Garands... Surplus vs Newly Manufactured???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Teddy12B, SA sold the rifle you are looking at, for $1000 new MSRP until they ran out of parts. (Or they lost interest in a slow selling rifle)

It is a quality, serviceable M1 Garand. If you can get it a reasonable price, it will serve you well.

It just isn't quite the same as a US built rifle from WWII or Korea. It was generally ignored by the market that could buy GI Garands for less than $500 at the time.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Some M1 Garand purest will tell you that The Navy "converted" Garands and they were never manufactured in .308, therefore they are not true M1 Garands. I love mine and wouldn't change it back for anything, but if I wanted to all I need is a barrel.

A purist that would turn up their nose at a legitimate service modified M1 isn't much of a purist. Would be about as silly as turning up noses at the M1952, since most of them were converted from regular M1Cs.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    One of these days....everyone has a "wish list" of firearms. In my top 10 are a M1 Garand, and a M1 carbine. If not to shoot (yeah right LOL!), just for the history!

Okimeister

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Getting a older vs a newer...kinda like getting and older classic Mustang GT vs a new Tang. Can't really go wrong either way, but there is something VERY special to sayabout the classics!!! But BEWARE!!!...after the first one others will soon follow you home.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have a Cmp service grade Garand that was one of 20k loaned to Denmark after WW2. It is a 1943 Springfield, and has a beach stock, and a Springfield 1966 dated rebuild barrel. It is my first and only and shoots great.

Dave

J81s82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Avon
    It has to be an original. How can you speak ok history of a garand with a newly manufactured gun. I believe you can still get a service grade from the CMP.

Top Bottom