• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I had some last year potatoes growing lots of eyes in the root cellar. Combined with the nice weather, thought I'd redo last years potato bed and plant those anxious ones a month early.

Moving mulch from one end of the bed to the other, I discovered nearly a 5 gallon bucket of missed potatoes. Noticeably more than that if you count the bad ones thrown away.

Fresh fried potatoes for dinner this evening.:)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If we plant nothing else we ALWAYS have a couple varieties of tomatoes and at least 4 kinds of peppers. I like to put out 4 bell peppers, 2 jalapenos, 2 Cayenne, and a couple of habaneros...If I feel like it I put in 2 hills of cucumber and just let them climb my fence. We farm 20 feet by 25 feet and if you do it right you can get a TON of veggies out of it. We make salsa and can it, whatever we don't eat after that I dehydrate and we use all winter.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    With all this rain and current temps above freezing, I know we all are getting the itch to get our of the house and enjoy the outdoors. Wanting to plant some other herbs in a few days in flower pots and maybe a planter of lavender to help boost the mind for motivation that spring is actually coming.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We might try to use straw bales--saw it on a FB video; plenty of stuff online.
    Mom did this a couple of years ago, mixed results at best. I didn't read into it any and just went off what she said to do and how to do it. I know she hasn't thought about it since.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Mom did this a couple of years ago, mixed results at best. I didn't read into it any and just went off what she said to do and how to do it. I know she hasn't thought about it since.

Seen a few ideas on pinterest about this. Any new technique catches my eye. Doesn't hurt to try because what if right.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Had greenhouse salad today, lettuce, tomatoes, spinach, and peppers from the greenhouse. I figure that if for some reason veggies weren't available in the store, we could grow enough to keep two old people eating.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    If we plant nothing else we ALWAYS have a couple varieties of tomatoes and at least 4 kinds of peppers. I like to put out 4 bell peppers, 2 jalapenos, 2 Cayenne, and a couple of habaneros...If I feel like it I put in 2 hills of cucumber and just let them climb my fence. We farm 20 feet by 25 feet and if you do it right you can get a TON of veggies out of it. We make salsa and can it, whatever we don't eat after that I dehydrate and we use all winter.

We do a similar layout during the growing season, minus the really hot peppers, wife is more partial to honeydew melons. Some plants get moved into the greenhouse at the end of the season, others are started for indoor growing. Thanks for the rep.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Currently have corn, lettuce, peas, cilantro, carrots, onions, and sweet peppers growing indoors. Can't wait for the weather to stay decent so I can transplant outside. This is the first year I've ever started growing indoors. Totally worth it

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Never started corn, peas or carrots inside.... have you had luck doing this in the past?

It's the first time I've done this also. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Carrots are in containers that will not get replanted. Corn and peas are growing great.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I wanted to make a garden last year but I had 2 back surgeries. This year I'm going to try and have one.
    I want carrots, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, rubarb, and cucumbers. I would love to make a raised garden bed out of cinder blocks instead of 2x6 or 2x8. Hopefully by spring my back can handle it.

Anyone have luck on growing berries? Getting apple trees is my ultimate dream along with having some bee hives, but I live in town and can't do this nor have the land I want to do this on.

On the shady part of my yard I grow pumpkins.

What else does everyone grow on their property?

Why can't you have bee hives? You can put them almost anywhere, even in a small apartment back patio. Honeybees mostly ignore people as long as the people ignore them.

There are lots of folks willing to help out, this is a map of mentors that will help teach and take care of hives. There are even more folks with beehives around the city.

Central Indiana Beekeepers Association - Bees and Beekeeping in an Urban Environment
    bee_mentors.png

Last edited:

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Why can't you have bee hives? You can put them almost anywhere, even in a small apartment back patio. Honeybees mostly ignore people as long as the people ignore them.

There are lots of folks willing to help out, this is a map of mentors that will help teach and take care of hives. There are even more folks with beehives around the city.

Central Indiana Beekeepers Association - Bees and Beekeeping in an Urban Environment
    View attachment 65344

Town ordnance. Hives can NOT be visible. I am in the process of seeing about getting a privacy fence (I'm on a corner lot, not to mention 2 lots) so this is a cluster. As soon as I get my fence built I will get bees forsure and get ducks for some eggs

Top Bottom