• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will admit that's a skill I wish I had learned.

Those are a skill that takes a lot of time/effort.
    If you love it you will make the time and take the effort.
    If not you will cruise the local butcher shops.

Did a lot of hunting/fishing as a kid. We had a place to do it. Not so much anymore.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This is the time of year where a lot of us get reminded that we have spent too much time on the couch. :twocents:
    Tilled for two hours today also. Run the dumb end of the shovel and wheel barrel for a couple/three hours more later.
    Pace yourself.

First real picking this morning. This is why we do it:

20170514_104031_zpsndvqi5yu.jpg

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My tiller is a 1968 Front tine that Dad bought new. It has had the engine replaced with a Harbor freight 6.5 HP Honda knock off.
    If you stay in one place, let it dig in deep with the drag bar down it will eat anything in front of it.
    If you try and run the top you are in for a really rough time.

Dad has some old tiller that was my grandads but it leaks fuel like crazy. This thing I rented didn't even have any kind of reverse on it so whenever I had to back up and make another run over an area it was manual drag back up. It was full on fight the machine the whole time

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    This is the time of year where a lot of us get reminded that we have spent too much time on the couch. :twocents:
    Tilled for two hours today also. Run the dumb end of the shovel and wheel barrel for a couple/three hours more later.
    Pace yourself.

I did the first turn on my garden yesterday and I hurt all day today...need to hit it again to get the soil where I want it...

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I once got the bright idea to get a tiller like that and be all green and crap. Never. Again. Ever. Veggies magically appear in the Kroger produce section in my current worldview.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    A "no till" garden is better for you and the soil. Check out the thousands of references on how to do it on google. I tilled my garden in 28 years ago and have not touched it with a tiller since then. My worms and bio-infrastructure are very happy.

I do something similar to this: https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-make-a-lasagna-garden-2539877
    Sometimes it looks kinda ugly, mostly in the winter/early spring when not much is growing. It does make good soil, and I am over any desire to buy/rent a tiller.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Pace yourself.

First real picking this morning. This is why we do it:

20170514_104031_zpsndvqi5yu.jpg
    I am a week or two away still. I love fresh strawberry season...

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    Y'all are crazy. I buy my produce from Kroger...

There is something magical about biting into a Russian Krim or Cherokee Purple tomato that tastes like nothing you'll ever get from the supermarket. It's as if every good possible thing about a tomato was distilled and put into that bite.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Reminds me of a funny thing that happened several years ago when a friend of mine's brother attempted to til their mom's garden.
    He'd never used a tiller before.
    It was a front tine tiller, and he was a little skinny guy.

When he attempted to lower the blades into the dirt, they just grabbed the ground and pulled him running across the garden.

He kept turning around and trying it again, and every time it dragged him running across the garden, and with every try, we were all laughing more.

By this time, after trying it several times he was exhausted, and WE were all laughing so hard we could hardly stand up! :):

So his brother (my friend) took over and did it.

We laugh about that story every year about this time.

Top Bottom