Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Well now we're in my area of expertise and this is most certainly not the case.

So if guy shot by the trooper on 231 had drawn his gun and fired some rounds would we know about that? I think we would because it fits the narrative. Did the ISP or the Prosecutors office say that his gun never left the holster and no rounds were fired. Of course not. Why? Because it did not help their case.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Since some department like the state police are not doing it on there own. A law seems necessary. The lawsuits and settlements prevented should cover the cost. When the shooting is justified and on video no need to settle.
    IMPD estimates it needs $2 Mil a year to run the program for the entire department. I promise you that lawsuits come nowhere near that. So if the State mandates them, what shall the department divert the money from? That cost is about the same as putting 100 new patrol vehicles on the street a year. It's about the same cost as hiring 30 new officers a year. Those are our largest single expenditures. We would have to pick one. That is why we will likely not go to them for a VERY long time as we don't have the extra funds and no one is willing to raise taxes to increase our budget.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So if guy shot by the trooper on 231 had drawn his gun and fired some rounds would we know about that? I think we would because it fits the narrative. Did the ISP or the Prosecutors office say that his gun never left the holster and no rounds were fired. Of course not. Why? Because it did not help their case.

What I am saying is that not blathering on to the public about an ongoing investigation is a path taken, not to "fit a narrative", or to defend but for many other reasons.

One example- you have one chance to state things accurately and precisely. Public statements made prematurely often lack accuracy and precision and once made, any later corrections are seen as "cover up." Avoid accusations of cover-up by taking the time to get it right. That does not happen overnight, or even over the course of several days. That's just one.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    What I am saying is that not blathering on to the public about an ongoing investigation is a path taken, not to "fit a narrative", or to defend but for many other reasons.

One example- you have one chance to state things accurately and precisely. Public statements made prematurely often lack accuracy and precision and once made, any later corrections are seen as "cover up." Avoid accusations of cover-up by taking the time to get it right. That does not happen overnight, or even over the course of several days. That's just one.

I know what you were saying. It may be the case sometimes. But I do not share you faith in the legal system.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    IMPD estimates it needs $2 Mil a year to run the program for the entire department. I promise you that lawsuits come nowhere near that. So if the State mandates them, what shall the department divert the money from? That cost is about the same as putting 100 new patrol vehicles on the street a year. It's about the same cost as hiring 30 new officers a year. Those are our largest single expenditures. We would have to pick one. That is why we will likely not go to them for a VERY long time as we don't have the extra funds and no one is willing to raise taxes to increase our budget.

Cameras are not perfect but certainly would help. Justice should not be denied because of money. Especially when often times lives are at stake.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008

I love when you bring logic into conversations and not emotions.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Cameras are not perfect but certainly would help. Justice should not be denied because of money. Especially when often times lives are at stake.
    I like cameras. My fear is that people believe that what THEY see on the camera is accurate and the ONLY way the scene was viewed...and it's not.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I like cameras. My fear is that people believe that what THEY see on the camera is accurate and the ONLY way the scene was viewed...and it's not.

I agree with you. The video has short comings but also advantages. I think it is worth the cost.

Top Bottom