• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You could start a few tomatoes in hanging buckets to tide you over until you can get everything else in the ground . . .

Honestly I've thought about doing an entire bucket garden. Due to DoggyMama's health problems, we haven't canned anything for the past two seasons and doubt we'll do much if any this year. By BIL actually does that. He just grows tomatoes and peppers in 5 gallon buckets (not hanging though). No weeding, no tilling, and at the end of the season, he just puts the buckets in his storage shed till the next year. I'm not much of a veggie eater anyhow. Did you know that Beefsteak Tomatoes don't have any meat in them?? What a gyp! :):

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Only getting lettuce and spinach out of the garden now, but I can tell by the flowers there will be a load of strawberries in the future.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Only getting lettuce and spinach out of the garden now, but I can tell by the flowers there will be a load of strawberries in the future.

I'm still moving strawberry plants around to what I think I will be able to better maintain. Hopefully make for a better yield than the poor one last year.

A lot of the plants I'm moving have berries hanging along with the blossoms.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Anyone with creative interesting salad/salad dressing recipes? Maybe something keto?

I have a fair amount of greens, soon to start picking. I often grow tired of salads quickly. :rolleyes:

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Anyone with creative interesting salad/salad dressing recipes? Maybe something keto?

I have a fair amount of greens, soon to start picking. I often grow tired of salads quickly. :rolleyes:

I hear you.

What I like to do, is to steam spinach, collard greens, and kale. (I just happen to grow all three of these.) All of one, or a mix. Whatever you like. Then, a little seasoning, if that's your preference.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Honestly I've thought about doing an entire bucket garden. Due to DoggyMama's health problems, we haven't canned anything for the past two seasons and doubt we'll do much if any this year. By BIL actually does that. He just grows tomatoes and peppers in 5 gallon buckets (not hanging though). No weeding, no tilling, and at the end of the season, he just puts the buckets in his storage shed till the next year. I'm not much of a veggie eater anyhow. Did you know that Beefsteak Tomatoes don't have any meat in them?? What a gyp! :):

Yeah, me too. Tried to remind myself to check with restaurants for food grade empties but well, there's always something more pressing.

sngehl01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2018
    Elizabeth

I went through the whole Keto thing for a while. I am not consciously trying to eat no sugars/carbs, but I don't crave them now, so I don't eat them.

Try a hot bacon dressing on spinach. Killer. Big bowl of spinach + a couple soft boiled eggs + a nice cut of blue cheese + thick bacon crumbles + bacon dressing (bacon grease, red wine vinegar, garlic, dijon mustard, salt, pepper). Sometimes I throw some of my fermented chili's brine in it.

We really like kale/spinach in our scrambled eggs, topped with feta after cooking.

Try taking parchment paper and making tortilla sized "piles" of parmesean cheese (smooth pile). Bake at 350 until golden brown, pull out and let cool. Use that parm crisp to roll up your greens with whatever you want to eat with it. Meat, cheese, dressing, it. No carb wrap.

Salud!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ugh...

Put my coat and hat on to go out to pick a few rhubarb stalks a bit ago. :n00b: Glad my tomato and pepper plants are still at the nursery, waiting for me to purchase them.

Where's that global warming we keep getting thrown at us?

Still light at 8:45PM and temps in the 40's, in southern Indiana???

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ugh...

Put my coat and hat on to go out to pick a few rhubarb stalks a bit ago. :n00b: Glad my tomato and pepper plants are still at the nursery, waiting for me to purchase them.

Same crap weather up north here. Usually like to till the winters chicken poop in sometime in April in prep for planting around this time. So much rain in the last month its been impossible. Weather looks promising for the upcoming weekend. Hopefully the current forecast will hold true

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ugh...

There's your answer!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I raked the asparagus and garlic patches over the weekend...no sign of asparagus sprouting here yet. Garden is tilled with a load of manure added in. Flowers are starting to bloom all over the yard...so far just daffodil and crocus.

Why would you rake the asparagus patch? Keep throwing lawn clippings on it to cover anything in "slow compost mode". The asparagus just keeps growing through it and no weeding.;)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Amazon Prime Photos upload all the phone pics I take. Every day they send a reminder of pics on this day in years past. 2018's pic from a year ago this day had red strawberries...

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    They are predicting 5 whole days of rain-free weather in my area! Looks like I'll be able to get some work done that I've been putting off while building my ark! :wow:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Why would you rake the asparagus patch? Keep throwing lawn clippings on it to cover anything in "slow compost mode". The asparagus just keeps growing through it and no weeding.;)

The wet oak leaves were about a foot deep and were smothering everything. The asparagus wasn't up yet so I wanted to get them out of there so I could put down some straw. I live in the middle of the woods so there is a lot of leaf cleanup to do in the spring.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The wet oak leaves were about a foot deep and were smothering everything. The asparagus wasn't up yet so I wanted to get them out of there so I could put down some straw. I live in the middle of the woods so there is a lot of leaf cleanup to do in the spring.

I have to work to collect every leaf that I can so that I have enough for mulch and compost. I actually have to get them when they fall before most of them blow away. I'm sure the neighbors think that I'm being considerate.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have to work to collect every leaf that I can so that I have enough for mulch and compost. I actually have to get them when they fall before most of them blow away. I'm sure the neighbors think that I'm being considerate.

We rake them into the tractor loader bucket and haul them out into the woods or the orchard as far from the yard as possible so they don't blow back into all of my flower beds and the garden. It takes me about a month with two to three days of raking all day to get them cleaned up. They make great cover for my flowers over winter so I wait till spring to rake them. Some beds end up being raked multiple times because the wind blows the ones from the woods back into the beds. It is good exercise I guess.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I tilled today, for the second time in a couple areas. Once more tommorow should have it dry enough to lay down plastic mulch beds for tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and mellons.

Then to find room for another row of beans.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Was hoping to till tomorrow and then plant Saturday. Now they're calling for 3" of rain with hail and damaging winds on Thursday and Friday for NWI. Probably be putting it off for another week if the forecast holds true. Will probably go ahead and till tomorrow after work anyway. Gotta get it done at some point, even though the ground is still pretty saturated from this past weekends rain.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I am not planting until Memorial Day. My plants from the greenhouse are sitting in the garage waiting, but it is just too cold at night here to risk it. I'm tired of listening to the furnace run.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Elevated Arms
    Top Bottom