• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    Just bought my first Garand--a field grade SA that arrived from the CMP.

Upon inspection, there does not 'appear' to be any of that Cosmoline on it. Is that normal? Is there cosmoline but I just don't see it? What are the best methods for ridding the rifle of cosmoline and for treating the wood (barrel, hand guards).

Either way, do I need to do a detail strip of the rifle, to clean it, oil it, and grease the recommended locations?

Would a field strip be sufficient?

I should add that I am not very mechanically inclined, but can typically follow directions.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Just bought my first Garand--a field grade SA that arrived from the CMP.

Upon inspection, there does not 'appear' to be any of that Cosmoline on it. Is that normal? Is there cosmoline but I just don't see it? What are the best methods for ridding the rifle of cosmoline and for treating the wood (barrel, hand guards).

Either way, do I need to do a detail strip of the rifle, to clean it, oil it, and grease the recommended locations?

Would a field strip be sufficient?

I should add that I am not very mechanically inclined, but can typically follow directions.
    Congrats on the new piece of history you have there. I have a 1945 SA and actually drove my butt up to Port Clinton and picked it out back in early July. There are tons of videos on youtube for just about anything you want to do with the Garand. Mine did not have cosmoline either. You might see some in the crevices around the sights and what not but I believe most has been removed from the armorers at the CMP when they took the rifles in for rebuild, inspection, etc.

Enjoy

Pop your serial in and check out the info! http://usriflecal30m1.com/Parts/PartsList.aspx?action=home

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I own 2 and neither was coated in cosmoline. I would just do the field strip, scrub the chamber and bore, grease it up and have at it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I've been through a couple Garands and was surprised where you can find that stuff. What red zr2 says is true, basic scub & go...

However, I got a lot of entertainment from completely disassembling the rifle, soaking the metal in mineral spirits, scrubbing each part with a brush, followed by inspect & reassemble. The stock received ample amounts of Formby's Furniture Refinisher followed by Formby's Tung Oil finish. The results were outstanding and a proof mark became visible afterwards that increased the provenance and value of my 70 yr old firearm..

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Thanks for all of the great advice. IndyJohh, did you treat the wood handguards as well? That thin lower wood handguard appears tricky to separate from barrel.

I did all the wood. All the metal comes off the wood but I recommend that you leave the end pieces on the handguard. Like remauto said, search youtube for video instructions on disassembly. You can do this. Take your time, nothing on the firearm has to be "forced" to take apart or put together. It is kind of a rite of passage to "know your Garand" as they say.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    It's your rifle and you can do what you want with it, but most collectors would prefer you leave the wood alone. You don't really need to treat it with anything, the army already took care of that. It will be fine as is.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I own 2 Garand's, great guns - last one I purchased at Port Clinton. It was a "CMT service special grade" as I recall. It is the same as their "CMP Special grade" completely refurbished with new stock and all worn parts replaced EXCEPT mine was with original barrel - per the gunsmith at the counter the gun I selected had the muzzle and chamber gaged and met new (as manufactured) specs. Obviously it had no cosmoline anywhere - but I didn't see any cosmoline on any of the firearms in the rack. As had been said I would not do anything to the stock / woodwork except possibly wipe down with Boiled linseed oil occasionally. Field stripping and lubing per the book you received with your rifle should be fine. Total teardown and reassembly will take a while the first time.

Top Bottom