Garage/Mechanic in UINDY or Southport area??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Can anyone recommend a garage in the UIndy or Southport area?? Daughter is a student at UIndy and her van is overheating badly. She said after letting it cool, it didn't take much coolant, so I suspect the electric radiator fan has bit the dust...:noway:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Beck service center at Edgewood and Madison.

I've not personally had any work done there, but I know several who have. And according to them - have always been treated fairly. However, they're not the cheapest.

Sure wish I knew more about mechanic'in, OP. I'm not too far from UIndy and my wife is an alumna.

I can recommend another place or 2 further south into Greenwood if needed, too.

ETA: Greene's isn't within 5 miles of UIndy, unfortunately. Another in "downtown" Greenwood is Alliance Auto Repair. 61 N Mckinley St, Greenwood, IN 46142 (317) 889-1743. I HAVE had some minor work done there. Seems to be a straight shooter and very fairly priced. 7.3 miles from UIndy.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Beck service center at Edgewood and Madison.

I've not personally had any work done there, but I know several who have. And according to them - have always been treated fairly. However, they're not the cheapest.

Sure wish I knew more about mechanic'in, OP. I'm not too far from UIndy and my wife is an alumna.

I can recommend another place or 2 further south into Greenwood if needed, too.

Thank you TF.....I have to go to Indy for an appointment later. I am going to swing by UIndy, pop the hood and look at her van. I want to see if I can fix it myself before paying someone else to do it.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    What you are saying sounds more to me like a stuck thermostat than an engine fan. You will still gt cooling this time of year because of the ambient temps but if the thermostat is stuck closed the antifreeze will just be stuck in the same place in the engine and won't circulate through the radiator to cool. It is kind of like a trap door that opens when the coolant gets to a predetermined temp.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    What you are saying sounds more to me like a stuck thermostat than an engine fan. You will still gt cooling this time of year because of the ambient temps but if the thermostat is stuck closed the antifreeze will just be stuck in the same place in the engine and won't circulate through the radiator to cool. It is kind of like a trap door that opens when the coolant gets to a predetermined temp.

Mostly agree. the E-fan does very little once you're up to speed. Even in-town driving has enough "go" time to counteract the "stop" time but it varies by vehicle and ambient conditions.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

Mostly agree. the E-fan does very little once you're up to speed. Even in-town driving has enough "go" time to counteract the "stop" time but it varies by vehicle and ambient conditions...this time of year conditions are quite favorable but the van could be of a design that has little enough cooling capacity overhead that it needs the fan.

Top Bottom