• jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I'm impressed.

How many ARs purchased by the average American ever see 5K rounds? For a typical American who needs to defend home and hearth, and desires to have powder and ball, and a suitable arm, as a member of the militia; and will shoot and train little the PSA appears to be a solid option.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I though iraqivet(im sure i spelled the youtube name wrong) did these tests years ago and found outstanding results at a few thousand rounds. What finally failed was the gas tube at block had melted it got so hot. Then he had fixed that and the cheap rifles continued to work. Was one of yhose video series of how good is a very cheap ar15.

ACR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2024
    Goshen
    I'm impressed.

How many ARs purchased by the average American ever see 5K rounds? For a typical American who needs to defend home and hearth, and desires to have powder and ball, and a suitable arm, as a member of the militia; and will shoot and train little the PSA appears to be a solid option.
    Like he mentioned at the end of the video he would rather see someone buy one of these PSA's and a few thousand rounds and train with it vs buying like a BCM and no ammo.

But honestly one of the higher priced PSA's with a FN barrel and a better BCG it should do just fine.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I had a PSA before, along with three other brands, and they all did okay. From being in the Marines, and owning and shooting four AR's, I just got tired of them. Got rid of them all, and the ammo, and have just concentrated on bolt action rifles...I find them more interesting.

Reactions: ACR

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Like he mentioned at the end of the video he would rather see someone buy one of these PSA's and a few thousand rounds and train with it vs buying like a BCM and no ammo.

But honestly one of the higher priced PSA's with a FN barrel and a better BCG it should do just fine.
    Is it the bolt carrier or it's components that would be considered bad as a whole. I have a cheap upper with bcg and had no issues that around 13yrs old now. I'm actually looking for a couple more of the $50 bcg because they seem to work out. Missed out when psa had good deals on them or a complete upper for like 300.

Reactions: ACR

ACR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2024
    Goshen
    Is it the bolt carrier or it's components that would be considered bad as a whole. I have a cheap upper with bcg and had no issues that around 13yrs old now. I'm actually looking for a couple more of the $50 bcg because they seem to work out. Missed out when psa had good deals on them or a complete upper for like 300.
    It wasn't inherently bad, it just was wearing a bit faster then it should, causing some gassing issues. That and a extractor spring that needed replaced. And they only had issues with it around 5000 rounds. And they mentioned the BCG typically is considered to have a service life of 5000 rounds. But that said the more expensive ones will last longer.

ACR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2024
    Goshen
    I had a PSA before, along with three other brands, and they all did okay. From being in the Marines, and owning and shooting four AR's, I just got tired of them. Got rid of them all, and the ammo, and have just concentrated on bolt action rifles...I find them more interesting.
    They definitely have their different uses.
    Long range shooting can definitely be more interesting.

ACR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2024
    Goshen
    The PSA CEO is a pretty hardcore 2nd Amendment guy.
    In the near future, the only thing that PSA isn't going to make is their own powder, they will be making bullets, brass and primers.

I don't know if their long-term plans include buying a copper mine, but I wouldn't put it past them.
    On their website his motto is
    Freedom over Profit
    Palmetto State Armory’s core principle remains the same, and our commitment to freedom before profit remains unwavering. The idea is simple:

SELL AS MANY GUNS TO AS MANY LAW-ABIDING AMERICANS AS POSSIBLE.
    Putting guns into "common use" is an important legal defense established by the Supreme Court that safeguards the rights of the people against tyranny by prohibiting restrictions on firearms found to be "in common use". Putting any gun into "common use" protects against any attempt by the government to further infringe on the Second Amendment right of all Americans.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'm impressed.

Precisely. PSA's target market isn't the balls to wall gun guy that shoots 20k rounds a year and has $100k in cash just laying around to fund it. They're looking for the average everyday guy who goes to work to support his family, save whatever he can and contribute to his 401k and maybe save a little extra for family vacation. And happens to like guns and shoot some when he gets a chance.
    I have a freedom M4 nitride kit with the magpul furniture for my house gun. It never sits in a safe. It's always near my bed. Sig Sparc2 red dot and a Streamlight Polytac in a magpul cantilever mount. I'll probably never put over a 1000 rounds through that gun in my lifetime. I have it for a specific role and that's it.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    It wasn't inherently bad, it just was wearing a bit faster then it should, causing some gassing issues. That and a extractor spring that needed replaced. And they only had issues with it around 5000 rounds. And they mentioned the BCG typically is considered to have a service life of 5000 rounds. But that said the more expensive ones will last longer.

And as he mentioned, they were shooting suppressed full auto, causing more wear. Plus they hardly cleaned it. Take your average shooter shooting a couple hundred rounds semi auto, then cleaning it. Probably last longer.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    And as he mentioned, they were shooting suppressed full auto, causing more wear. Plus they hardly cleaned it. Take your average shooter shooting a couple hundred rounds semi auto, then cleaning it. Probably last longer.
    This was what I was going to say. Regular semi auto and some basic maintenance and I bet they would get north of 10k instead of 6k, which wasn’t bad. One of my AR’s is a PSA and I probably have 1500 through it with no issues. I can’t imagine it would ever be a problem for most people, even if they ran it hard. If you are burning it out you either have the money for a new gun, new barrel and bc, have a new rifle, or are dead.

Methane Herder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Pitchfork Union
    I'm impressed.

I had my Colt SP1 for probably 10 plus years. I don't know if I put 5k rnds. through it , but I am confident it was in excess of 3k.

MH

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    That was a good video. He put that upper through way more torture than 99% of people who own AR15s will ever put them through. He was harder on that thing than the people fighting in Ukraine that I seen, because I don't see them firing full auto at all and they certainly aren't carrying thousands of rounds on them to shoot in a day.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I admit to having a very low opinion of PSA and then I bought an M16A4 clone from Chris Bartocci. My opinion is much improved.

Considering one of their Type 56 clones as well.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    The PSA CEO is a pretty hardcore 2nd Amendment guy.

In the near future, the only thing that PSA isn't going to make is their own powder, they will be making bullets, brass and primers.

I don't know if their long-term plans include buying a copper mine, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Great video. I'll have to do my part to support PSA even more than I already do!

Top Bottom