriously need some guidelines and certain rules in the store.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It's really quite simple. Because Gander's prices aren't great by any stretch of the imagination, these following things are even more important than normal!

Ensure that the guys at the gun counter are

1. Helpful
    2. Courteous
    3. Friendly
    4. Cheerful
    5. Knowledgeable
    I can tell you from experience that those guys who work there are none of the first 4. I don't know about the 5th because they never talk or even acknowledge my presence.

I was at the one in greenwood 2 days ago and got all 5 from 2 different employees. These is very good advice though!

One incident that I wasn't happy about though, was that I was standing by the gun counter to buy a shotgun. I knew exactly what I wanted and it was going to be simple for both parties. After letting the employee behind the counter know this, he said he would be right with me and proceeded to have a chit chat with a customer for 15 minutes about guns. Not selling him one, but just about guns in general. I left. Bought the gun at BigR.

I also went there to pick up a good goose call, but all they had were the $15 - $30 ones. There is NOBODY in IN that carries high end calls, aside from Cabela's, and I think Gander is a worthy supplier. As a matter of fact, their entire waterfowl section was rather depressing. 1 freakin short isle. Didn't even have blind covers. You're friend in management may not be able to do anything about this, but its just something to think about:yesway:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    pretty much my only complaint is the gun counter. Many times I have gone in there to look, possibly buy and I am either ignored or asked where my better half is. :rolleyes:
    the one time I did buy I was encouraged to buy something different than what I was there for. (a revolver over a semi auto handgun) It finally took my better half (cough cough) to walk over and stand over him before he would sell me what I wanted.
    Yes I am a woman and there are a lot of women out there who don't know or understand firearms, however they do not need to treat all women like they are like that.
    After the last fiasco (and of course getting our FFL) I won't/wouldn't buy guns from them again.

I received the same treatment, too. Didn't buy a gun then, and I never will.

andrewheath

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    When I go in there for anything other than the firearms sections I have a very pleasant experience. However, when I was shopping for a new pistol, I was consistently ignored from what I contribute to my only being 22 years old. It seems it's common practice there to ignore anyone under 30 years of age.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    if it is the one at castelton fire the gunsmith he is a pansy he cleaned my shotgun and never tightened the barrel back on

You know, I can raise a lot of questions from this. For instance, why does improper gunsmithing make you a pansy? Or why didn't you just clean your shotgun yourself? Also, is english your first language?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    They REALLY need to watch their pricing

A USED CZ P07 Duty for $699...

When a BRAND NEW one is selling for $649.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    You know, I can raise a lot of questions from this. For instance, why does improper gunsmithing make you a pansy? Or why didn't you just clean your shotgun yourself? Also, is english your first language?

:+1:

I haven't done enough business with the Gander gunsmith to hold an opinion - but he did to a nice job drilling out a frozen pin that I had no tools to handle - and inexpensively.

I clean my own guns so i have no idea what to expect out of such a service. Takes a $10 investment and 15 minutes of time. I couldn't drive there and back for $10 on most days.

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    I have spent a lot of $$$$ at Gander and the only real complaint I have with them is there is never any ammo on the shelf and if there was you'd have to go across the street the the bank to get a loan to buy a box.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Well, I remember them gouging the crap out of the ammo prices during the apex of the "shortage" and my buisness with them has significantly decreased since then.

With that aside, I've had many mixed experiences there. Some of the sales staff have been responsive, courteous, knowledgable and generally helpful. Some however have been the complete opposite and you can stand there for 45 minutes with out being acknowledged.

One thing for sure though, they need to update thier "bluebook" to an edition that is AT MOST 1 year old. I've attempted to sell a few guns in the past and they pull out some withered old gun guide with price appraisals that seem like they were from the 80's... then offer 70% of that... :rolleyes:

Nowadays I generally like Gander Mountain to look at something I'm interested in, because they do have a fairly extensive inventory, so I can then order it elsewhere for a lot cheaper.

fst aslp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Zionsville, IN
    I was in there this weekend looking at guns. I have been there MANY time previous to this instance, but this was the first positive visit.

There was a gentleman behind the counter who actually acknowledged me and came over and asked what I wanted to look at. I was literally caught off guard. He showed me the P7 and explained the history behind them. We also talked about a few other arms. I believe his name started with a "C" and he was about 40 with parted dark hair.

I remember him because he was the first helpful person I have enountered in the Castleton Store. I would like to go there more often because I live across the street, but in the past it has been too aggravating.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    If I were to be approached by anyone working at the Gander gun counter, I'd be so surprised that I'd probably draw, thinking I as being mugged.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I have to agree with Indy Guy 77, I got my "used" (never fired) 3rd gen G22 from GM for $450 Later they had a really used beat up 1st gen for $475 They are not real consistent on their pricing.

CVictor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Crown Point
    If I were to be approached by anyone working at the Gander gun counter, I'd be so surprised that I'd probably draw, thinking I as being mugged.
    LOL!!

I agree with everything said, I've only been to the one in Merrillville but the sales guys aren't knowledgeable or helpful, the only thing that can make up for that is good prices.....which they surely don't have.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Other than pricing, I will say that, for the most part the gun counter folks at the Greenwood store are probably the most knowledgeable folks at any of the Gander stores that I've been to. (Terre Haute, Merrilville, Castleton, and Greenwood).

SOME of the younger guys don't have the experience yet, but I've not encountered any "gun shop commando" type behavior from them, either.

However, there's one guy working there now...probably 5'10, has a quasi-mullet going on. THAT guy is indeed verging on gun shop commando. I can't help but chuckle when I see him...

-J-

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I've had good luck with Gander and their staff has been helpful.

I talked to a guy about a Remington 1100 barrel for my dad and he looked through everything they had for me.

I don't buy guns there, because they're too expensive. I generally don't buy ammo there for the same reason but I DO get the more obscure stuff there (Silent .22, 22 shotshell, etc)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom