• ...and so much more!
  • fuddus99

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Lawrence, IN
    I am in the market for some new shooting glasses and a friend of mine works in the industry mentioned gargoyles eyewear and how they're a big deal amongst law enforcement and military.

I'd never heard of them before then and it looks like they're priced about the same as Oakleys or Smith (both of which I have owned). Reviews seem solid on them. Anyone here have advice on how these stack up against the competition? Do they hold up over time? My Smiths fell apart faster than any pair of glasses I've ever owned. Are there other brands I should be looking at? Thanks!

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    The Terminator seemed to like them...
    terminatorposter.jpg

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I got a pair in clear and tinted at a very big discount way back when they first came out. They didn't really fit me well and I never saw what was so great about them. Still have them in a drawer with a bunch of other old sunglasses I should have rid myself of years ago. Count me as another guy surprised that they are still being made in their original shape and style.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    ... a friend of mine works in the industry mentioned gargoyles eyewear and how they're a big deal amongst law enforcement and military.

They aren't. Other than in US Cavalry and Gall's catalogs in the late 90's, I've never seen a pair in the wild and I've spent pretty much my entire adult life in .mil or LE. Oakley, Wiley-X, and ESS seem to be the big players. I've still got some Wiley-X's from 2004-ish that are sunglasses but with cups around the lenses so they are also sorta-goggles for light sand storms. My current shooting glasses are ESS with interchangeable lenses with various color options and a clear lens.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    They aren't. Other than in US Cavalry and Gall's catalogs in the late 90's, I've never seen a pair in the wild and I've spent pretty much my entire adult life in .mil or LE. Oakley, Wiley-X, and ESS seem to be the big players. I've still got some Wiley-X's from 2004-ish that are sunglasses but with cups around the lenses so they are also sorta-goggles for light sand storms. My current shooting glasses are ESS with interchangeable lenses with various color options and a clear lens.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone wear Gargoyles either. I had a lot of Oakleys for a while, but the lenses always de-laminated on the inside where they were near my face (I must have toxic sweat) so I tried ESS. and like them more. I haven't had any of the same lens issues and they survived a baffle strike that blew a suppressor apart where I was standing to the side of the shooter facing him.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I’m still deep into Oakley, but awhile back I picked up some Smith Optics with clear lenses for driving, and am really digging them. Funny thing is, they remind me of USGI BCG’s, or “catch me **** me” glasses.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Also look at the new Magpul shooting glasses. They look pretty cool - definitely good enough to wear as all around sunglasses.
    They look nice, but when I inquired about them at NRA’19, they didn’t have good answers about ballistic testing. For sunglasses, I have a pair or two, but for anything else, I color them, suspect. For reference, when Emerson Knives released their shades, I contacted them and asked about ballistic testing, and they sent me forms from independent labs on their glasses. Magpul, didn’t have an answer as to whether their ballistic qualities were tested by an independent lab. Mind you I still bought two pair, because they were the HEAT. I just don’t wear them on the range. I haven’t followed up to see if their paid spokesmen didn’t know the product, but...

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Save your money. They scratch easily and the arms break easily as well. I love Ray Bans, but they're expensive and have their own issues. Shady Rays are my latest purchase and they're as clear as Ray Bans without the high cost.

Top Bottom