• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    How do you keep your garage floors "clean" during the winter? With all of the snow slop, salt and sand that our cars pick up inevitably melts in the warm garage and there's all this muck all over the floor. I wanted to see if anyone had any good ideas to keep it somewhat clean.

I'm trying to avoid tracking that stuff into the house, and in the car when I get in it.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I only have a single car garage, so I don't have to dodge much. I do take my boots off and switch to house shoes as soon as I get inside though. I have a nice layer of brown muck on the floor that will probably stay there until spring, then I'll mop it out.

You might see if you can find some thick rubber fatigue mats though, those should help keep you up off the muck for the time being.

Anti-Fatigue-Mats.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There is no way to keep it clean if you pull your cars in.

I swept mine up the other day and then mopped it. After mopping, I used a large towel and on my hands and knees I dried it. And I decided I am leaving my car outside until this weather breaks.

My wife still parks on her side.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I might just try that tomorrow on my wife's side of the garage. If I do, I'll report back how it worked.

I would imagine it works pretty well. Snow is pretty absorbant, and I would think the ice could have a slight abrasive quality to it.

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    Bluewraith, Thanks for the ideas and that video, I'm going to have to try that. My floor looks way worse than his so it'll be a challenge. In the spring I power wash the floor to get the junk off, but it's driving me crazy.

I have found some garage floor mats but they are more than I want to spend right now $300 to $400 for 1 side, and we have a 2 car garage, I think there are some a little cheaper but not enough.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    My garage floor is a nightmare, the snow melts off both vehicles and it turns into a lake. I hooked up a 4000 watt heater in there thinking it would dry it out, no it makes a nice sauna though. Couple times a week we have to broom and squeegee it out. I am not parking outside would rather wade through the water than deal with the cold.

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    I'll need to pick up a squeegee, saw one at Lowes and should have bought it. Hind sight. I agree about not parking outside, that was the reason we have a 2 car garage, we were tired of scraping ice and frost off the windows, brushing the snow off, getting in a freakin cold car, waiting for it to warm up . Yeah when it was below 0 forget that. I'm all done with that. It's nice to not worry about that crap anymore.

Good ideas gents, thanks for sharing.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Squeegee. I first used them at the stereo shops I worked at. That is how we cleaned up after we pulled in a snow covered customer's car. If it dries out overnight, just shovel some snow into the garage floor and let it melt. Then use the squeegee to wipe the muck from the floor. This winter I've used my squeegee more than any other year...and I've had it for about 6 years. Some years I never bothered to use it.

macafly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Epoxy the floor then squeegee the junk out. Water beads on epoxy like wax on a car.
    get the real shiny stuff so it's easy to squegee---then the problem is staying on your feet and out of the hospital from the fall. We had floors that were high gloss epoxy coated and with the slightest amount of moisture, those suckers were like glare ice!!!
    Cheers

Ungie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Connecticut
    I stripped my painted floor and used epoxy on it. It squegees out pretty easily don't buy a cheap one though they break fast. I wish that I had a set up like my buddy.. his garage has drains it. He also has radiant heat in his garage floor so all he does is just wash it all out with a garden hose.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Spring Cleaning. That's why they call it that..and I wear different shoes in the house. And then there's the Swiffer by the door in the house. Takes care of dog prints too.

Top Bottom