• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm going from a chamberlain liftmaster professional 1/3hp to a chamberlain 1/2hp with myQ. I have it installed, but stuck at the wiring part. Anyone able to give me quick advice on how to do the wiring so I don't have to rerun everything? It's currently buried behind drywall and very clean.

i'm tempted to use wire nuts and a leader wire going into the new terminals but not sure how.

old:

New:

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Not totally sure without the diagram. But think it should hook up the same. The double red should be red. The single red to the arrows.

NOTICE - I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so YMMV. ;)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I saw it the other way. First pic the single red is going to a red pole. Then three whites to white, and two reds to the black. I did the wire nuts, going to plug in soon and see what happens :runaway:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    If I understand your question, you are wanting to connect the double red and three white wires to the single wire connection on the new opener, correct? If you have any of the right gauge wire handy, just add a short piece to those wires as a pig tail and wire nut them together. Then use the single pigtail to make to connection to the opener. Be sure to twist the wires together then put on the wire nut. An alternative might be something like this http://www.idealindustries.co.uk/product/21/306/12046/ground_cap_500_box.html. Most of the big box stores should have them.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It works! Did have to replace the wall control before it would work though.

i feel very accomplished, except I put on my latex gloves AFTER removing the old unit, chain, and support bar :(

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I was nervous about burning it up if I connected wrong. The reversal system works and this belt drive unit is a LOT quieter than old chain one.

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    I replaced our old chain drive with a belt drive last year. We have a bonus room above the garage and now it doesn't wake up the kids when you open and close garage door. Like you, I was able to leave all the existing wiring and just replace motor housing and control panel

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The MyQ is nice. We have Comcast home security/control and the MyQ integrates seamlessly with it. We can open and close the doors from anywhere and set schedules and alerts for each door. It's a pretty cool feature.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Local HD out of the myQ internet thing. Will pick up tomorrow since Amazon is a week out on stock

second opener installed. It jerks to a start which is the loudest part of the whole ordeal. Kind of annoying.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Update: chamberlain disabled their "schedule" feature where you can your door to close at a certain time if not already closed. That's the sole reason I bought these smart garage doors. Very annoying. On phone with customer service to see what we can do.

ick

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    NWI
    Bought a MyQ for my doors a few weeks ago. Was also disappointed there was no scheduler.
    Good to know that I'm not crazy and it used to be there...

I have two Liftmasters and a Chamberlin on it currently. All belt-driven openers.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Update: chamberlain disabled their "schedule" feature where you can your door to close at a certain time if not already closed. That's the sole reason I bought these smart garage doors. Very annoying. On phone with customer service to see what we can do.

Wonder why they got rid of that feature. Seems it would be very handy to have and I can't think of a downside to it.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wonder why they got rid of that feature. Seems it would be very handy to have and I can't think of a downside to it.
    My immediate guess is lawyers. They don't want someone being injured by a door that is closing automatically. I don't know about the OP's, but mine has a ~110 dB beep that goes off for several seconds before the door starts moving and then continues while the door closes. It's enough to wake the neighbors, there's no way you wouldn't know the door was going to move.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    They claim it's a security issue, or safety issue. Near as I can figure it doesn't work right when the battery is low in the thing on the door and maybe it wouldnMt work. So better to maybe not work than always not? :xmad:

Probably legal department logic

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sorry to hear. Not to rub salt into the wound, but welcome to the hosted/cloud world where you dont actually own your product, and every feature is provided at the whim of the host.

I had Intuit do something similar to me years ago. I paid extra for their pro level Quickbooks package because it included "email an invoice" feature. Over the course of a year they switched it from included in the boxed software, to free cloud account feature, to paid cloud account only feature. When I called to complain I was told if I didnt like it, I had to reinstall the software again from the disc and turn off all product updates. Oh, and re-enter every single transaction since day 1 because every time they upgrade the software no matter how minor, the database will no longer work with an earlier version. (so I couldnt restore from backup) :xmad:

Expect to have many more products out there where features come and go, regardless of what they promised up front.

And I'm kinda in the same boat. My home automation solution was quietly discontinued by the manufacturer, and the only support is via their forums with other power users.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom