• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Ah. Yes. Hate them as well, though they have been much lighter this year for some reason. Soapy water is a good solution unless you have chickens. They love bobbing for beetles.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You know, Japanese Beetles.

Those little bastards do a hurtin' on my roses.
    Same with my Green beans. And procreatin' on them too. Went out last night to check stuff out and there were two pair of them on one leaf mating. :xmad: Picking up a beetle trap to put in my neighbor's yard. (Dick Crum fans will get that one)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My red raspberry patch seems to keep the Japanese beetles attention so they leave most of the rest of the garden alone.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I had 2 zucchini plants get hit with the larve that bores into the vine. Noticed some leaves turning yellow and dying and I knew I had pruned well to keep up good airflow to prevent mildew. Looked closer at the base of the plants and could see the little bastards handy work. Mushy looking holes.
    Cut those plants out and cut the vines apart and got around 10 "grubs" out and used them as fish bait. Paybacks are a *****.

Still have 4 zucchini plants left.

I used the new garden space to plant my fall harvest planting of some green beans. Also planted a couple brocoli seeds, and spinach for fall harvesting too.

Harvested my first ears of sweet corn today. Tastes amazing.

Have another batch of cucumbers to pickle today or tomorrow.
    I'll be pickling Friday morning. Another batch of garlic dill stackers.

I've had my dance with vine borers. None so far this year. Still early yet.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My squash/cuke/cantalope row had eggs on the leaves and I found a squash borer.

I dusted the plants with DE an hour before the downpour started yesterday. :rolleyes:

Sprayed them this evening with a neem oil and Dr Bonner peppermint soap solution. We'll see how long before it washes off.

20200721-171920.jpg

20200721-172414.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Went out this morning and discovered the coons attacked the corn patch. I put the live trap out baited with marshmallows.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    My squash/cuke/cantalope row had eggs on the leaves and I found a squash borer.

I dusted the plants with DE an hour before the downpour started yesterday. :rolleyes:

Sprayed them this evening with a neem oil and Dr Bonner peppermint soap solution. We'll see how long before it washes off.

20200721-171920.jpg

20200721-172414.jpg
    Those little SOB's have put me in a mood that makes me want to turn soil to glass. My first gardening Nemesis. I feel your pain.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Started picking some of my grapes, the Frontenac's were hurt by frost this year and nearly obliterated by black rot last year. I'm hoping to get enough between last years frozen and this years fresh to get 5 gallons of wine going.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Finally trapped and moved the chipmunk that was eating all our ripe tomatoes. There are LOTS of them around the house this year. No doubt they are targeting the hazel nuts next. We need to hire a rat snake.

Between the rabbits, the squash vine borers, the cabbage loopers and the house sparrows, we'll be lucky to have anything left. Unfortunately they aren't touching the peppers and okra.

At least the spearmint and chives are doing well. And the purslane.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Found a new infestation of squash bugs on the zukes. Writing them off. All the rain made a good 2+ qts of cherry tomatoes split before we could get to them between storms.
    Picked another dz cucumbers, adding to make enough for 7 qts of B&B pickles. Had 2 jars break in the canner. That's a first, let alone 2.
    Still waiting on enough tomatoes for salsa. Probably won't happen. We did have a good BLT lunch though, so I'm content for now.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Finally trapped and moved the chipmunk that was eating all our ripe tomatoes. There are LOTS of them around the house this year. No doubt they are targeting the hazel nuts next. We need to hire a rat snake.

The one(s) we have keep tripping the rat traps. Ready to do the 5 gallon bucket trap. I don’t want to lose tomato’s this year!

pulling onions. Think some potatoes are getting close to ready (starting to turn colors).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The one(s) we have keep tripping the rat traps. Ready to do the 5 gallon bucket trap. I don’t want to lose tomato’s this year!

pulling onions. Think some potatoes are getting close to ready (starting to turn colors).

What works for me:

Put a dab of peanut butter on the trigger of your rat trap.
    Sprinkle black oil sunflower seeds all over and around the trap carefully.
    Then to keep birds out put an upside down washing bucket raised up 3-4" by a brick under each side. (if birds see the sunflowers they will trip the trap)

Works wonders. They get so excited they end up tripping the trap as they scurry all over it. They dont have to even touch the trigger. Kicking the bar does just as well.

Ive killed the last 5 that way.

Top Bottom