• ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Is that cabbage on the bottom shelves?

If so, how do you use it after it's been dried?

Also, how do you store the vegetables after they are dried? And, how long do you figure the storage life is?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is that cabbage on the bottom shelves?

If so, how do you use it after it's been dried?

Also, how do you store the vegetables after they are dried? And, how long do you figure the storage life is?

I just started dehydrating last year with my Excalibur purchase. A lot of the stuff I do with it has been experimentation, somewhat informed via the interwebs.

I discovered that dehydrating enables me to use some things I don't normally eat that much of. Cabbage and celery are very handy to rehydrate and use as needed, supplementing lots of dishes when I wouldn't readily buy them to be stuck dealing with using the whole head or stalk before spoilage.

Cabbage is great in roasts, casseroles, soups, etc. It's also cheap at the grocery, making it easy to say no to fighting loopers and weeds in the garden just to have a lot of heads to deal with all at once at harvest time. One head is four racks in the Excalibur, two heads would fill it up and cost $2.50.

Chuck roast in the crock pot with a can of mushroom soup reconstituted with milk. Couple hours in, add the cabbage, celery, carrots, potatoes and hungarian peppers.
    :hooked:

Still working on storage life, but haven't lost anything yet. I store in canning jars with plastic lids, but also recycle any kind of clear plastic container that will seal well and best fit the need of the dehydrated item. I like to be able to pour when possible so popcorn bottles and Kroger pint cream bottles have been used a lot.

One or two small 02 absorbers has worked so far. I did collapse a fairly sturdy quart plastic container with the absorbers and obviously too high of a moisture content left in dehydrated halved cherry tomatoes.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Ball jars and any "recycled" bottles from store bought sauces or pickles work great BUT...............get out the wallet because ya gotzz tah have a vac packer Bro! You can buy bulk rolls of bag material at the farm supply stores so you can experiment with different sizes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ball jars and any "recycled" bottles from store bought sauces or pickles work great BUT...............get out the wallet because ya gotzz tah have a vac packer Bro! You can buy bulk rolls of bag material at the farm supply stores so you can experiment with different sizes.

I know, I missed a Amazon black friday deal on a Foodsaver and have lost track. I want one, but still argue how much it will be used for a lot of things.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I got my first one for one thing only. To take on big fishing trips where we typically bring back our limits. Fish freeze great, fast and take up less space. Just need to pack cooler with dry ice since there is no ice with fish. I label edge with a sharper, date, type and quantity. Nice for DNR too if they happen to inspect your cooler.

I don't use mine in daily life to keep cheese or leftovers fresh. If I did it would be to reseal jars with their vacuum lids. If we ever did a freeze drier and used jars, I would build one in to the rack holding the jars and use vac lids on partial jars. That just require a pump and tube, no heat bar.

They are great for sealing up critical gear or things that take up space like heavy duty garbage bags or space blankets.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I know, I missed a Amazon black friday deal on a Foodsaver and have lost track. I want one, but still argue how much it will be used for a lot of things.

IMHO, the must frustrating thing about them is the sealing strips are "iffy" on most cheap models. I would highly recommend that if you're going to spend your money save up and "buy once cry once"; get a Cadillac model. Do lots of research.

If I had the chance to do it all over again I would skip the "mid-grade" foodsaver I bought and go full commercial, even if it cost me $500 to buy the right model...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We use our Foodsaver all the time. Packed up some leftover BBQ pork the other day, and stuck it in the freezer. My wife likes to make meal-sized packages. Even have a few of the vacuum sealed plastic containers. Great for soups and the like. Wonder if they make vacuum lids for canning jars?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    IMG_03181.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Dug these on Friday after raking back the heavy layer of mulch. I love to try to get something to eat out of the garden at least once every month of the year, but I haven't done it for the last few years.

Most root crops left in the ground after the freeze turn starch to sugar to keep from freezing. These were some of the tenderest, sweetest carrots I've ever had.

Top Bottom