Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Anti-C (anti-contamination) without the mask

0876907.jpg

Real fun in a Reactor Compartment just after the shutdown.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Gas masks are the reason i ditched the red dot on my primary rifle and went back to a carry handle i just couldn't make consistent shots while twisting my head like that.

And the 53rd is the only wmd cst in indiana i sat at the house and talked to several of them at atterbury. they're how i found out about the live ricin at Anniston

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Shooting in a mask is a skill; a necessary skill. If artillery hits and doesn't got boom...put on your mask. If you see smoke...put on you mask. If you're in a firefight and there's fire/smoke...put on your mask. If in doubt...put on your mask.

And by the way....GAS! GAS! GAS! ...put on your mask.

Now go to war young man. I'll be waiting here with my mask on.

Remember how bases did siren tests (30 seconds or less is a test) at 1100 or 1200 one day per week when no exercises were taking place? When you reach for your gas mask on those days? Yeah, I've done that.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Gas masks are the reason i ditched the red dot on my primary rifle and went back to a carry handle i just couldn't make consistent shots while twisting my head like that.

I never had an issue with the red dot while wearing either of mine (MSA 1000 and a newer one that I can't remember the name of). I lengthen the stock all the way and pretty much just set it on my shoulder with the rifle turned completely inward. It works very well and is a lot more stable than you would think. We wear them doing force on force with simunitions. You learn really quickly what works and what gets you a body full of welts. You do have to remember that your offset it turned 90 degrees.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Remember how bases did siren tests (30 seconds or less is a test) at 1100 or 1200 one day per week when no exercises were taking place? When you reach for your gas mask on those days? Yeah, I've done that.

Air Force bases still do a weekly test of the "Giant Voice" mass notification system.

Spent days and days in MOPP Gear, in Germany in the 80's. Longest I ever wore the M-17 Mask was 10 hours at Ahlhorn Air Base, Germany. It was always reassuring knowing that if the Soviets ever attacked and overran the base, we were going to get nuked by our own forces. NATO did not want the commies capturing Allied Air Assets.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I never had an issue with the red dot while wearing either of mine (MSA 1000 and a newer one that I can't remember the name of). I lengthen the stock all the way and pretty much just set it on my shoulder with the rifle turned completely inward. It works very well and is a lot more stable than you would think. We wear them doing force on force with simunitions. You learn really quickly what works and what gets you a body full of welts. You do have to remember that your offset it turned 90 degrees.

I have a fixed "entry" stock on my gun and that probably plays a big role in my problems. I am going to switch to the magpul moe sl and i will probably do as you and lengthen the stock and get a decent picture. Its funny you mentioned the offset, i recently had some force on force training and was putting rounds off to the side because the gun was canted to get around the mask/helmet.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Air Force bases still do a weekly test of the "Giant Voice" mass notification system.

Spent days and days in MOPP Gear, in Germany in the 80's. Longest I ever wore the M-17 Mask was 10 hours at Ahlhorn Air Base, Germany. It was always reassuring knowing that if the Soviets ever attacked and overran the base, we were going to get nuked by our own forces. NATO did not want the commies capturing Allied Air Assets.

Those were different times Snoop. When you didn't come out of the mask (go from Condition Black back to Condition Yellow) with 45 minutes it was going to be a while. I was never MOPP 4 more than 3-4 hours but that was at Moody (Valdosta, Ga). The heat was a big factor down there. I had a bud who PCSd from Hahn AB, Germany to Moody in 88. After 5 years at Hahn the heat in Georgia about wiped him out the first Phase II.

Have you had any luck getting the Indy Star article scanned? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

Yeah...just got back from Andrews, they still do lots of 'drills'. I remember having to go to work every Tuesday till noon in MOP 4...that was lots of fun.

Top Bottom