• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Frost-Tolerance1-400x258.png

https://www.gettystewart.com/frost-tolerance-of-common-herbs-and-vegetables/

Weather Channel...

forcast-5-7-20.png

1Weather...

Screenshot-20200507-111432-1-Weather.jpg

Last edited:

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    First year doing anything more than a couple tomato plants. Count us in the "pandemic garden" group.

Just finished building two 4x8 beds for She who is to be obeyed. 50/50 mix should be trucked in tomorrow. Got plenty of seedlings ready to go in, lettuce, swiss chard, okra, radish, peppers, leeks, beans, etc. I figure this first year will be a lot of trial and error, a hobby that we can maybe eat off of. Not expecting to win any prizes, but ya gotta start somewhere. No chance of recovering what we've spent so far, but it'll give her something to do when I get back to work.

If all goes well, we'll also be experimenting with canning later this year.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    If your in the NWI area high of 44° tomorrow with a low of 29° Friday night into Saturday morning.

Got my greenhouse up just in time

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Glad I didn't have all of the tomatoes out yet or any of the peppers.

Wall-O Waters around the half dozen tomatoes in the ground...

20200507-164057.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not sure how much of a feeeze we got last eve, but there was a solid frosting this morning. It was 31 when I went to bed last night.

LilEnis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2020
    Boonvegas
    I cover my tomato last night got cold an frosty. Late frost I can remember but not saying much I dont remember like i use to lol. I start some in the house in case some die I just re place but then take that much longer be for they ready to pick.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I cover my tomato last night got cold an frosty. Late frost I can remember but not saying much I dont remember like i use to lol. I start some in the house in case some die I just re place but then take that much longer be for they ready to pick.

Yup. I always start a few extra plants in case I lose any of my first plants for some reason. Comes in handy sometimes and doesn't really cost much extra effort of money.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I lost my entire garden last night. Both tomato plants! :): I had them covered but I used black plastic trash bags. They weren't touching the plants (the cages protected the plants), so I thought they'd be okay. I was wrong. I brought all my hanging baskets inside, and covered a big planter out front with an old bed sheet and it was fine. Lesson learned.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Dont have a heat set up for my greenhouse I just put up last week so to help add some heat last night I used 1 of my heat lamps from when I had chickens. Was able to maintain 54° as my low temp overnight. Pleasantly surprised one bulb was able to keep it 25° warmer than the outside temp.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Just finished planting 2 1/2 25 foot rows of green beans and 15 zucchini seeds.

Waiting another week to plant tomatoes and bell peppers.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Only partly gardening:
    SWMBO is on a multiple-elimination diet which greatly restricts what she can eat. Greens are encouraged. We have a large silver maple tree next to the house, and this is the time of year when it rains seeds. Combine all that and you get: eating maple seeds. Squeeze them out of the wing and the resulting seed tastes a lot like raw peas. This supposedly works for all maple seeds, though most sources recommend getting them before they fall. We don't know yet about other maples - too early for them. And not applicable for Norway maples - we'll see.

Weather forecast says we should be able to get all the planting in on Wednesday. Though I hope something kills the green peppers - I don't like eating stuff that tastes like burnt insulation.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    I lost my entire garden last night. Both tomato plants! :): I had them covered but I used black plastic trash bags. They weren't touching the plants (the cages protected the plants), so I thought they'd be okay. I was wrong. I brought all my hanging baskets inside, and covered a big planter out front with an old bed sheet and it was fine. Lesson learned.
    I lost 6 rows of sweet corn and 1 row of potatoes. What tomato plants I covered with a 5 gal. plastic bucket survived. I sure hope this is the last freeze for the season. Got my sweetcorn replanted today. I am going to wait on the potatoes and see if they come back from any eyes left on the potato underground.

Top Bottom