• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I picked up a pineapple last week, cut it up and put in the dryer today(along with cherries). Had a question-How long did you leave your pineapple in the dehydrator?

I'm using a Nesco dehydrator, temp set at 135. The book says 6-12 hours. It's been almost 11hrs and they seem to be wanting maybe 3 more. I have 5 trays of cherries, 1 tray of pineapple. Cherries are almost finished.

I should have done this last weekend. Pineapple were on sale at Meijer 10 for $10(sale ends today). I tried a dried one a little bit ago, and think I might be hooked.

Give or take twenty hours for me. It always takes longer than expected. I turn the dial on the timer and forget to record the time. :rolleyes: One pineapple won't be near enough, gotta do at least six.

I'm finishing the cherry tomatoes now:
    20150818_183743_zpstn9chhxx.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Been doing some tomato leathers with fresh herbs:

20150913_140147_zpszrmyhgp8.jpg

20150913_011223_zpsrntmf8ah.jpg

Also discovered that I could get away with a couple trays of chives without the smell running running everyone out of the house:

20150928_165234_zpssixiayq5.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Tomato leather? Never thought of that one.

I am planning to try chives today.

I'm hoping to work the tomato leathers into soups, sauces and such. They are an OK snack also.

On the chives, I used a paraflex sheet under with another tray's mesh on top to hold them down. Still a fair amount blew around the dehydrator and built up in the corners. I'll take some waist in the process vs leaving them on the ground until next year's growth.

I'm hoping to do more fresh herb drying.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Potatoes (Kennebek) - store well in the proverbial root cellar. May dad frequently grew enough that we had plenty through until next spring (i.e. March). Varieties of potatoes do NOT store equally well.

Winter Squash (Waltham butternut or similar) - same. Store through to Jan or Feb maybe. Hubbard types will store twice as long as the butternuts (3-6 mo vs. 2-3 mo).

There are some nuances to the storage of each (and even different types of squash) that Google can help you with.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I am planning to try chives today.

I ordered and stuck some garlic in a bed for next year's crop. It has shoots 8-10" tall now. Wonder if I shouldn't whack these shoots off and dehydrate them the same as chives and is planned for the continually growing green onions? Maybe wait until closer to a hard freeze to help the bulb establish better?

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Have you considered nuts and seeds? Those generally keep well. Sunflowers are an easy option. Nuts will generally take a few years to produce, but are good long-term options.
    Yes, this! Planted Carpathian (English) walnuts and pecans a decade or so ago. This year we had over a hundred pounds of walnuts and nearly 30 pounds of pecans. Tree rats got most of the pecans, but I got most of them also! Down side is they need lots of space (the trees, not the tree rats).

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Take your favorite oatmeal cookie recipe...add some dried pineapple nuggets and shredded toasted coconut...it's indescribably delicious with a mug of hot coffee.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I love spinach. Never thought about drying it. Did you read that in a book somewhere or just think of it while loading mags?

You are kind of going off the reservation with this new toy! I had a solar dehydrator in the works, a big one.......and then there was an accident. Now I have some broken glass. 48" window, only cost me a dollar, but still makes me sad.

never2big

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2014
    portage
    Thank you for this thread as it was a great read and source of info. We grew our first garden last year. It turned out great and was an awesome experience. My wife has been on pinterest for days looking for ideas for next year.

jlutzcurtis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2015
    Searching
    Well you can growing potatoes in your garden. It'll remain long time in the store and you can make various types of snacks, and chips from potatoes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Trying to get some yield out of heating the house. Thought I'd dehydrate some sale priced grocery veggies. We'll see how much the windows fog:

20160123_211233_zpslmm52o8u.jpg

20160123_211743_zpstc6jgkfe.jpg

Top Bottom