• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    My home is gas and the lines to the fireplace and kitchen run through the basement ceiling rafters. I am building an outdoor kitchen and am considering going with natural gas instead of propane for the grill. My question is this: how hard is it to tap into the existing gas line and extend a run of pipe out to my deck? I have never done such a thing before therefore it is solidly outside of my comfort zone.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Hi and thanks for posting.. it depends if you have a union or a short nipple that you could cut and take out and put the fittings back on. They sell flexible gas line and fittings at Lowe's that will make the job very easy. If I was closer I could be more help. Plenty of help here to get it done. Good luck Tim

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My home is gas and the lines to the fireplace and kitchen run through the basement ceiling rafters. I am building an outdoor kitchen and am considering going with natural gas instead of propane for the grill. My question is this: how hard is it to tap into the existing gas line and extend a run of pipe out to my deck? I have never done such a thing before therefore it is solidly outside of my comfort zone.

Is the pipe black steel pipe or the yellow flex stuff.
    How far is it.
    Is there a way to get there with out setting charges and clearing the way.

wabashman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Only concern I'd have with tapping into the existing line is reducing the volume of gas available to your appliances. I'd tap into the main trunk line instead of the fire place, or oven line. This would at least minimize the reduction of gas pressure loss.

The pressure issue could be a simple fix at the regulator, or could require a higher output regulator to be installed.

Tapping into black pipe is easy enough to do.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Make sure to add a gas rated isolation valve. That way, if something happens in the yard, you can isolate it without having to shut off the entire house.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Like tmshuller said find the union in your gas pipe system hopefully there is a short piece of pipe called a nipple that you could take out & put back a Tee with 2 shorter nipples on each side. That would give you a place to tap into the gas system. You will want a piece of flex pipe at the end just before your appliance to allow movement of the appliance. Just remember that when you get everything back together check for leaks with a spray bottle of dish soap & water, NOT a lighter! Then you can bury or cover the line.

310Uxxxx.jpg Black pipe union 312Txxxx.jpg Black pipe Tee

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Is the pipe black steel pipe or the yellow flex stuff.
    How far is it.
    Is there a way to get there with out setting charges and clearing the way.

The existing lines are black pipe. They are easily accessible as I have not yet finished the basement ceiling in the area where the pipe is.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I knew an HVAC installer that would test for gas leaks using a torch. He wasn't all there...

There was a character that worked for the gas company in a small town that came out to find a gas leak that was at the meter. He use a lighter. When it light she said there she is, then slapped it out with a rag. Seemed kind of stupid. I new where it was. I found it with some soapy water earlier but I guess he didn't believe me. It was before the meter so I did not want to mess with it. He fixed it without shutting the gas off. Scary stuff.

He undid the union. Screwed on a shutoff valve and re-plumbed the meter base. He said the pressure was 4-5lb's. He held his hand over the open end of the pipe while he was working. It did not leak anymore when he left. I guess his method was not OSHA approved. Although this was the 70's.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I've always been told go back to the manifold if you can rather than tap existing lines. We have a grill plumbed to the house gas line and I love it. Haven't filled a tank in six years. While you're at it you may want to leave a side port to add an outdoor fire pit or gas feature for the porch. Could look really neat on the cool evenings.

One concern I have is a hoodlum turning my burners on but it hasn't happened yet, though I have left it on for two days twice before :(

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    When I added a gas stove in my kitchen, I went under the house and saw that there were no unions in the black iron pipe, so I started at the furnace and removed the pipe back to the elbow where the main line turned up toward the furnace. I replaced that elbow with a Tee and re-connected everything back to the furnace just like it had been, then I went from the open part of the Tee and plumbed from there to the kitchen. I measured for my new pipe and got it cut to order at the hardware store. I ended up making a couple of extra trips to the hardware to have pieces cut, since I had to assemble the long pieces first, getting to the kitchen, then I could get the exact measurement of the last piece so that I could get it right where I wanted it under the new gas stove.

When it was all done, I took some soapy water and a brush and leak-tested everything.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    One of my Dads river rat buddies worked for the gas company. He always used a lighter to check for leaks.
    He even said they have welded pipes with pressure on them.

Bud always said as long as pressure is there pushing your ok.

I can tell you for certain that I don't have large enough nads to weld a live gas pipe.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    if you use any of the flex lines(Tracpipe,Homeflex,ect) make sure you ground it with a ground wire.....run the wire to a ground rod......don't rely on the blackpipe gas line to be grounded....

Top Bottom