• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    What about EYE PROTECTION, though? That's you're most valued sense.

I guess that's what I'm trying to resolve.

One of the earlier posters mentioned the problems associated w/ prescription glasses and gas masks.

Other than "tear gas" is there really a need to seal off the eyes?
    Safety goggles or safety glasses along with a particulate mask should be enough (?)

versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    I guess we'll just have to see for ourselves some day...

A lot of newer ones arn't bad at all. Purpose built for maximum comfort, range of sight, and mobility. That's right! We don't have to pee on them, any more. haha

And United, if you wern't going to get them, you should have told us sooner!

swatdoc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Franklin
    You're wearing the gas mask essentially so bad things cannot enter your body. Your lungs and nasal passages are mucous membranes along with your eyes, so you need to protect both.

United

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    And United, if you wern't going to get them, you should have told us sooner!

haha, sorry! Just joined the site a few days ago. Had i known about this site last week or two I most definitely would have posted!

I like to keep an eye on that GovDeals, and search by zip code. Never know what the locals will unload next!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Stay away from this model/ type of mask it utilizes internal filters! Unless you know when/where to decon every 24 hours so you can take the mask OFF and change the filters out. :twocents:

Also, the M-17 filters are very shallow so have to be replaced often to continue to provide protection. Any of the NATO masks that use the standard canister filters are better choices.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Also, the M-17 filters are very shallow so have to be replaced often to continue to provide protection. Any of the NATO masks that use the standard canister filters are better choices.
    M17. Boy does that take me back! The gas house, Lackland AFB 1983. Such fond memories! :laugh:
    :patriot:

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Most things you could use a gas mask for wouldn't irritate your skin.

Burning tire smoke
    MACE
    Tear gas
    You scare the hell out of people (Come on, wearing one is intimidating)
    Chlorine gas
    Mustard gas (not 100% on this one..)
    They (filters) don't go bad from being opened and let sit idle. Only after too much USE do they expire. I keep one in each of my cars.

They're a cheap necessity.
    Ever been in chlorine gas? A cloud that can be seen will not only irritate your skin but could stop your vehicle engine should you be foolish enough to drive through it. If skin is wet you can expect something like a very bad sunburn almost instantly. If only damp perhaps less. If wet you will get out of cloud. If you live any facility with large quantity of chlorine remember to not try to drive through cloud even if MOPPed up.

truckie166

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    I know that there is a brand called MSA that allows for a special frame to be placed inside of the mask so if you have glassed you can still see out of them. Also the canisters do have a shelf life even if unopened. This is usually around ten years or so.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I've seen the add from Centerfire, and for the price, thought about getting some. I wear glasses though, so I'm wanting a mask that I can work that out with. I know that the nato (or US) masks allow for optholic(sp) inserts for the eye pieces. Are there any that allow for some sort of glasses inside the mask?

MSA makes some that are styled after SCBA masks most of them take the inserts.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Remember if it is bad enough that you need to wear a gas mask then you probably should be wearing the whole thing MOPP Suit, Boots and Gloves.

If you are dead set on purchasing a mask get a modern one. Ensure it has external filters that can be changed out without losing the seal of the mask. If you need glasses, buy the inserts for that mask at the time of purchase.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    A good rainsuit and some duct tape could get pretty close to level A and B. StepO would be a little far of a reach for the unknown. Decon would depend on what you are dealing with- but a lot of things can be dealt with easily by clorox....

Top Bottom