• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • morrisonhawk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Dubois county
    When I was in the Indiana Nat'l guard we had Garands. One rainy drill day we were cleaning them and someone found out that they had a Winchester. I suppose that most of us never looked to see what we had assigned to us and had been training with at Atterbury, but when I looked...holy smokes mine was an International Harvester. Well, I sort of became a celebrity that day and everyone came over from their tables to see my "Corn Picker."

Were these rare? And when I left the guard I asked my sarge if I could buy it because we were soon to be issued AR's. He must have been in a bad mood that day....because he said "NO!" It probably ended up in his gun cabinet...ha

What are some more rare companies and their factory location? I might be wrong but I think my Harvester was made in Evansville, IN

I still wish I had it because I fired expert with it.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I don't think the International Harvesters are all that rare. I've seen them all over. Winchester is pretty desirable, but some people who work on them have said that the Winchesters are overrated and it's the Springfields that were put together best. Just what I've read, I'm no expert.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I wouldn't say "rare", but they are less common than the other manufacturers. They were made during the Korean War, and had some problems getting started, as you can imagine for a refrigerator factory jumping into gun manufacture.
    I think they made over 300,000, which is no small number but less than a tenth of total Garand production. They IHCs do usually bring a little more, all other things equal but make.

Most IHC barrels were marked "LMR" which was code for the contractor Line Material Corp. They are often a little better shooting barrels than the average wartime barrel. Some of the earliest match Garands used them.

Yes, they were made at IH 's refrig/AC plant in Evansville. Before IHC had it, the same plant was operated by Republic making P47 fighters in WWII. Frigidaire had the place later and the building was still there next to US 41, but empty, as of a few years ago.

Edit- Got it. IHC made 337,623. There were 3,526,922 Garands made just in WWII, and a total of 5,468,772 total between 1936 and the end of Korea, so yeah, about one in twenty were Harvesters.
    Here is this IHC FAQ:
    http://www.fulton-armory.com/\faqs\M1G-FAQs\IHC.htm

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    They are the most rare of the 4 Garand Makers. I wish I could be lucky and see them all over....most I have ever seen is on Gunbroker usually for a pretty penny. CMP will shortly be selling some IHC, they will be high priced and sell out fast. Depending on the stamp on the heel and parts some of these IHC can go as high as 4000.00 or more. I believe about 40,000 were sold to Iran long ago, and those will never be coming home.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    If it had said John Deere on it, then it'd have been worth something.:D

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I don't think the International Harvesters are all that rare. I've seen them all over. Winchester is pretty desirable, but some people who work on them have said that the Winchesters are overrated and it's the Springfields that were put together best. Just what I've read, I'm no expert.

Winchesters have the worst build quality of all the Garand manufacturers. They suck, parts are poorly fit and finished. Only the cult of Winchester collectors cause them to have increased value.

I have built/re-built 100's of Garand, Winnies suck.

The IH's were produced in Evansville.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    When I was in the Indiana Nat'l guard we had Garands. One rainy drill day we were cleaning them and someone found out that they had a Winchester. I suppose that most of us never looked to see what we had assigned to us and had been training with at Atterbury, but when I looked...holy smokes mine was an International Harvester. Well, I sort of became a celebrity that day and everyone came over from their tables to see my "Corn Picker."

Were these rare? And when I left the guard I asked my sarge if I could buy it because we were soon to be issued AR's. He must have been in a bad mood that day....because he said "NO!" It probably ended up in his gun cabinet...ha

What are some more rare companies and their factory location? I might be wrong but I think my Harvester was made in Evansville, IN

I still wish I had it because I fired expert with it.

According to Scott Duffs book on the post war Garand. As you stated and someone else did to. They were made in Evansville IN. However...Springfield Armory had to step in on multiple occasions and make receivers for IHC because they (IHC) could not meet gov't contract requirements and had horrible problems with tooling. The tooling they were given by the gov't was WWII and half worn out. So with that said receivers made by SA for IHC are marked with a drawing number on the "leg" of the receiver. IHC manufactured receivers did not have said drawing number on the leg. Made by SA or not, all were assembled at the IHC factory though.
    ;)

rjwin1967

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    If what I read is correct, IH made 277,744. Harrington and Richardson made 305,600. Production ended in 1956. I believe that the H&R Garands have a good reputation for quality. Don't know about the International Harvesters. I've heard several people say that the Winchesters were not as good. I've owned a number of Springfields and found them to be very well fitted. They are a bit heavy and 30-06 ammo is bulky, but I do think they're one of the best military rifles ever made. I'd seriously consider one for a bug out rifle.

If my ex-wife reads this I want to know what you did with my low serial numbered 6 digit pre-war Garand.

tdmman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    South Central Indiana
    Thanks for all the good information. I used to live in Evansville and was unaware that Garands were produced there. I used to deliver propane to farm homes and it was surprising how many ancient IH chest freezers were still operating.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    They bring a bit higher here in the corn belt due to the association of the name.

^^THIS^^

According to Scott Duffs' book the Winchesters had poor parts production, just like somone else mentioned.
    If I were in the market for a Garand it would have to be a Springfield, I like tradtion and I think they most likely made the best ones.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Harrington and Richardson is usually considered to be the highest quality Garand. Late production Springfields are very good also.

They were all accepted by the .Gov and any of them should be just fine if in good condition.

rjwin1967

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I was incorrect. Production ended in 1957. I think the production figures I read are low. There are a few companies offering complete restoration of M-1 Garands. I've seen a few and they look very nice. They've been rebuilt to spec, given a trigger job and re-parkerized. Really, probably about the same as getting one rebuilt from the arsenal.

Top Bottom