• ...and so much more!
  • MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Been a while since I've been involved in a group buy and then it was usually mags or ammo.

Group buy on canning lids? :joke:
    I thought about that also. Decided to keep my mouth shut, because group buys often turn to :poop:.
    Ha! I was thinking group buy also. Only issue is what lids are more popular. I use mostly wide mouth, and I already have a case of regular size. If I were to do it, I would go for wide mouth.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Picked about 3 doz or so green tomatoes this past Sunday. 6 have already ripened. The rest are setting on a table to see if they ripen. Also picked 2 dozen green peppers. That was all that was left in the garden.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Crocus Sativus Corms bulbs in(you still have a little time,but not long.). Saffron flowers :)

Fire will be happening soon(leaf burning) on the garden. Then I am adding basalt powder as the garden needs more than the basics. https://www.redbudsoilcompany.com/b...basalt-rock-dust-how-do-i-use-it-in-my-garden

I think I want to till the basalt/ash in now before the ground freezes,but I might wait until spring. What does INGO think on that one?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Crocus Sativus Corms bulbs in(you still have a little time,but not long.). Saffron flowers :)

Fire will be happening soon(leaf burning) on the garden. Then I am adding basalt powder as the garden needs more than the basics. https://www.redbudsoilcompany.com/b...basalt-rock-dust-how-do-i-use-it-in-my-garden

I think I want to till the basalt/ash in now before the ground freezes,but I might wait until spring. What does INGO think on that one?
    My thoughts are get it in the ground so it can get broken down.

Have you had your soil tested?
    If you have alkaline ground like I do, burning in the garden is a no no

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Turned the last picking of tomatoes, peppers and such into fermented salsa. Made 4 1/2 gallons. :runaway:

First time lacto-fermenting salsa. We'll have to see how it goes. I'm happy with the first batch taste wise. Time will tell for sure how the whole run does. 20221022_012002.jpg

Last edited:

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Picked a small amount of green bell peppers the other day, before the freeze was supposed to hit. Chopped them up and put them in the dehydrator. Started out with about 3 cups, wound up with an 8oz jar full. Got the inspiration from @bwframe .:thumbsup:

We still have a cauliflower in the garden on the side of the house. It got ravaged by bugs, so I thought it was done for. Once we got a light frost and the bugs were gone, the thing started putting out new leaves. I'm going to dig it up, put it in a pot, and put it in the basement by the sliding door. We have a rutgers tomato plant there now- it got a little frost damage, but over the last week it has been putting on new growth and new blooms! I have a bell pepper in the side garden that I am thinking of digging up and adding to the over-winter collection.

Funny thing about the cauliflower- We had one further up in the side garden, where we had some last year(as well as sweet 100's and brussels sprouts) that did awesome. Big huge leaves, nice full compact head. Never seemed to have issues with bugs on it, where the one lower down got decimated. The only thing I can figure is that last year I used BT in the upper section.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Garden is empty. We had so many tomatoes we forgot about a dozen green and yellow ones stacked in the back edge of the garden. Nothing goes to waist here as three deer munched or bit them all last night. Daughter and boyfriend pulled in and the deer were having supper on the stack.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Has anyone saved pumpkin seeds and planted them the following year?

I know with some small wonder squash(hybrid) I had in the garden one year, the volunteers that came up the next year were not anything like the parent plant.

I saved seeds from this years halloween pumpkins, plan on trying them out next year. The pumpkins were from a local patch, so I have no idea what variety they are.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I know with some small wonder squash(hybrid) I had in the garden one year, the volunteers that came up the next year were not anything like the parent plant.

I saved seeds from this years halloween pumpkins, plan on trying them out next year. The pumpkins were from a local patch, so I have no idea what variety they are.

My kabocha's this year are from last year's saved seed. 1667273528520.png

I had germination success with saved butternut also, but the patch was in a poor location to produce fruit. Both were heirlooms.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

I never saved any,but used to throw the "guts" from carving pumpkins over the fence. To this day that fence line is a now wild pumpkin patch. They get a ton of competition though and have produced few pumpkins the last 8 years or so,but a few every year(enough to keep the cycle going, apparently going on 20+ years now).

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle

The first pumpkin vine we had was from just cleaning out the seeds, we got a few decent pumpkins from it, the year after my son must have left some gourds laying because we had two vines come up, probably had 50 gourds laying around, this year we had one pumpkin vine, it only produced one pumpkin and it was pretty late, it grew pretty big but leaks and just isn’t lasting. I grabbed a handful of seeds from our pumpkins this year to plant come spring.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Do you have a source I can look at for the process and materials you used?

Idea came from Melissa Norris in a recent video. Others will turn up as suggestions, or if you search Youtube.

The only "twist" I add is that I go heavy on the salt, the same as I do for other fermenting brine solutions. I use a 5% brine calculation.

Had to purchase some cilantro from kroger for a couple of the gallons of salsa, cause I didn't have any growing. I'm just as content with the parsley, basil and oregano that I did have growing used in the other three gallons. I also subbed lime juice concentrate I keep on hand, rather than fresh lime.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Anybody cultivate yellow raspberries? We started looking at this when the gardener got a plant which we kept in the greenhouse and planted this spring. It has spread around and is still producing berries today, ate three this evening. We are looking at moving this plant to the new garden and getting more going as they can start from cuttings.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Idea came from Melissa Norris in a recent video. Others will turn up as suggestions, or if you search Youtube.

The only "twist" I add is that I go heavy on the salt, the same as I do for other fermenting brine solutions. I use a 5% brine calculation.

Had to purchase some cilantro from kroger for a couple of the gallons of salsa, cause I didn't have any growing. I'm just as content with the parsley, basil and oregano that I did have growing used in the other three gallons. I also subbed lime juice concentrate I keep on hand, rather than fresh lime.

What about those nifty lids I see? Do they play any special role? Looking into the information you provided. Thank you.

Top Bottom